I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cost of Hemodialysis in center.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cost of Hemodialysis in center.  (Read 4731 times)
komomai

« on: April 14, 2014, 04:58:23 AM »

Aloha All, I went back home to Hawaii for the holidays so I arranged to visit a clinic near Kaneohe for about 4 weeks at 3 times per week.  So my Coventry statement  showed 3 bills  from the clinic for a total of $52,898 wow!  Now compared to the Okinawa, Japan hospital that I go to a monthly bill runs about $4,000 a month, this includes lab work, epogen shots, Doctors visiting every patient to look at their records and talk to them to see how their doing, also nurses instead of dialysis technicians that can't do the needles or hook up of catheters.  Now I don't speak Japanese but when speaking dialysis it's all the same, dry weight , target weight, nausea, etc.  It also seems I'm the only one who has questions for the doctors and nurses, it seems to me the majority of patients show up lie down on the bed and wait to get hooked up and fall asleep.

I really hope this fistula will work for me as I can't spend anymore time in a hospital, wish me luck.  And a big mahalo to this site and super people. :2thumbsup;
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

Good luck with your fistula Komomai

:2thumbsup;           :flower;

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »

Thank God for the Australian health system! Dialysis and all its myriad attachments cost me the grand total of $zero!

Galvo
komomai

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 06:33:49 AM »

Mahalo cassandra for the well wishes.

Wow galvo, can't beat $0 for you health care, amazing.  Makes me afraid of going back to the US as their medical costs are outrageous.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »

All I can add is for us there is no cost for dialysis . WE have medicare and a supplement that picks it up 100%.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »

I agree with obsidianom. When I started dialysis I had private insurance from work and I paid nothing for my dialysis treatments. Then with Medicare and a supplement through Blue Cross I paid nothing for my dialysis treatments. I do of course pay my insurance premiums. For me, drug costs have been a problem sometimes based on what I was taking. Right now they're pretty low. I think the high costs are a symptom of a problem here in the US. Since nobody with insurance actually pays the full billed cost, billing rates have become exaggerated in order to make do with the percentage the company receives. (Yes, I know some large companies are getting rich but not most small independent operations.)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »

Really it is true.  I live in the USA and with Medicare and my secondary I don't pay anything except some out of pocket for medications.  But, it burns me up to see the submitted charges of $60K a month when they know they are only going to get $3,000 from Medicare and a little from my secondary.  I wish they would just tell the truth.

cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:47:38 AM »

I totally agree with you Rerun.  :beer1;

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »

Really it is true.  I live in the USA and with Medicare and my secondary I don't pay anything except some out of pocket for medications.  But, it burns me up to see the submitted charges of $60K a month when they know they are only going to get $3,000 from Medicare and a little from my secondary.  I wish they would just tell the truth.
Every once in a while some chump pays it.    I am still on private insurance (Medicare starts in December).     I had two out of town treatments at a DaVita clinic.   My insurance pays my local clinic a bit over $400 per treatment (home or in center, same deal).   My two treatments at DaVita were billed at over $10,000 ($5K+ each), and my insurance paid a total of $9150 - for two four hour in clinic treatments.   At that price, they should have thrown in a massage.
noahvale
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:59:47 AM by noahvale » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »

My two treatments at DaVita were billed at over $10,000 ($5K+ each), and my insurance paid a total of $9150 - for two four hour in clinic treatments.   At that price, they should have thrown in a massage.

At that price the massage should have included a happy ending.
I almost said that but wondered if it would be in bad taste  :2thumbsup;
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

Bad taste-yes. True/relevant-yes.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »