I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Itching
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Itching  (Read 2253 times)
BigDadii

« on: January 19, 2016, 09:28:11 PM »

I'm itching all over !!
Tell me how to stop ITCHING :pray;

I can do anything through Christ Jesus
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:57:43 PM »

I'm itching all over !!
Tell me how to stop ITCHING :pray;

High phosphorous levels coupled with not enough dialysis number one cause of excessive itching.  On your monthly labs - does your phosphorous run between 3.4-4.6?  If not, are you taking your binders religiously with meals and big snacks?  Are you dialyzing at least 4.5 hours per treatment? 

Gabapentin is a medication prescribed to dialysis patients who experience constant itching problems.

Also, READ this previous IHD topic on itching:   http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30708.msg477169#msg477169
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:28:43 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:12 AM »

For temporary relief try showering with water as hot as you can stand.  It causes the nerves to report heat, that masks the nerves sending the itch signal.  Long term the phosphorous reply is dead on.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »

Hello,
I always shower with warm (not hot !) water
and after my shower I always put some anti-allergic non-perfumed baby-lotion all over my body...
...That stops any itching "to come along" and if there is some itching during the day (very rarely though),
I just put a little cream on that spot and that takes care of that ... I certainly would never use hot water on my skin,
because hot water would only dry-out my skin and that would then be the cause of serious itching.
A dermatologist once told me that itching is the result of dry skin...
Good luck from Kristina  :grouphug;

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »