I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How much stuff?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much stuff?  (Read 5007 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: April 30, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »

Sometimes it feels like you are moving into the dialysis center instead of showing up for a medical treatment.
So list what you bring with you to the center. Don't be shy.

Here is my list: Kitkatz

a pillow mattress pad
sheet
large, warm blanket
a sit down foam pillow
a bed pillow for my head
clean underwear
plastic bag
Large zipper bag for blanket and sheet
Snack bag-Davita green bag zippered
headphones
snacks
    rice cakes
    candy
    cookies
Cell Phone
cup of ice
Imodium- just in case

myself

It takes my hubby a few minutes to get my space all set up at dialysis.  Yes, I am spoiled.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:05:31 AM »

I used to bring:

Fluffy blanket
Neck pillow
Work laptop and charger
iPad
Cell phone
Protein bar (after fighting with medical director to allow me to eat while I was hooked up)
Bottle of water

I remember toting my blanket and pillow to a non-profit center once when I was on vacation.  They looked at me like I had three heads and produced sheets, pillows and HEATED BLANKETS from their supplies, plus ice chips, water, coffee and tea.

estonb

Dialysis Patient Since 2001

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:08 AM »

I would say that I bring about the "medium" amount of stuff compared to others i my clinic:
- pillow for my back
- pillow for my head (the kind lots of people use on airplanes)
- blanket
- socks
- headphones
- turnicate
- tweezers (for removal of my buttonhole scabs -- those pickers on the needles don't work very well IMO)
- "purse" with my daily stuff (cell phone, binders, blistex, wallet, lots of other crap people like to take where ever that go...)
- bottle of carbonated fruit drink
- lunch bag (sandwich, cheetos, chex snax mix, cookies, extra binders)

I try to consolidate as much of this as I can into 3 bags (small rolling suitcase, purse, lunch bag) so I only wind up having to actually tote around a few things. My facility lets me eat while I am on, so I can bring an entire lunch with me. I have been to other facilities where they frown on eating while on dialysis, however since my blood sugar drops fast if I don't eat something every hour or so I have never had a facility deny me my lunches.

Took me a VERY long time and almost all of the different dialysis modalities to finally accept and be comfortable with all of the life changes associated with being a dialysis patient.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »

I used to bring a bookbag full with:
A sheet
Laptop & charger
DVDs & CDs
Pair of socks
Own bandaids, didn’t like theirs
Books
Cell phone & charger
Water
Change of clothes on early Saturday morning when I’m planning to go out afterwards

It also took me a while to set up before hooking up on the machine. 

CDW  8)

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »

- socks
I'm the only person in my center that I see who brings socks.  I generally try to not weigh myself in my normal socks.  There is no way that I'd sit in the chair for hours with my shoes on.

I bring in one medium sized Whole Foods bag:
iPad
small bag with headphones and iPad stand
Phone
Kindle
Airplane pillow
socks
Snacks - apple, raisins, sometimes hummus, candy (I'm not diabetic)
I've started to try to bring Renvela for after my snack
Water bottle
disinfectant wipes to wipe down the electronics on departure (since I use them as soon as I get home)
note pad and pen
various pieces of paper passed out by the center

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »

This is in the 'trunk' of my car.  So I probably win!

A small fan in case the center STINKS that night.  I put the fan towards the stinking drains and away from me.
A rice bag in case the center is FREEZING that night.
A rolling back-pack with a soft blanket, neck pillow and a sleeve to cover my needle arm.
It also has my water, headphones, stethoscope, bp cuff, tic-tacs, my own Remote, and misc. items (Hair pick, $10, binders etc.)
Big tie fleece blanket with running horses which I like the hoofs towards the ground so I always have the part "never" touching the floor up by me.
Fleece wrapped piece of foam that if 5 feet tall to put in the chair.
Either my tablet, Nook, or my DVD Player
1 blueberry Pop-Tart and 1 Nepro (Butter Pecan)   :waving;

Ninanna

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »

This made me laugh as I was in the middle of eating my lunch that I bring to clinic when I go which always consists of a sandwich and Cheetos.

Spring 2006 - Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy
June 2013 - Listed on transplant list
Feb 4th 2014 - Kidney and bone marrow tx (both from my mother) as part of a clinical trial at Hopkins
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Laptop
Drive Brand wheelchair cushion for my butt
My desk (a board with risers on the end that set on the side tables on the recliner to give me a large flat work surface)
Laptop
Headphones
Spare batteries for headphones
Cell phone
Video files (cloned with SlySoft, or downloaded from Netflix via playlater.tv)
#15 blunts (I'm on home hemo, but there are times when I have to use in-center - some travel; care partner out of town, etc.)
10cc syringes, tape and gauze - so I can get started if the tech is too busy to drop off the stuff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:06:17 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 03:03:48 PM »

I'm on PD at home so I don't know the first thing about in-center hemo, but............. I don't go ANYWHERE without at least a BOOK, and if I know I may have more than a little bit of a wait I also take my laptop.

I was surprised that only a couple take their laptop and NO ONE listed a book, or even a recent magazine.

Cell phone is a given, it is ALWAYS in my pocket. Except in bed, then it's on the nightstand.
Tío Riñon

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »

When I first started dialysis a few years ago, I was on in-center for the first few months while arranging for PD.  I would come directly from work and brought:
blanket or snuggie
backpack with work and laptop
headphones
snack, if I had time to stop by convenience store

I didn't own a cell phone and still don't!

Now when I'm on PD, I make sure that I'm near a TV, have a laptop or iPad, reading material, beverage, and sometimes a snack.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:51:15 AM »

ive got a big ole bag
a lap desk thing
crossword puzzles
a big comfy blanket which is usually rolled up under my lap desk to bring it up closer to my face
a little blanket, also rolled to stick under my fistula side arm
another blanket for my body
a neck pillow
a sketch pad
a generic kindle thing
an mp3 player
jolly ranchers and gum- which we arent technically supposed to have there, so i sneak teehee
pens and pencils

we arent allowed food or drinks at all on the machine at this clinic, my old clinic id bring snacks too, and they provided ice/ ice water. they also had blankets, so i didnt have to bring that, and the tvs there had radio and internet, and games like solitare,etc (gosh i miss that clinic!)
Now that ill be starting using my new graft soon, which is on my right arm, i wont be doing crosswords, although i sure am going to try to write left handed. Im sure i can, it just wont look very good lol and im rather anal about that...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »

My wife has her fistula on her right arm and has learned to type left handed completely during dialysis.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »

This made me laugh as I was in the middle of eating my lunch that I bring to clinic when I go which always consists of a sandwich and Cheetos.

I used to always crave cheetos while on dialysis, that and salted sour dough pretzels. Definitely with you guys on the cheetos haha :2thumbsup;
Even now when I go to a store with my 3 year old son he will yell out mom those are your favorite! haha  :rofl;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »

A small bag with headphones iPhone  iPad 3 rolls of nexcare sensitive skin tape package of crumb cake water bottle
A duffel bag with two blankets a gel foam cushion for my butt a small pillow for my head.
JW77

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »

Being the author of the Original Dialysis Survival Kit! Hahaha :bandance; ::)

Corn snacks, or potato if your potassium is OK.
Cap or hat, those damn lights give me a headache.
Bottle of water,
Food, sandwich, fruit nibbles  I get HUNGRY!
iPad/Pod or generic music player or integrated Phone.

A GOOD set of headphones, chilling with your favourite vibes really passes the time, plus all those lovely downloads on a tablet!
Blanket, depends on the unit, some roast you, some freeze you.
A fan, again, pending the unit!

Other optional items, subscription magazines, kindle, book,

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »