I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:32:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ambien...meds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ambien...meds  (Read 5166 times)
George Jung

« on: February 19, 2007, 07:32:25 PM »

I have had a lot of trouble with sleeping, anxiety and bouts of depression.  A doctor has prescribed ambien to help with the sleeping and I have an appointment this week to talk with a psychologist who can also prescribe if necessary.  The ambien seems to be helping (10mg) with the sleep.  I am very nervous to  make my appointment this week and I was wondering how many of you have/had similar issues.  What sleep aids do you use and how do you take them?  Any info about anxiety and depression and the meds to help deal with these troubles?  Are these effects of renal failure and dialysis?  What is prescribed for these problems?  Side effects from the meds, ect.  I have always had a strong mind and I have not agreed with medication to help emotional situations,but it seems I cannot shake my troubles this time.  I just want to feel as normal as possible.  At times I am so worried about, I don't even know what, I can't go to the grocery store or even leave the house to take the trash out.  It's really embarrassing but I have three bags of trash in the kitchen waiting for me to take them out.  I have a dog that I have had to have family care for because I can't even take him for a walk.  Thanks in advance for any help/advice/info.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 07:38:22 PM »

George, very good topic.  Sleep is something we all seem to have problems.  I want you to go to the search box and type in "Sleep" and see what comes up.  We have talked about it a lot on here.

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=548.0

It never hurts to bring it up again though.   :thx;

Rerun, Moderator
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:41:42 PM by Rerun » Logged

Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »

I take Ambien now and it helps me a lot to get a good nights rest.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
renal30yrs

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »

What about the widely publicized sideeffects of Amebien - sleep walking? Could it potentially cause more hazard to dialysis patients?
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 06:15:23 AM »

I also take Ambien. I have been taking it for over 2 years now though. At the begining when I first started taking it... I would talk in my sleep, and I would do things in my sleep but I wouldn't remember doing them, my ex or my parents would tell me what I did. NOw that I have been taking Ambien so long, I think my body as adjusted to it, because now the regular doses don't work, I have to take a little extra to even fall asleep... however I don't have the side effects of doing things in my sleep anymore... but then again, sometimes it don't even help me fall asleep anymore either... I think I need to try a different sleep aid or something.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »

I also take Ambien. The doctor stressed how important it was to get a full nights sleep.  I was sleeping 4 or 5 hours a night. I have never taken medications.  BUT, this is different and I feel so much better now that I allow myself to rest and sleep.  Also, depression is a big part of this disease. I have always felt I could do everything by myself without help from anyone or anything.  I am wrong!!  If there is a medication to help get us thru the tough times, then I say, take it.  Do your research, but don't hesitate to take something if it helps you.    As for Ambien, I have had no side effects and my doctor says it isn't habit forming and he has patients that have been on it for years with no problems.  Let us know what you decide.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
scyankee

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:37 AM »

3 years ago I was given Ambien which gave me a wonderful restful sleep.  HOWEVER, the insurance
company refused to allow me to get more prescriptions so now I get no sleep.  I do not talk to the
doctor's about this issue.  I do not want to take any extra pills in my system other than what is medically
necessary for my BP.  My meds already cost enough.
 But if your MD will give you something, go for it. Try some samples before you buy a full bottle.
 Good luck.
MJB

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

I just started having problems with sleeping. Up all night, tossing and turning and my legs feeling like they want to run a marathon. I spoke to my Nephrologist and he felt that in some part it is anxiety and RLS. He perscribed Klonopin, a drug usually used for anxiety and seizures. The drug work especially well for the RLS because of the anti seizure qualities and it also knocks you out. It has helped for the past week that I have taken it. I am a bit groggy when I wake up, but really feel much better than the last two weeks. I wish you the best of luck. Loosing sleep can be so frustrating.

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
George Jung

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »

Thank you for your input.  My ambien prescription ran out and the pharmacy told me that I needed to have the doctor call my insurance and give them a pre-auth in order for the insurance to pick it up.  I talked to my doctor about it today at the center and the doc gave me an alternative script that the insurance company will pick up with no problems.  What do you know about Temazepam?

Any advice/information about anxiety and its treatments would also be greatly appreciated.  These feelings of being scared and worried and having a very difficult time interacting with others are really bearing down on me.  If my life didn't depend on it I probably wouldn't even be able to go to my treatments.  Just walking up to the store takes mental preparation.

What can I do to easy my worries about seeing this psychologist?  I am afraid that I will skip out on my appointment.
renal30yrs

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 12:10:56 AM »

Some nephrologists like to prescribe Temazepam over Ambien.  Bottomline is which doctor is connected with which pharmaceutical company.
George Jung

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:27 PM »

I am more concerned about anxiety and the depression issue rather than sleep.  I have done a search and found numerous links to sleeping but not so many about the anxiety and treatments.  Thank you all for your input thus far but should you know more about these other issues I would be grateful for your help.  Send me a personal message if the topic is not for everyone.
bluedove57

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »

My nephrologist perscribed klonopin for me. I have jumpy legs and was told it's caused by dialysis. One klonopin and I sleep like a baby. Legs don't quiver or jump any more.
nextnoel

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 08:26:33 AM »

What can I do to easy my worries about seeing this psychologist?  I am afraid that I will skip out on my appointment.

Sometimes when I get like that, I have to just make a resolution based on knowing what's right or necessary to do what I have to, no matter how anxious I feel about it, and then every time I start obsessing about the problem at hand, use mental force to make myself get off the merry-go-round of thinking about it - sort of like once the resolution has been made, it helps free me from re-thinking it all over and getting mired down in anxiety.

When my daughter was 3 and I was insisting she make her bed every morning, she said, "But I don't WANT to make my bed."  I smiled and said, "That's OK, you don't have to WANT to, you just have to DO it!"  That would make sense to her, and made it OK to just go ahead and let go and do it; that's a simpler example of the same process I use on myself.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »

The other night I took my ambien and sat down at the computer waiting for
it to kick in. That was about 11:30.  I woke up at 2:30 or so with an e-mail that
I had been writing still on the screen.  I just closed it and sent it and hurried off
to bed.  Next day I was wondering if I stopped in mid-paragraph or sentence.
Someone was probably scratching their head.
First time I took it I sat down on sofa and woke up about 4-5am.  Works
pretty fast.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
George Jung

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 01:04:08 AM »

I have now tried Ambien, Temazepam, and Lunesta.  I prefer the Ambien but my insurance only pays half.  I did not like the Lunesta.  It left a horrible taste in my mouth for a good part of the next day.  The Temazepam is okay but not as effective as the Ambien.  I have to look into the insurance policy and see if there is a way for them to pick it up.  Maybe a supplement prescription plan?  I need something now!
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »

I have now tried Ambien, Temazepam, and Lunesta.  I prefer the Ambien but my insurance only pays half.  I did not like the Lunesta.  It left a horrible taste in my mouth for a good part of the next day.  The Temazepam is okay but not as effective as the Ambien.  I have to look into the insurance policy and see if there is a way for them to pick it up.  Maybe a supplement prescription plan?  I need something now!

I've been taking Ambien since 2001, 10mg.  A few weeks ago I tried to get off of it because I didn't like to be using any kind of sleep aid and I figured it was time to stop.  I had two prescriptions for 5mg and 10mg.  I am up to 15mg now, the 10 doesn't work anymore.  I tried to get off of it but I started taking it again--I just can't sleep!  So yesterday I asked the doctor if I could have a 15mg prescription (I've been taking 15 the last few months) and he was kind of iffy about it. He thought it was too much so he gave me a script for Lunestra.  I hate depending on a medication to sleep but if I don't sleep I get very cranky!   >:D >:D
I want to try melatonin, anyone try that?

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
George Jung

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 01:00:05 PM »

I know what you mean about depending/needing on any kind of medication.  I have always been anti-medical science.  I prefer to live as naturally as possible.  Since renal failure however, I have a new perspective (on many things).  Quality of life!!!  I will now use whatever means necessary to feel good again.  I have a lot of anxiety that I feel like I need something to help with.  A year ago I would have worked it out on my own but I have been feeling this way for months now and I need help.  How do you like the Lunesta?
shay_pcb

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »

I took Ambien when I was in the hospital. I loved it!! I've still been having trouble sleeping, but didn't want to ask for anything, but it's getting to me now. I asked today for something; he just said to try some OTC stuff.
George Jung

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 08:06:31 PM »

I hear ya.  I didn't want to ask either.  I'm still working on it but my quality of life has been better with sleep.  I tried OTC before asking because I didn't want to ask.  There is no comparison IMO.  Ask again if you need to, it's worth being a "pest".  My mom used to tell me "It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease."
shay_pcb

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »

Yeah, I think the same thing. Rx is better than OTC. I just agreed and I'll ask him next month when I see him for Ambien bc I really liked that when I was in the hospital. Thanks!!
mymoonring

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 03:48:48 PM »

Hello, I have had a lot of trouble with restless nights also with depression i have found that ambien works well for me and also taking Lexapro is one of the best depression relief drugs i have taken,and I have taken many for bouts with depression, Therapy works well also, Kidneys are a whole hormonall action going on in our bodies it is not unusual with having all sorts of feelings lack of  sleep and depresion. Lots of Kidney patients have troble sleeping and take Ambien Works Like a Dream LOL...Best of Luck Kelley :thumbup;
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »

I know what you mean about depending/needing on any kind of medication.  I have always been anti-medical science.  I prefer to live as naturally as possible.  Since renal failure however, I have a new perspective (on many things).  Quality of life!!!  I will now use whatever means necessary to feel good again.  I have a lot of anxiety that I feel like I need something to help with.  A year ago I would have worked it out on my own but I have been feeling this way for months now and I need help.  How do you like the Lunesta?

My insurance won't cover the Lunestra so I can;t pay the extra 160 a month it will cost me.   :-[  But I took some Restoril last night and it worked so I will use that I guess. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »

For me Lunesta leaves a very bad side effect of making food taste weird.... bleh.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »