I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  On PD? How to Deal With Trash?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On PD? How to Deal With Trash?  (Read 4084 times)
BattleScars

« on: January 09, 2014, 04:08:34 AM »

I have a question. I've been on PD for a little over 2 years now and I still haven't found a method that works well for dealing with all the waste. Here's my method and the problem with it. I do 4 manual exchanges a day. I take my solution bags and place them in the bathtub. I learned very quickly that if you place these bags any place else the clamps easily fall off and you have a big mess to clean up. Placing them in the tub at least assures me that if the clamps fall off I won't have that big mess. After a few bags pile up I drain them as best as I can and then put them in a big trash bag that I also keep in the tub. When the trash bag gets pretty full I take everything out to the trash bin.

Here's my problem, no matter how well I drain the bags there's always some fluid in the tubes. The trash bag leaks everywhere, especially when I put the trash bag outside the tub so I can shower. Also when I'm carrying the bag out to the trash it leaks all over the place. I tried using a giant trash can in the tub but that fills with fluid also and I have to always clean it out. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go back to that method if I can't come up with anything else. I was wondering how other people deal with this. I want to make a trip to the store today to buy something to take care of this problem. My bathroom floor is getting ruined.
Shaks24

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:53 AM »

I do the cycler with a drain line that empties directly into the toilet. When I was doing 4 manuals a day, I would drain the bags after each exchange into the toilet by putting the control valve over the toilet opening and removing the cap.The bags when full sat on the toilet water storage tank. Then I put everything in a black plastic bag and threw away when the trash bag was half full. I did not have problems with leaks. Maybe just an occasional drip or so.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
Weggy

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:19:04 AM »

When I was doing manuals, I hung the bags on a shower hook over my tub. I let it drain for a while and it has very little fluid in them when they are done (<5mL).

Tío Riñon

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »

I have bags from both the cycler (5 total) and another from the manual I do in the afternoon.  The cycler bags have built-in clamps, so I close them.  I also replace the tips that were on the ends when I set up the tubing.  Most of the liquid is gone when I finish in the morning, but if not, these safe guards keep leakage to a minimum.  The manual bag I handle similar to the other posters by hanging it from my shampoo/soap rack when I'm done and allowing the liquid to drain into the tub.  There is little liquid remaining as well when it is done.

I keep a kitchen-sized trash can in the guest room lined with the appropriate trash bags and throw all the bags and tubing in the there.  If necessary, I can bring it to the bedroom or bathroom if I am worried about drips.  I can get 2-3 days of refuse in there before I have to haul it out to the trash.  Generally, no problem with dripping.

Have you tried the "strong as steel" reinforced bags?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

When I did PD I also put the bags in the tub. If I did anything else I would spill it. But don't wait for them to drain. Use a scissors and slit them open. They drain fast and completely. Then I would put them in a large trash can in a garbage bag. No problems.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »

I use the cycler with drain bags. I drag them into the tub and cut them open with scissors when I get up in the morning. I keep a separate kitchen-sized trash can in the bedroom and throw them in after I drain them. When the trash bag is full, I take it out to the big trash can that the collection people pick up. There isn't much left in the bags after I cut them open and I've never had a mess from it.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
marlinfshr

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:18:28 PM »

When I'm done my manual drain I just rest the bag on the vanity and let it drain into the toilet. When it's done I hold it up a second to drain the last few drops out and then roll the bag up, continuing with the hose around the rolled up bag and toss it in the trash. I haven't had a leak in the house yet and when rolling up the bags I can fit a lot more in the trash then I could when I just tossed the empty's in the can.

The only spill I had was while taking them to the clinic for my second test. I placed the box on the passanger seat of my car and I guess a clamp came off. :oops; It took about 2 month's and several interior hose downs to get rid of that smell as it was still the end of the summer so it kind of got cooked. :puke; I have since learned to just take my truck and throw the box in the back whenever I have to take a sample in. I also make sure to pinch the hose in the corner of the box flaps for added security.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »

marlinfshr, I always lined my box with a big trash bag when taking a 24 hr collection in. That way if a clip slipped it was contained in the bag.

As for the bag issue, I did CCPD with a manual drain 3 hours after I got off in the morning. When I was done with the cycler, I took the drain bag and put it in the bathtub and drain it there. Same thing with the manual drain, just put it in the tub and drained it. I kept a big trash bag in the tub and the empties went into it. Took it out twice a week and didn't have any problems with it. HTH.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
BattleScars

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »

When I'm done my manual drain I just rest the bag on the vanity and let it drain into the toilet. When it's done I hold it up a second to drain the last few drops out and then roll the bag up, continuing with the hose around the rolled up bag and toss it in the trash. I haven't had a leak in the house yet and when rolling up the bags I can fit a lot more in the trash then I could when I just tossed the empty's in the can.

The only spill I had was while taking them to the clinic for my second test. I placed the box on the passanger seat of my car and I guess a clamp came off. :oops; It took about 2 month's and several interior hose downs to get rid of that smell as it was still the end of the summer so it kind of got cooked. :puke; I have since learned to just take my truck and throw the box in the back whenever I have to take a sample in. I also make sure to pinch the hose in the corner of the box flaps for added security.

LMAO! I had a similar accident. I took my 24 urine in and I still produce a lot so it was almost full. It fell over in the car and the lid wasn't on tight. It spilled everywhere in our new car. Gross. I learned from that one lol
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »

Jenna does 3 manuals during the day. Her PD nurse had her roll the bag from top to bottom, toward the tube, after they drained over the toilet. Any last bits of fluid get pushed out. Then she wraps the tubing around in and tosses it in a trash can with a plastic bag liner.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 08:18:01 PM »

I am on manual PD 4X daily.

My PD Nurse suggested that I put a decent weight picture hook on the wall above the toilet, hang my bag there with the hose held under the seat while draining.

I stuff the empty bags and hoses into the original wrapper/bag and toss in the trash.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »