I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Aluminum...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aluminum...  (Read 3298 times)
kporter85db

« on: May 27, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »

I noticed on my labs this month that my aluminum was slightly elevated at ~17. I talked to my very competent dialysis nurse about this today. He told me it's not elevated enough to worry about.

He also made an observation that all of his NxStage/Purflow users on city water have similarly elevated aluminum levels. While all of his NxStage/Purflow users on well water have normal aluminum levels. This is significant because city water treatment plants add aluminum to water to help make it crystal clear. He suspects the Pureflow filtration PAK is not doing an adequate job of filtering out the aluminum.

He has about 20 patients that he overseas.

There has been much discussion on IHD regarding SAK's being contaminated with aluminum and I am not sure where this fits into that discussion but welcome any comments and insight into this problem.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »

VERY INTERESTING.
We are on well water so when we test our aluminum this Thursday I will be watching . The problem of course is complicated by the whole aluminum in dialysate issue. The whole thing is frustrating .

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »

Yes, there tends to be aluminum in city water. It is used as a coagulant to bind contaminants to allow them to settle to the bottom of the holding tanks. They are generally pretty generous when using it at the treatment facility.

We suspected this when researching my high aluminum issues last year. However when testing the PAK sample, the aluminum was normal, so it was doing it's job. We then suspected I was ingesting it elsewhere. I was  not drinking tap water, so we suspected just using it in cooking. We thought it was OUR problem.

In research done by others we see that it comes primarily from dialysate. We found it was THEIR problem.
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »

We have well water.

Maggies level is 15.

An AAMI shows aluminum in our well water.

An AAMI on the pak shows no aluminum.

The pak removes the aluminum.

We are running an AAMI on both the sak dialysate and the hanging bag dialysate.

I will post results on http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=31141.msg482472#new

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »

I agree the PAKs seem to work well . The problem is not the Paks it was the dialysate concentrate or Saks.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »

Anyone else being told by Fresenius (or any center for that matter) that they don't test aluminum blood levels anymore? Just curious.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »

In the UK only a few clinics, and hops test for Aluminium regularly (as in 2x a year orso)
My clinic only checked cos I asked

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
slipkid

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »

According to a Davita corporate letter in my possession, after the crisis exploded, Davita instructed its clinics to test for aluminum for only three months for users of SAKs (as in my case).  The period has passed and in this month's blood draws we were not given a blue topped tube to draw for aluminum.  We called the clinic and requested a tube for an aluminum test.  We were given the tube.  We intend to test for aluminum for an indefinite period.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:54:02 PM by slipkid » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »