I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:27:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Low Phosphorus - any concerns?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low Phosphorus - any concerns?  (Read 3383 times)
iolaire
Elite Member

« on: May 30, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »

Looks like I've doing well with my binders (Renvela) and now at 3.1 in a desired range of 3.0 to 5.5 mg/dL.  Should I be concerned if I manage to push my levels below that normal range?

Also my center puts up signs to take your binders on the day of the lab work, is there some immediate affect with the binders outside of binding to the food that you area eating at that instant?  i.e. if you don't take your binders for a month, would it make any difference if you took them the day of the lab work?

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »

If my phos is low it is a license to eat some pancakes or biscuits or donuts....  I'm not sure what happens if Phos is too low.  Potassium can't be too low or too high because it can stop your heart on either end of the spectrum.

I "think" the clinic gets bonuses for good lab work so maybe if you take binders on the day of labs (which you would if you ate that day) maybe it helps the labs results.  They should encourage you to take your binders everyday. 

Looks like you are doing well.  Have a doughnut!!

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 12:26:36 PM »

Phosphorus should be above 3.0 for best bone health. If you are below it for a short time nothing will happen if it is just a little low. Way too low can lead to issues. Generally 3.0 to 5 is best

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »

^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:13:18 AM by noahvale » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »

I'm still too 'new' at this, been on PD right at a year this week.

My last labs both my Phos and Pot are low, just under the minimum of the range.

I don't know enough to be worried, or should I?

I have been losing just about a half pound a week, which should be a good thing as I am way over, now 269 on a heavy 6 foot frame.

Oh, and last month they gave me fast acting insulin, said the Lantus alone wouldn't do it.

I am somewhat insulin resistant, so as much as I'd love to have a donut, I don't think it would be such a good idea.  Darn!

Starting to add beans to my diet. Aren't they high in something besides gas?

Oh, no binders, I don't even know what they are, yet.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:59:49 AM »

I'm still too 'new' at this, been on PD right at a year this week.

My last labs both my Phos and Pot are low, just under the minimum of the range.

I don't know enough to be worried, or should I?

I have been losing just about a half pound a week, which should be a good thing as I am way over, now 269 on a heavy 6 foot frame.

Oh, and last month they gave me fast acting insulin, said the Lantus alone wouldn't do it.

I am somewhat insulin resistant, so as much as I'd love to have a donut, I don't think it would be such a good idea.  Darn!

Starting to add beans to my diet. Aren't they high in something besides gas?

Oh, no binders, I don't even know what they are, yet.
HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION, :; HOW DO YOU FEEL???
You are focusing too much on just labs. If you feel good then slight deviations are ok. Everyone seems to get too stressed by numbers. Its only a problem if you feel poorly or are WAY off on your numbers.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:17:30 AM »

Other than my normal tiredness and chronic pain in all the joints I have damaged, I think I'm fine.

The low phos and pot, has me slightly worried as I thought both are necessary for normal heart rhythm.

I have noticed mine is 'skipping' beats quite regularly.  I'm hoping that is just because the left side is soo enlarged that it doesn't need to beat as often to get the job done.

Oh, and my calcium is 10,4 again.  I always run high and often slightly over.  I've since pretty much given up milk.  I don't think that will make much difference.  We'll see.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »

With high calcium you often see low phosphorus.  The heart skipping is NOT a good sign. Keep an eye on that . How low is your potassium?

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »

Potassium  3.3   Phos 3.2   Cal 10.3

I eat a banana daily.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »

Potassium  3.3   Phos 3.2   Cal 10.3

I eat a banana daily.
Your phosphorus is perfect. Your calcium is mildly up bu not really bad. Your potassium is mildly down but eating more foods with it should help.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »