I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Chronic UTIs - Nearing the End of my Rope!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chronic UTIs - Nearing the End of my Rope!  (Read 3658 times)
RuthWells

« on: November 30, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I hope that you all won't hold it against me.  ;)  I am a second-generation PKD patient, almost 4 years post-transplant (whoo hoo!) thanks to my very generous older brother.  I'm running into issues now that my neph and urologist seem to be having a hard time addressing, and I'm hoping that some of you here might have some advice or wisdom.

I have been prone to UTIs since I was very young, and after the transplant (and immunosuppression) they seem to have really taken off.  For the last two years my urologist had me taking Macrobid prophylactically to prevent infections, which worked pretty well for a while, then it stopped working all together -- I seem to have become resistant to Macrobid.  We are trying Cipro instead, but Cipro does not seem to be as effective for me, and I'm allergic to all sulfa meds, which cuts the playing field down even further. 

I can anticipate, within the next few years, becoming resistant to all of the effective broad-spectrum antibiotics, which is a scary thought.  Without getting too graphic, I do every thing that you're supposed to do to prevent UTIs (including taking cranberry supplements), and I'm still getting them pretty regularly.  Short of blowing out all available antibiotics, what could/should I be doing?  Has anyone else had this issue?

R
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »

being a 'Guy' I know very little about UTI's.  Little Sister used to have them far too regularly.  She changed her diet, not just adding cranberry juice but something else.  And it dropped the occurrence to only a couple a year.   Sorry I can't ask her.  A stroke took her a couple years ago.  Pretty sure it changed the pH of her urine which made the bladder far more resistant to infections.

But there is hope.

Have you Googled UTI Prevention to see what comes up that you haven't already been trying?
RuthWells

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, Charlie, but thank you for sharing.  I have googled, asked lady friends, asked doctors..... I guess I am hoping that someone with kidney failure might have more insight than I've been able to find thus far.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »

Way back when I still had my dad's kidney I used to have near constant UTIs. They suddenly stopped after started eating yogurt a lot, drinking cranberry juice, peeing and washing a lot after sex, and never sitting on anyone elses toilet anymore ever. Don't know which one did the trick.

Lots of luck, and love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 08:15:08 PM »

Check out some of the supplements in the local health food store if you can take something from there with your transplant.
Always consult your doctors before taking anything.
Check your water and fluid intake.
Drop sodas out of your diet of your drink them.
Check your diet and eat healthier, if you are not already.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:28:45 AM »

Hello Ruth,
I sympathize with everyone who has to endure UTI’s, because I know how irritable and bothersome they can become..
I also went through a time, when UTI’s appeared on a regular basis and as a result of this, doctors put me on different antibiotics again and again.
But the antibiotic-treatment was a complicated and painful process in itself, because of my allergies to so many different antibiotics ...
In my desperation I started to drink every day at lunch one glass of half a squeezed fresh lime, mixed with (filtered) fresh water and it helped.
Of course it could just have been a coincidence that the UTI’s happened to stop at that particular time,
but - just to make sure - I still drink one glass of freshly squeezed lime-juice every day at lunch ... and I have been UTI-free for many years ...
... and, as an added bonus, it looks as if my daily glass of fresh lime-juice has assisted to keep my (very poor) kidney-function "plotting on" 
despite my starting dialysis in December 2014 ... ( ... touch wood it continues like that) ... 
... Please ask your nephrologist for his opinion ... and good luck with your transplanted kidney !
Best wishes from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:52:16 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Athena

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 05:05:46 AM »

Hello Ruth,

I've only ever had an UTI once before in the past and boy that was enough for me. These things really can make you feel miserable and being on antibiotics felt almost as bad as the UTI itself because I always seem to have a bad reaction to them.

Cassandra's advice about peeing and washing straight after sex is what I was told will greatly reduce the risk of getting this again (sexual activity is unfortunately a risky business for woman who are prone to UTIs). So extra hygiene measures may be called for. Constipation is an additional risk factor for UT1s as well. It's all about preventing certain bacteria from being able to travel through the urinary tract (which is always more easier in female anatomy).

I wish there was some sure-proof way to guard against this nuisance. If you find some non-antibiotic way of keeping this at bay, please post your findings here. Many of us sure could do with this advice.

Find Cure for CKD now! Please like my facebook page of the same name. Thank you.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:12 AM »

Cassandra's advice about peeing and washing straight after sex is what I was told will greatly reduce the risk of getting this again (sexual activity is unfortunately a risky business for woman who are prone to UTIs). So extra hygiene measures may be called for. Constipation is an additional risk factor for UT1s as well. It's all about preventing certain bacteria from being able to travel through the urinary tract (which is always more easier in female anatomy).

I wish there was some sure-proof way to guard against this nuisance. If you find some non-antibiotic way of keeping this at bay, please post your findings here. Many of us sure could do with this advice.

... Sometimes there may be other factors "at play" as well : in my case it was all due to recurrent SLE/MCTD flare-ups  ...
Best wishes and good luck from Kristina. :grouphug;
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:15:22 AM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »

Ding!  (That's when a light goes on in my head)!

Sister pretty much quit wearing jeans.  If she wore pants or shorts at all they were very light material, breathable fabric, so as to help the area remain drier.  Mostly went back to skirts or loose long dresses, often with NO underwear.
RuthWells

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:46:17 AM »

Thanks for the input and validation, everyone.  The only thing I haven't really tried is the lime juice trick, and I may just add that to my arsenal!  I'll report back; if it works for more than one person, maybe it will work for more.  Thanks so much!
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:34 AM »

Not sure  how this fits in for those with transplants.

Take a look also, at myrrh and golden seal herbs.

(Remove the @, then copy and paste.)

@http://eatbeautiful.net/2014/08/27/5-herbs-that-heal-utis-within-hours/

@http://www.livestrong.com/article/280775-herbal-treatment-for-bladder-problems/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 07:37:29 AM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Angiepkd

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 09:22:14 PM »

I am also a PKD patient with a transplant.  I have had UTI's since my teens. I found that besides all of the "normal" recommendations, I have to completely avoid oranges and orange juice. After my transplant, I started eating halo's (small oranges) because I assumed my new kidney would now allow me to have them again. Wrong!  UTI within a week.  A neighbor who is a retired urologist told me that PKD patients should avoid citrus at all times. Not sure why, but I do find it to be true for me. The problem is, I love oranges and orange juice lol!  Not sure if you are an orange juice drinker, but if you are, try cutting it out of your diet. I still get a random UTI occasionally, but they are few and far between.  Mine now occur mainly after I have had a terrible bout of diarrhea from the cellcept. Sorry if that was too much information!  Hope you find a solution!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »