I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 03:24:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Vitamin K in vegetables - a blood coagulant- potential stroke...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vitamin K in vegetables - a blood coagulant- potential stroke...  (Read 3056 times)
dialysisuser82

« on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »

Vitamin k has its benefits as you will read the attached article below, however it is a blood coagulant and could cause serious blood clot for dialysis patients.

Vitamin K is found in dark leafy vegetables and some herbs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vitamin K is a vitamin found in leafy green vegetables, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. The name vitamin K comes from the German word “Koagulationsvitamin.”

Several forms of vitamin K are used around the world as medicine. Vitamin K1 (phytonadione) and vitamin K2 (menaquinone) are available in North America. Vitamin K1 is generally the preferred form of vitamin K because it is less toxic, works faster, is stronger, and works better for certain conditions.

In the body, vitamin K plays a major role in blood clotting. So it is used to reverse the effects of “blood thinning” medications when too much is given; to prevent clotting problems in newborns who don’t have enough vitamin K; and to treat bleeding caused by medications including salicylates, sulfonamides, quinine, quinidine, or antibiotics. Vitamin K is also given to treat and prevent vitamin K deficiency, a condition in which the body doesn’t have enough vitamin K. It is also used to prevent and treat weak bones (osteoporosis) and relieve itching that often accompanies a liver disease called biliary cirrhosis. Vitamin K2 (menaquinone) is taken by mouth to treat osteoporosis and bone loss caused by steroids, as well as to lower total cholesterol in people on dialysis.

People apply vitamin K to the skin to remove spider veins, bruises, scars, stretch marks, and burns. It is also used topically to treat rosacea, a skin condition that causes redness and pimples on the face. After surgery, vitamin K is used to speed up skin healing and reduce bruising and swelling.

Healthcare providers also give vitamin K by injection to treat clotting problems.
An increased understanding of the role of vitamin K in the body beyond blood clotting led some researchers to suggest that the recommended amounts for dietary intake of vitamin K be increased. In 2001, the National Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board increased their recommended amounts of vitamin K slightly, but refused to make larger increases. They explained there wasn’t enough scientific evidence to make larger increases in the recommended amount of vitamin K

How does it work?
Vitamin K is an essential vitamin that is needed by the body for blood clotting and other important processes.

see source: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-983-VITAMIN%20K.aspx?activeIngredientId=983&activeIngredientName=VITAMIN%20K
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

extremely High Vitamin K for 1 Cup:

raw Parsley =1230%
 frozen Kale-cooked =1433%
frozen Collards-cooked=1324%
frozen Spinach cooked=1487%
Spinach cooked= 1111%
Spinach canned =1235%

Many kidney patients are not aware of the K-factor and its dangerous side effect.  I stumbled on this K-factor while doing research on other subjects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In-center hemodialysis since 1982--32 YEARS on April, 2014
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No interest in transplant.

3 hours   3x/wk
self cannulation
800 dialysate flow (Qd)    400 blood pump (Qb)
Gambro- Polyflux Revaclear (1.4m2)
Arteriovenous Fistula:  32 years intact
Parathyroidectomy 2002
Diagnosis: Glomerulnephristis- High Blood Pressure 1982
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »

Actually many dialysis patients have platelet dysfunction and clotting problems. That is why coumadin is often riskier for dialysis patients . So Vit k is NOT nessessarily a problem. If anyone is worried , have your own clotting checked.  Dont assume you cant eat vit k.   Most CAN.
My own wife has a hard time clotting and less vit k would be dangerous.

Blood clotting (coagulation) studies in humans using 45 mg per day of vitamin K2 (as MK-4)[27] and even up to 135 mg/day (45 mg three times daily) of K2 (as MK-4),[75] showed no increase in blood clot risk. Even doses in rats as high as 250 mg/kg body weight did not alter the tendency for blood-clot formation to occur.[76]

In other words it takes a HUGE amount of vit K to cause clots. Too little is far more dangerous.
Only patients on anti coagulants should limit vit K.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:48:52 AM by obsidianom » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Gerald Lively

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »

A beer will thin your blood.

And the dialysis center will toss you out on your butt.  Also, other good things will happen.  You'll win a lottery.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »

I think that you have to make those vegetables a focus of your diet and eat a lot to cause a problem. Unless you are on coumadin and then consult your doctor. I think coumadin has different rules.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »