I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 06:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Elderly Dialysis Patients do not derive benefit
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elderly Dialysis Patients do not derive benefit  (Read 3991 times)
kidneydoc

« on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »

Hmm it seems as if one week after I clicked publish on my article on can you be too old for dialysis more information on the same topic has become available.

The plot thickens
http://www.allkidney.com/2009/10/older-dialysis-patients-may-not-derive-benefit-from-dialysis.html

All Kidney News

Information on kidney disease in clear easy to understand language. Topics covered include:
Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Herbal medicine and the kidney
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 01:15:04 AM »

I read your article with interest and I suppose you have to weigh up the pro's and cons. When my husband was in hospital in Rhodes Greece they had just put a PD catheter into a guy who was 82. He looked so poorly, had a little dementuer and I thought "why do this at that age" He lived with his elderly wife on a small island and a nurse was going to have to go in 4 times aday to sort him out. I dont know!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:02:02 AM »

It is usually left up to the family and they can't let poor Grandma go.  Yet, they are too busy to stop and see her or help her out or god forbid stay with her at dialysis.  I think it is up to the doctors to stress that dialysis would be more 'harm' than good to an aging relative who cannot think or speak for themselves.

If Grandma is 92 and wants dialysis and understands the process then that is a different story. 

To me if you don't know your are even at dialysis, then you don't know or understand why you feel bad. 

My understanding is kidney failure is not a bad death.  Your toxins build up and you go to sleep and never wake up.
                                        :pray;

kidneydoc

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

hmm yes letting go is hard. I dont know what I would do. I agree the person with the least emotional investment (the doctor) should counsel properly.

Which brings to mind the ethics of dialysis in the reimbursement model that currently exist. Maybe a separate person equally detached should be the one to receive the report from the doctor and then discuss things with the patients family I dunno this is a tough one. It works in england i understand but not so well in the US.

All Kidney News

Information on kidney disease in clear easy to understand language. Topics covered include:
Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Herbal medicine and the kidney
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

In the U.S. dialysis is paid for by the government, so if the person has a pulse they put them on diaysis because it is a pay check.  Sad.

talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:03:08 PM »

Hmm it seems as if one week after I clicked publish on my article on can you be too old for dialysis more information on the same topic has become available.

The plot thickens
http://www.allkidney.com/2009/10/older-dialysis-patients-may-not-derive-benefit-from-dialysis.html
Now at 88 years of age, it's not a matter of to old or nor for dialysis.  ???  But purely a matter of are you the patient aware or not of what is taking place. :waving;
As was mentioned in the posts above, if the patient is not aware at any time, of what is taking place, perhaps it is time to wrap it all up. :(
The one in my family with the authority to apply my decisions, has my written instructions on how and what to do.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »