I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 03:28:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Clear urine
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clear urine  (Read 16489 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »

Ok, I'm getting a little concerned about my urine output lately. It is completely clear to almost completely clear in color the last few days (I've been having episodes of frothy and/or crystal-like pieces for about a year, but I know that's kidney failure related). I'm not drinking any more than normal either. I'm also  feeling more fatigued and having a little bit of chest pain if I do too much (which doesn't take too long). I think the fatigue and chest pain is due to my anemia. I told my nephro about it, but he just asked me if I told my regular doc and moved on to something else. My concern now, is the urine. Is this good or bad that there is no color at all? My last blood work 38 days ago showed my creat at 3.1, BUN at 44 and my GFR at 19. I'm just afraid my values are getting worse due the urine change and fatigue, but my nephro can't see me until Sept. 10th!

My other question is, is there another way to get an accurate measure of your kidney function besides just the estimated GFR?

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

Uhm.... the clearer your urine is the better. That's how you know things are doing good.

"If you put a piece of paper in the toilet you want to be able to read through your urine."

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »

I agree with Angie, clear is better. Would your regular doctor order blood work for you? Or could you go to the ER when the chest pain happens?
If they would run labs for you, you would at least have peace of mind. Ask them to call you with your results. At least you won't be on pins and needles waiting until Sept 10th.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »

OK, now wait a gosh darn pickin' minute...  I, too, heard from Dr. Oz on Oprah that the clearer is better but what i am not understanding is i thought the yellow in the urine is the toxins being removed from your body? ???  Oh Lord, this is all too much for me to understand,  :P  now where is my sippy cup  :wine;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 02:34:19 PM »

OK, now wait a gosh darn pickin' minute...  I, too, heard from Dr. Oz on Oprah that the clearer is better but what i am not understanding is i thought the yellow in the urine is the toxins being removed from your body? ???  Oh Lord, this is all too much for me to understand,  :P  now where is my sippy cup  :wine;

That's why I'm concerned too! The yellow is waste product. The more you drink, the lighter yellow it will become, HOWEVER, it is still yellow to a degree. I have NO YELLOW at all, so does that mean the waste products are all staying in my body?! This happened over the course of a few weeks and it's not clear sometimes, it's always clear now. As I'm not on dialysis yet, I have no fluid restrictions and I am obsessed with Crystal Light Raspberry Green Tea. I drink exactly the whole 2 quarts that I make at a time, everyday. I have consumed the same amount for years (although it has been other flavors as well). And it's very yellow due to coloring, so where is THAT yellow going?!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
George Jung

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:21 PM »

I am interested in this topic also so I Googled "color of urine" and found this right off the bat...............

Urine
Urine consists of water and dissolved waste material from what you have been drinking and eating. It also includes dead blood cells and other material the body wants to eliminate.

The kidneys process the blood plasma, allowing water, sugars, vitamins, amino acids and other vital substances back into the bloodstream. They eliminate excess water, salts and minerals, as well as urea from protein digestion, uric acid, creatinine from muscle breakdown, hormone waste and toxins. Also eliminated is urochrome, which is a yellow pigment that comes from the processing of dead blood cells in the liver.

The urochrome gives the urine a pale yellow color, which is its normal color.

Abnormal colors
Since the normal color of urine is pale yellow, variations can be an indication of health problems or be the result of certain foods that have been eaten.

Clear urine
If a person has been drinking an excess of water or diuretics such as coffee or beer, the urine may have little or no color. Typically, it is nothing to worry about if it happens occasionally.

Yellow urine
Excess sweating could result in the urine becoming a deeper yellow. Also, it is a sign that you have not been drinking enough liquids

Dark yellow urine
Liver problems or jaundice can cause the urine to become consistently a dark yellow color. Be sure you have been drinking enough fluids before jumping to conclusions.

Orange urine
People who eat too many carrots--like from a juicer--may see orange urine. Also, too much Vitamin C can turn the urine orange.

Brown urine
Brown urine can an indication of a serious condition. It could be caused by liver disease, hepatitis, melanoma cancer, or copper poisoning. Other symptoms from those ailments should also be considered as indicators. But note that if you had recently eaten fava beans or taken a laxative, your urine also could turn brown.

Greenish urine
A urinary tract infection, bile problems and certain drugs can cause the urine to turn greenish. A brighter green color is an indication of an excess of B vitamins.

Blue urine
Urine with a bluish tint can be caused by a psuedomonas bacterial infection. It can also be an indication of high levels of calcium.

Reddish urine
There are a number of things that can cause the urine to have a red tint.

Blood
A small amount of blood in the urine can give it a red tint. Sometimes droplets of blood are seen. A bladder infection, kidney stones or bladder stones can result in urine with red in it. Also, a slight injury to the bladder or kidney can result in bleeding into the urine. Some professional boxers have been known to pass blood in their urine after a fight.

If you see what looks like blood in your urine, it is a good idea to go to the doctor to check the condition.

Food
Eating beets can result in reddish-purple urine.

Acidic urine will turn red after eating blackberries. Alkaline urine will look reddish after eating rhubarb. Whether your urine is acidic or alkaline is usually determined by other foods you have eaten.

Candy or pills with a dye can temporarily turn the urine red.

Poison
Lead or mercury poisoning can turn the urine reddish. If you suspect you have ingested and have been handling those toxic metals, and your urine is red, you should see your physician.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »

Thanks George, that was an interesting, yet very informative read  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 05:17:41 PM »

Mike has been on dialysis since 2/5/07.  He has PKD.  His kidneys still produce a large quantity of clear urine.  Both nephs and the dialysis nurses said it is because the kidneys are still producing urine but are NOT filtering.  So your concern is possibly warranted, but, you may be fine to wait until the 10th to be seen if you watch your diet closely.

If I were you, I would call my doc's office and tell them that since this clear urine is a recent development I am going to drop by, just for a blood draw, so we can discuss the results when I come in on the 10th.  BTW, my doc and Mike's old neph would have done that, but I know some docs won't.  If that's the case with you, I would insist on being seen BEFORE 9/10.   :twocents;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
keefer51

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 06:50:22 PM »

I remember when i had my transplant i had color to my urine. My last year in Nashville my urine was clear and stayed clear up to being on dialysis. Now i wish my urine would be ANY color! I haven't peed in two years or more. For some reason i remember being told to watch out for clear urine. That it was telling me i had a problem. Sure enough i did.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 08:16:53 PM »

I feel ya keefer... in 1999, my first time on dialysis, I didn't pee.... which was great for my 3 day drive from Florida to Vegas, haha. However, I missed it.

Now I enjoy peeing, even if it's in the middle of sleep or at he movies... I CAN PEE!!

I know if I have been drinking enough fluids or not because if I have been drinking enough, I can read through my pee, if I have not been drinking enough, its very very yellow... I then go down a 20oz of water. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Roxy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 08:25:26 PM »

Right before dialysis and during dialysis ( I still peed a little) my urine was completely clear, regardless of the amount that I drank. From what i remember it is just that if the kidney still has some function it is letting the liquid go through, but just not filtering it. I remember before I started dialysis they looked mostly at my BUN because that told them how much waste I guess was still in my system or the toxins.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »

Hmmm...I think it's time to call the neph and start getting pushing. He better not tell me that I "wouldn't be having those symptoms yet!" Thanks to everyone who's responded--you've been a great help. I'd much rather get my info here. One, I've learned never to believe half of what's on the internet (excluding you guys!) and two,  pretty much to ignore doctors because they think they know everything, when in reality, they don't. And they think you're at the bottom of the totem pole and they're at the top! Would you believe I used to work for a doctor who actually told his staff he thought he was God (and believed it too)!!!

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »

(for those who still pee) Has anyone noticed what happens a couple of hours  after you take a vitamin supplement after dialysis?? Your urine turns a "glowing" yellow... which is telling me its going straight through.  :-\ Does anyone else experience this?
George Jung

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 06:02:51 PM »

Sorry Amanda but I do not take a single pill/vitamin right now.
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »

Hey Paddbear.  You will be fine until the 10th.  My neph told me that that when my urine was clear then dialysis probably wouldn't be too far off as this is a sign that the toxins are not being removed.  That was a year ago and I am still doing OK.  I just want to get my trip to Vegas and then I will not feel cheated and I will start the dialysis journey. I get the chest pain and fatigue with my aneamia as well.  My creatnine is 4.5 so we are both probably at about the same place right now.  You'll be fine until you see you neph.  Cheers, Cindy. 
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 04:17:26 PM »

Lucinda - I hope you will be in Vegas.  We must be about at the same stage. Our numbers are similar, chest pain, fatigue, lack of appetite etc. They told me 2 years ago that I would be on dialysis in 6 months, but we have been trying for a transplant, so my neph has worked with me to prolonge as long as possible.  At about 12% and holding.  Transplant doesn't seem likely now, so doc tells me we need to get serious now.  Anyway, I hope to see you in Vegas. What fun!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »

Thanks for everyones replies! They've been helpful and/or comforting. A slight bit of good news though. I had to pee in a cup the other day and it was slightly yellow. I think maybe that since I barely pee at all when I do pee, it just looks clear when in all that water! who knows. I see the doc Monday, so keep your fingers crossed!   :)

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »

Ah me, another oldie of great interest.
Urine.
This is a well covered topic and very informative.  :thumbup;

Color will vary according to what one eats and drinks.
Odor may or may not increase, depending on numerous variables.

Volume output is a variable according to 'what one drinks and dialysis effectiveness'.   :boxing; :boxing;
Picked up this note on-line:
"This happens because as the blood is filtered during dialysis, fluid is removed, thus reducing the kidneys' traditional role. As a result many dialysis patients produce very small amounts of urine."

If liquid intake is limited, it makes sense that the output will also be reduced from what one thinks it should be.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
lainiepop

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »

When i had my tx i remenber commenting at an outpatients appointment that i was concernerd as my wee was yellow not water like to which doc replied thats how its supposed to look (he called it weeing champagne instead of lemonade lol) my wee varies from yellow to clear dependingg on how much ive drunk now xx

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »

Mine is always bright yellow in the morning and by evening it's almost clear. I assume that's because I don't drink in my sleep, so by morning after getting up to pee several times during the night, I'm probably somewhat dehydrated. My tx neph wants me to drink about three liters a day. By bedtime, I almost slosh when I walk.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 11:10:26 AM »

Clear urine in renal failure is a step where you no longer have the ability to concentrate urea and creatinine along with other elements involved in uremia. It is actually sign of diminished residual urine function.

Clear is good when you have normal renal function and are well hydrated. Dark urine for someone with normal function implies dehydration.

In a patient with renal failure, it implies the lack of ability to clear anything but a small amount of water. That is not really a "good" thing as several in the early part of this thread implied. Clearance of water is about the last thing to go before people become anuric.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:58 PM »

The inability to concentrate urine can happen very early in renal failure.  Very light urine, that is with no color, does not indicate healthy output (although paler urine is a good indication of adequate hydration in healthy kidneys). 

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »

I don't want to get graphic but clear urine was the sign I knew my kidneys were going downhill.  The worse my function got, my urine was clear like water.  What really scared me [here comes the TMI] was in the past, when I would eat beets or drink beet juice, my output was always a bright pink or typical beeturia.  When my kidneys moved into Stage 3, I noticed that this didn't happen anymore.  I still pee and I still eat beets and again, none of the colour is concentrated like it used to be.

There's your word for the day: beeturia. 

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 02:23:15 AM »

Clear urine in renal failure is a step where you no longer have the ability to concentrate urea and creatinine along with other elements involved in uremia. It is actually sign of diminished residual urine function.

Clear is good when you have normal renal function and are well hydrated. Dark urine for someone with normal function implies dehydration.

In a patient with renal failure, it implies the lack of ability to clear anything but a small amount of water. That is not really a "good" thing as several in the early part of this thread implied. Clearance of water is about the last thing to go before people become anuric.
What is weird is my wife has been on dialysis for 2 years and still urinates yellow. It looks as normal as mine. (we love to compare). She still urinates several times per day. The only thing I can figure is that she started NXstage at home within 2 months of starting dialysis and so virtually the entire time, I have been doing the dialysis . That gave me the ability to run 5 days per week and not remove fluid as they tried to do in center. I also run the blood speed slower at 340. Perhaps this protects her residual function .

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »

As my kidneys worsened, my urine darkened, stank, and frothy.

Started PD almost a year ago, GFR now 14%.

The only thing that has changed with my urine is volume, down to about 300 ml daily, same frothy dark stinky urine.

Doesn't matter how much I drink, that only changes how much I pull off during my exchanges, anywhere from 250 to 500 ml per exchange.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »