I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 10:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Renvela
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Renvela  (Read 6472 times)
flipperfun

« on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:31 AM »

I have just been prescribed Renvela instead of Calcium Carbonate.  Having read the side effects, I am scared stiff of taking them, and, they are huge tablets to swallow.

Can anyone please tell me what other phosphate binders are chewable, rather than in tablet form.

Thank you.  Denise
justme15

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »

Fosrenol is a large chewable tablet
BattleScars

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:54:51 AM »

I was hesitant to take binders because of their size and possible side effects because I'm usually the guy that has the side effect that "only 1% of patients experience" which means if it has side effects, you better believe I will suffer from it. My only problem with Renvela is the cost. I think my co-pay is like $30. My social worker helped me get a coupon so I only have to pay $5. I really haven't had any side effects. The pills themselves are huge and have a strange taste/smell but other than that no problems for me.
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:16 AM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:42:23 PM by noahvale » Logged
Sydnee

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:35:05 AM »

In a package insert we got with Ed's renvela it said that you can get it in powder form. Ask your pharmacist.

Here is there website that also talk about the powder there.
http://www.renvela.com/patients.aspx

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
Emerson Burick

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »

I have just been prescribed Renvela instead of Calcium Carbonate.  Having read the side effects, I am scared stiff of taking them, and, they are huge tablets to swallow.

Give them a try. Renvelas (Renvelae?) are very slippery on the outside, unlike Calcium Carbonate with that gel capsule that sticks. With a sip of something I can usually gulp down three at a time. (Which is good, because I chug about 16 of the things a day.) Haven't noticed any side effects, and my phosphorus lab results haven't impressed me, either. As far as I'm concerned, they're very expensive inert matter.
flipperfun

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 01:13:05 AM »

Thank you all for your helpful comments.  I will ask for the powder form, and suggest Fosrenal if it is available in the UK.

Good luck everyone and thank you again.
kit78

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

My Neph., told me to take TUMS as they do the same thing.  My problem is they make me bloat.  Plus I always wondered why they prescribe Renvela and the like when TUMS are so cheap!  They all want to make a buck!

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 09:22:59 AM »

My Neph., told me to take TUMS as they do the same thing.  My problem is they make me bloat.  Plus I always wondered why they prescribe Renvela and the like when TUMS are so cheap!  They all want to make a buck!

No, Tums (calcium carbonte) and Renvela/Fosrenol are not the same. 

"Common types of phosphorus binders (phosphate binders)

There are two common types of phosphorus binders: calcium-based phosphorus binders; and aluminum-free, calcium-free phosphorus binders,

◾Calcium-based phosphorus binders have largely replaced aluminum-based binders. Calcium-based phosphate binders may also serve as calcium supplements. Calcium acetate, also called PhosLo®, is one commonly used phosphorus binder. There are many others, usually containing calcium carbonate. Tums® is a form of calcium carbonate, which can also be effective. Because most people will need to take several phosphate binders with every meal, there may be concern about dialysis patients absorbing too much calcium from these medicines, so calcium levels must be monitored. Additionally, some of the calcium from these binders is absorbed into the bloodstream and may deposit in small blood vessels, causing organ damage.

◾Aluminum-free, calcium-free phosphorus binders, such as Renagel® (sevelamer) and Renvela (sevelamer carbonate), are another type of phosphate binders. These phosphorus binders mix with phosphorus in the intestinal tract, but do not contain aluminum or calcium, so they don’t cause problems with excess aluminum or calcium load. Chewable Fosrenol®, lanthanum carbonate, is another aluminum and calcium free binder."

- From DavIta web site

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
kit78

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

Thanks Pat...why the hell would my kidney doc tell me to take those???????????????????????   Very confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry if I mislead anyone as I was told to take the original Tums while I was waiting for my Med help to kick in.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

You were told to take Tums because they work for some people. It's worth trying the cheapest thing first. Tums and PhosLo use calcium to bind with the phosphorus and remove it. For some it works great. In others their calcium level gets way too high and they need a choice without calcium like Renvela. I was able to use PhosLo for about a year before my calcium built up and I switched to Renvela.
Vt Big Rig

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 05:16:51 AM »

I sincerely hope this does not offend anyone but for me, taking Renveal had a side effect that freaked me out the first time I realized it.  ???  It turned my stool jet black. I have been on a calcium based binder but calcium is creeping up so I may have to go back.

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 06:06:50 AM »

You may want to talk to your doctor about combining binders.  I was on a combination of Renvela and generic calcium carbonate and the combo kept my phos and calcium in line and was cost-effective.
dublin

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 02:09:01 PM »

Hi there you can get foznol in the uk and ireland as i am on them
Bungarian

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »

I took tums at first and my calcium went sky high. Spent 5 days in hospital. Now I take Renvela and it seems to work great. Causes constipation though.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »