I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 07:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Sak Recall
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sak Recall  (Read 88929 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »

We are now using a Britta filter for all drinking water. I hope it filters out aluminum as we cant seem to get an answer. It does filter out most metals. We just started this last month. Hopefully it should help.
If anyone knows more about the Britta system please let me know. It uses an activated carbon and ion exchange resin to filter water.  It does list copper, mercury and cadmium , chlorine and zinc  as being filtered. Since non renal patients aren't harmed by aluminum it wouldnt list it anyway.

Dear Dr. O,

I can't answer your aluminum question, but you should be aware of the issue with the BRITA filter adding potassium to the filtered water.

http://www.brita.net/ae/faqs_household.html?L=24

FAQs - frequently asked questions

I am on a potassium restricted diet, is filtered water still suitable for me?
BRITA cartridges contain potassium partly due to the production process and partly from naturally occurring potassium in the activated carbon.  This potassium is gradually released into the filtered water over several litres; the rate of release depends on the hardness of the water. The higher the hardness the faster the potassium is washed out.

Potassium is essential for many functions in the human body, especially for cell renewal.  As it is considered to be such a beneficial mineral, there is no maximum limit for potassium in the drinking water standards.  The amount of potassium in BRITA water is negligible and not relevant at all for people with normal health.

Individuals with kidney disease or those who have to monitor their potassium intake should be aware of the possible increase in potassium in the early litres of water filtered through each new BRITA cartridge and may wish to discuss this with their doctor. Contact BRITACare Customer Services for further information.

###

Please note:

I believe the above website & information is from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) BRITA website.

The American BRITA website FAQ is less forthcoming:
https://www.brita.com/using-your-brita/faqs/

8)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:12:57 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
caregivertech1

« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »

Interesting that Maggie and Jeff's Al was 5 micrograms/liter in both Saks and bags. On May 9th  (before we knew of the recall) I submitted a Sak AND a Pak sample to Spectra. We all know the Pak RO system is about the best there is. However both Sak and Pak had identical AL results of 8 micrograms/liter. How can that be? I really don't think Spectra has the sensitivity/accuracy to measure AL in water or Saks or bags.  We're testing blood serum AL every 2 weeks. Last result was 19, up from 12 2 weeks ago. Heard from a reliable source that all will be "resolved" by Oct. which to me means the current contaminated Sacs will all be exhausted from inventory. Now using 2 hanging bags to complete our 30L treatment. This is totally unbelievable.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »

Interesting that Maggie and Jeff's Al was 5 micrograms/liter in both Saks and bags. On May 9th  (before we knew of the recall) I submitted a Sak AND a Pak sample to Spectra. We all know the Pak RO system is about the best there is. However both Sak and Pak had identical AL results of 8 micrograms/liter. How can that be? I really don't think Spectra has the sensitivity/accuracy to measure AL in water or Saks or bags.  We're testing blood serum AL every 2 weeks. Last result was 19, up from 12 2 weeks ago. Heard from a reliable source that all will be "resolved" by Oct. which to me means the current contaminated Sacs will all be exhausted from inventory. Now using 2 hanging bags to complete our 30L treatment. This is totally unbelievable.

I agree, that doesn't sound right since the Bags to the best of my knowledge are produced by PiSA which was not involved in the recall. No Bags were recalled. Everyone with high levels of aluminum that switched back to the bags has had both symptom improvement and lowered Aluminum levels.

For anyone with aluminum overload, the guidelines state to have "aluminum free" dialysate. If the current PureFlow is truly only 5 mcg/liter, then indeed, that is still too high a level and the K/DOQI guidelines are complete baloney. For me, I am sticking with the bags until  a new machine is available.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »

I posted 2 separate SAK lot # tests Both showed .005

I posted 1 Hanging bag test it showed Less Than (Or as I was corrected earlier)<.005

I figure less than <.005 is as low as the lab can test.  So the first reading on the lab instrument would be .005 maybe even if there was .003 it would still show .005.

I saw that the SAK's had elevated:
Aluminum @ .005 & .005
Chromium @ .006 & .007
Copper     @ .007
Zinc         @ .005
sulfate      @ 1.4   & 1.3

The hanging bags had this elevated:
Zinc .045

We have a AAMI out to the lab on our hanging bags so I'll have those results soon.

Maggie is feeling better and sharper mentally after a month of using bags.  Maggie's AL was 18 last month and that was up from the previous month.  The Doc. wanted to know "Where is the aluminum coming from?  Your dishes?"  We both said it's the dialsate but we could use the hanging bags and here are the results from the AAMI's of both.

So we are using the bags and now the AL is 13.

I'd switch to bags for a month and see if the AL comes down even faster.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:08:14 PM by Maggie and Jeff » Logged

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »

We are now using a Britta filter for all drinking water. I hope it filters out aluminum as we cant seem to get an answer. It does filter out most metals. We just started this last month. Hopefully it should help.
If anyone knows more about the Britta system please let me know. It uses an activated carbon and ion exchange resin to filter water.  It does list copper, mercury and cadmium , chlorine and zinc  as being filtered. Since non renal patients aren't harmed by aluminum it wouldnt list it anyway.

Dear Dr. O,

I can't answer your aluminum question, but you should be aware of the issue with the BRITA filter adding potassium to the filtered water.

http://www.brita.net/ae/faqs_household.html?L=24

FAQs - frequently asked questions

I am on a potassium restricted diet, is filtered water still suitable for me?
BRITA cartridges contain potassium partly due to the production process and partly from naturally occurring potassium in the activated carbon.  This potassium is gradually released into the filtered water over several litres; the rate of release depends on the hardness of the water. The higher the hardness the faster the potassium is washed out.

Potassium is essential for many functions in the human body, especially for cell renewal.  As it is considered to be such a beneficial mineral, there is no maximum limit for potassium in the drinking water standards.  The amount of potassium in BRITA water is negligible and not relevant at all for people with normal health.

Individuals with kidney disease or those who have to monitor their potassium intake should be aware of the possible increase in potassium in the early litres of water filtered through each new BRITA cartridge and may wish to discuss this with their doctor. Contact BRITACare Customer Services for further information.

###

Please note:

I believe the above website & information is from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) BRITA website.

The American BRITA website FAQ is less forthcoming:
https://www.brita.com/using-your-brita/faqs/

8)
Thanks for that Zach. You are right about the potassium . I noticed my wifes potassium go up from 4.9 to 5.1 since the start of the Britta. In her case its ok as she gets low after dialysis anyway (3.7) , so it actually may help. I wish I knew whether it takes out aluminum.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2014, 05:04:50 PM »

I wish I knew whether it takes out aluminum.

Dear Dr. O,

Here are the results on several brands of countertop water filters.
I'm not sure how reliable the web site sponsor is, so take it as you will.

http://www.naturalnews.com/046536_water_filters_heavy_metals_lab_results.html

According to their labs, the BRITA filter adds aluminum.

Note:  One needs to provide an eMail address to read the results, so I added a screen shot below.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #306 on: August 26, 2014, 05:05:42 AM »

I wish I knew whether it takes out aluminum.

Dear Dr. O,

Here are the results on several brands of countertop water filters.
I'm not sure how reliable the web site sponsor is, so take it as you will.

http://www.naturalnews.com/046536_water_filters_heavy_metals_lab_results.html

According to their labs, the BRITA filter adds aluminum.

Note:  One needs to provide an eMail address to read the results, so I added a screen shot below.
 8)
Zach, you are a SAVIOR. I cant thank you enough.
I am apalled at the poor performance on the Britta. My wife actually has been feeling poorly the past 3 weeks since we started using it so perhaps that is the cause as our water is already high in aluminum and Brtitta makes it worse.
I advise everyone here on dialysis to read the lab reports on these water systems.
I just dumped the Britta and ordered Zero Water system. That has 100 % aluminum reduction. It has an ion exchange system as its primary filter rather then charcoal like Britta. Charcoal does nothing for aluminum or other metals. 
This is why this is such a great site . We all pitch in to help each other. Thanks again Zach.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #307 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:42 PM »

Our clinic nurse says 13 on Maggies AL is the lowest it has been since January 2014.

The labs where pulled 6 weeks after starting hanging bags only.

I'm hoping that she will be under 10 when we pull labs next time.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #308 on: August 26, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »

Mine also dropped to 13 last month. Will see what the next one does. But clinically, I feel significantly improved. I am not going back to the PureFlow. It is time for NxStage to eliminate all aluminum from their products.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
caregivertech1

« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »

Maybe my math is crazy but I just read the recall letter again and noticed the FULLY DILUTED affected Saks averaged 12.2 mg/L. They also say the product specification requires CONCENTRATE aluminum levels to be less than 10 mg/L. Are they referring to the FULLY DILUTED Saks or the CONCENTRATED BEFORE DILUTION Saks? If the latter that would put the AL concentrated Sak limit at 210 mg/L for Sak 302 which is diluted by 21. Surely they are talking in both cases about diluted Saks. Or are they?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
« previous next »