I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 03:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Former Oakland woman's father donated his organ while in prison
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Former Oakland woman's father donated his organ while in prison  (Read 2501 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: March 19, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »

Kidney transplant recipient dies
Former Oakland woman's father donated his organ while in prison

Marisa Lagos, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, March 19, 2007

(03-19) 16:38 PDT -- Renada Daniel-Patterson, who gained public attention 10 years ago when her incarcerated father gave her one of his kidneys, passed away on Sunday, exactly a week before she would have turned 25.

"I was home with her. I was with her when she died. I felt her spirit leave," said her mother, Vicki Daniel, her longtime caretaker. "She had been living on dialysis, and she was really ill."

Formerly of Oakland, Daniel-Patterson and her mother had been living in Atlanta for the past two years.

Born with one unhealthy kidney, Daniel-Patterson underwent her first unsuccessful transplant at the age of 5, when she received a kidney from a cadaver. But she captured national attention in 1996, when she received a replacement kidney from her estranged father, a convict at Folsom Prison whom she had never met. David Patterson reached out to his daughter with a letter offering the organ.

Daniel-Patterson returned to the headlines three years later, after her father's kidney failed and she needed another transplant. Patterson offered his remaining organ, but an ethics panel at University of California at San Francisco Medical Center refused the request, arguing it would shorten his life.

Daniel-Patterson ended up receiving a kidney from an uncle, but that organ also failed within a few years, said Daniel, because her daughter could not physically handle the rigorous anti-rejection medicine and steroids necessary -- the same problem that had contributed to the failure of the kidney donated by her father.

"She was too sick -- they couldn't get the dosages correct, and it would leave her sick. She was tiring out," Daniel explained. "She hung on with dialysis. I was motivating and loving her and doing what I could to take care of her."

Daniel and her daughter moved to Texas in 2002 to take care of Daniel-Patterson's grandparents, who have since passed away. In 2005, the pair moved to Atlanta, where they have family, Daniel said. Recently, David Patterson, who was released from prison in 2003, moved to Alabama, she said, and was able to visit his daughter often.

Despite Daniel-Patterson's long illness, she remained upbeat, making friends when she was a patient at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, reading a lot and watching her favorite television program, the Tyra Banks Show, Daniel said.

"She never forgot a story about other people, and what they were going through. She talked with a lot of people at the hospital," Daniel said. "She talked to patients' families, and she saw a lot of miracles -- I know she was hoping for one herself."

Daniel still has a letter her daughter recently wrote to Tyra Banks, she said, and plans to send it someday.

Daniel-Patterson will be buried this weekend near her grandparents in Port Arthur, Texas, Daniel said. The family has set up a memorial fund to help pay for funeral expenses and transportation to the event.

The fund is at Wells Fargo, under Memorial Fund for Renada Daniel-Patterson, account number 932-244-7682.

E-mail Marisa Lagos at mlagos@sfchronicle.com.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/19/BAG2EONU1912.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »

If the father wanted to give her his remaining kidney and knew the circumstances, they should've done it, what life does he have being incarcerated and all?   Sometimes i just cant understand some people's ways of thinking.  ???

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »

It almost seems like they try to figure out how not to allow someone to get a kidney instead of how to.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 04:59:20 PM »

I don't think anyone should be allowed to donate an organ if it's going to leave them without one, donating both kidneys? Dont think so. My mom tells me all the time how she would give me her otherkidney in a heartbeat if allowed, but I would never allow that. Why would you want someone else to have to go on dialysis so you can get off? I dont see the right in that.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »