I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Free talk: Ethical Controversies in Organ Donation and Transplantation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free talk: Ethical Controversies in Organ Donation and Transplantation  (Read 2167 times)
EndPKD

« on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »

Ethical Controversies in Organ Donation and Transplantation

What are ethics and how do they impact organ donation and transplantation? Should Ontario adopt an opt-out model of consent for organ donation? Why is Spain the world leader in deceased organ donation? What’s wrong with “transplant tourism”? Michael Campbell MHSc, BA, will address these questions and more.

WHEN:    Sunday, March 16, 2014 / 2pm - 4pm

WHERE:    Classroom B (T2208)
      2nd Floor, Juravinski Innovation Tower
      St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton       
      50 Charlton Ave. East, Hamilton, L8N 4A6

Mr. Campbell joined the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation of Canada’s Board of Directors in January 2012. He has worked in the University Health Network Bioethics Program as a Senior Fellow in Organ Donation and Transplantation Ethics. He completed a Masters of Health Science degree and a Bioethics Fellowship at the University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics. His research interests included ethical issues in the selection of living organ donors and the allocation of organs from anonymous living donors.

On-site parking (payment required) and street parking (free) is available. This public presentation is part of an ongoing series of free 2-hour informational support meetings hosted by the Hamilton Chapter of the PKD Foundation of Canada. Registration is not required.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:14:10 AM »

Really enjoyed this speaker and the topic discussion, so glad I went, it was great to see you there! :waving;

Thank you for all you do, I really enjoy the PKD group!           :thx;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »