I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 01:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Mom got lost
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mom got lost  (Read 3742 times)
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« on: December 12, 2007, 05:32:58 AM »

Well, long story short...mom got lost coming to the vascular appointment yesterday. I got to the office it is just down the road from me and mom had about a 30 min drive. After about her being 10 min late, worry, 20 min anxious calling to make sure she left, 30 min nervous couldn't reach her on her cell either it was off or she didn't bring it (she didn't bring it...). So I start to drive down the road she was supposed to be on to see if she had car trouble. She calls me from a gas station and tells me she got horribly lost and was heading to my house. When I got to my house she was still sitting in her car and had been crying. I hugged her and told her at least she was safe.

I'd get her a GPS but - well you know ...the cell phone doesn't help as you can see. And then we are at my house and she wanted to see a photo of what a fistula looks like. All these photos pop up where the arm is very swollen. I found one that seemed flatter and she seemed to relax a little. I don't know what to expect as far as condition of the arm goes. We did look more into the buttonhole technique.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 06:19:12 AM »

It is a frightening time for her, not just because of the fistula but just a lot of changes. Getting lost probably would not have happened under normal circumstances.

My Mom if she was still alive would have done the same thing.
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:16:14 AM »

Sorry to hear she got lost, thank God she is OK  :thumbup;

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:44:09 AM »

I can almost feel the fear your Mom is going through.  We have always taken care of everyone and now, she needs people to help her. It is really a scary time. It is so hard to give up control of our lives.  Be patient and reassuring. It takes time to process all we are going through. Thank God she was ok.  Sending big hugs to both of you! :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »

That had to be so scarey, so glad she is OK!
When I am nervous, I can get lost going around
the block, so I can easily understand how it
happened, tho.

Anne
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »

I'm glad this has a happy ending! She is okay, and you are relieved that she is okay!  You're right a gps wouldn't do much good if she doesn't keep her cell with her....

My guess is as others have said, she is so upset and nervous, she just can't think straight right now.
It's a scary time for her. Darn it.

Give yourself a hug from me, then give your mom one too!  :grouphug;
ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »

thanks for the helpful support and hugs! One good thing that came out at dinner conversation is that she said 'If it needs to be done, it has to get done, I just don't like it.' I scheduled the next appt for Wed 12/19 at 2:00pm. Either my sister will take her (if she doesn't have to work, she's a part-time bus attendant) or I will leave work to meet her there and will have to go back to work. I'm hoping my sister can take her because I think she'll need support after the appt. I just don't want her driving home from my house in this weather in the dark.

Was I right in thinking that the fistula photos were of people who've had problems? I'm not sure what she should expect as far as how it will look. We looked at one arm that was also using the buttonhole technique and it looked fairly flat and unnoticeable. She did say that she wanted to be completely out when it was done because we read that you could have local anesthesia.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:08:03 PM »

Here's one thread about fistulas http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1340.0

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KR Cincy

Home hemodialysis since May 07

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 06:51:26 AM »

The way fistulas look run the gamut...I have one little scar from the surgery and a few stick holes...not nearly as bad as I had imagined. Others get lumps and have larger scars depending on the surgery. But ultimately, this is our lifeline so a certain amount of vanity needs to be set aside...it took me a long time to accept that concept, but hopefully your Mom will see it's worth it all.

Not giving up...thanks to Susan.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 09:00:03 AM »

Oh my, your poor mom.   :grouphug;  I can so easily see my mom doing the same thing.  If we are lucky enough to live long enough, we'll all get there too.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »