I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  hello and longtime no post
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hello and longtime no post  (Read 5244 times)
needlephobic

« on: March 10, 2015, 10:12:37 PM »

Well it's been a little over 5 years since starting dialysis. Doing great got a awesome neph and a awesome center now. Still very afraid of needles need diagnosed with PTSD yes somebody or people traumatized me with a needle.my counselor now knows how to help me to try and get over this fear.Things are going good .ONE of these days I will be able to get stuck.Funny thing had a guy see my fistula and told me that must be one bad break that didn't heal properly. I told him all about it and what's it for  the whole online yards. Today was asked if dialysis caused my'arm to look.like that couldn't help but laugh about it.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 05:39:57 AM »

LOVE your screen name!  I can never think fast enough to grab a name like that, it perfectly describes me.

I perfectly understand how a needle paranoia can come from a bad experience, or series of experiences.  As a kid about 5 I was sick, alot.  Penicillen was the new wonder drug and the next door neighbor lady was an RN, coming over morning and night sticking me in the butt.  I don't remember how long this went on, but it was too long for a kid.

Mom keep a glass on glass rig in a bowl of alcohol, changing it and flushing the needle at every use.  Then she started practicing injecting an orange until the Nurse though Mom was ready to start sticking ME!   I didn't like it.  We bent a lot of needles as I would tighten up solid in anticipation of the stick.

For a great number of years at the Dr's office just the smell of the alcohol wipe would make me dizzy.  Many times so much he would crack open a vial of ammonia to snap me alert again.

I never thought I would ever become able to handle a needle, but 2 years ago I went well over the line and now am a full blown type 2 diabetic.  Test and inject at least 4 times a day.  But thos are itty bitty needles, not the HUGE spikes used for dialysis.  Thankfully,  I am on PD and it is working fine.  Although I fear that someday it won't, then I will have to face my needle phobia with hemo.  I am NOT looking forward to that day.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

So good to hear from you Needlephobic. And great that things are going well for you!  :2thumbsup;

Maybe one of these days you will be able to lick that phobia!  :clap;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 05:24:28 PM »

I'm impressed you're working on your phobia. Maybe one day it will be gone. You have some good people to work with.
needlephobic

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »

I'm impressed you're working on your phobia. Maybe one day it will be gone. You have some good people to work with.
[/quote

My fear will never be gone just controlled. My fear will sometimes show its ugly face.The plan is finding 2 or 3 tech's I can trust to stick me it is ordered that my girlfriend be there to help me keep focused while being stuck. Is also ordered after being stuck and I can`t take it anymore to take It out when I say or I will take It out my self. We will continue keeping it in longer each treatment to hopefully the day I make it through the whole treatment. Right now looking for the techs I can trust wish me luck
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 01:48:14 AM »

Hello needlephobic,
Well done! You have come a long way!
I do hope you find soon a tech you feel comfortable with
and I send you my best wishes,
Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »

Good to hear from you.  I still can't look but I do it. 

:shy;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:12:04 AM »

Nice to hear from you. Glad things are a bit better for you too. Dont stay away so long.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 06:25:14 PM »

If you could share a tip or technique to help someone overcome a phobia or an anxiety attack while it is happening (and regardless of what it is caused by), what might you suggest?

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Stu

Oooooooh yeah!

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »

One thing I've found working a bit for me of late is to kind of "lean in" to the pain

It's hard to describe, but I'm trying to relish the pain of the needles, makes me less scared of them

(says the guy who still can't watch the needles go in after 20 years!)

47 Fluid Control Suggestions for Dialysis Patients
Haemo 3 x a week, Ico bags overnight
Joker, smoker, midnight toker....
Tweet me at @AngryDXGuy if you dare
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »

If you could share a tip or technique to help someone overcome a phobia or an anxiety attack while it is happening (and regardless of what it is caused by), what might you suggest?

I would suggest learning to do your own needles - seriously.   I find it hurts MUCH less when I do them myself, comparing self-insertion of dialysis 15ga sharps to staff insertion.  When I was first doing a sharp insertion solo, my only thought was "I need this treatment, and I am going to get it no matter what it takes".   The worry of missing a treatment actually blocked the pain.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:18:46 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »

I would suggest learning to do your own needles - seriously.   I find it hurts MUCH less when I do them myself, comparing self-insertion of dialysis 15ga sharps to staff insertion.  When I was first doing a sharp insertion solo, my only thought was "I need this treatment, and I am going to get it no matter what it takes".   The worry of missing a treatment actually blocked the pain.
I think you could be right. My husband does his own needles (I simply help guide his hand) and I think it is a little less painful for him than when someone else sticks him. What am I wondering, is if people have a tip to share concerning how they overcome an anxiety attack in general, not just from needles but anything that causes them anxiety. Your rationale towards treatment being more important than the pain from a needle seems to have helped you. Maybe it's about attitude that helps a person overcome anxiety. Maybe it's about doing "self-talk".  ??

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

What Simon suggest is actually really true. I could only do it cos I hated so much to be scared of the staff shortening my life even more

:angel;

Great to see you're doing well, love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 02:04:06 PM »

Count backwards from from crazy number like a thousand or a million.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »