I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 03:22:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  What transplant meds and/or part D plan to use
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What transplant meds and/or part D plan to use  (Read 2608 times)
marlinfshr

« on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:12 AM »

I'm trying to determine a medicare part "D" plan for prescriptions. I am currently on the transplant list , though just recently listed as of a few month's ago and have blood type "O" so I'm going to have a bit of a wait. I'm posting this in the transplant section because it has more to do specifically with a future transplant.

I was given a list of "possible" drugs I may be prescribed while at my transplant evaluation. About 5 possible imuno-suppressant drugs would be covered under medicare part B according to them. But there was a list of about 9 other drugs that they said are not so I would need some sort of drug plan. The only one of the 9 they "assured" me will definatily be prescribed is Valcyte which is quite pricey and the list shows it may be once or twice a day.

So, I'm wondering how many drugs those of you post transplant are being prescribed? And what are they as well?

I'm just trying to get an idea as at the moment all I know is they are expensive and that I have a list of many possible drugs but I'm sure I won't be prescribed every one of them.

Also, if you have a medicare part "d" plan I'd like to know which one and whether you are happy with it or not. Just trying to get an idea.

Or perhaps I'm overthinking everything and should just go for the best plan now that works for my current situation of blood pressure medication and blood thinners and change to another plan post transplant as I'm sure that will be several years away.

thank you
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 01:25:21 AM »

The problem with changing plans closer to transplant is you can get the call sooner than you expect. Also, you can only change plans during open enrollment in the fall.

Valcyte is terribly expensive and is not likely to be a preferred drug with an affordable copay. You should just assume it will cost too much.

I got my Plan C through my local Blue Cross. They associate with another company AmeriHealth for Part D so that was who I went with. They offered two levels of drug coverage. I took the better coverage with a slightly higher monthly premium.

After transplant I took prograf, cellcept, prednisone, valcyte, simvastatin, zoloft, clonidine, omeprazole, zofran, mycelex troche, bactrim, magnesium, vitamin, baby aspirin. The last three are over the counter and not covered. I have since added neurontin, metoprolol, nifedapine, and alendronate. Bactrim and mycelex troche are only for 6-12 months. Valcyte is usually 3 months unless you have a previous issue with CMV.

There's no perfect way to pick a plan. Just do your best and try to save a little money for the initial drug order after transplant. I owed a lot because of the donut hole but that is supposed to get smaller over the next few years.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:26:25 AM »

The problem with changing plans closer to transplant is you can get the call sooner than you expect. Also, you can only change plans during open enrollment in the fall.

Valcyte is terribly expensive and is not likely to be a preferred drug with an affordable copay. You should just assume it will cost too much.

I got my Plan C through my local Blue Cross. They associate with another company AmeriHealth for Part D so that was who I went with. They offered two levels of drug coverage. I took the better coverage with a slightly higher monthly premium.

After transplant I took prograf, cellcept, prednisone, valcyte, simvastatin, zoloft, clonidine, omeprazole, zofran, mycelex troche, bactrim, magnesium, vitamin, baby aspirin. The last three are over the counter and not covered. I have since added neurontin, metoprolol, nifedapine, and alendronate. Bactrim and mycelex troche are only for 6-12 months. Valcyte is usually 3 months unless you have a previous issue with CMV.

There's no perfect way to pick a plan. Just do your best and try to save a little money for the initial drug order after transplant. I owed a lot because of the donut hole but that is supposed to get smaller over the next few years. I've been happy with most of my copays.
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »

Just had my transplant. My doctors are telling me the anti rejection meds are covered under part b not d. I don't know if this is new or if they are wrong. I haven't had time to really find out.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »

They are correct that anti-rejection meds are covered under Part B, not D.  This is only for the first 36 months after transplant.  After that, unless you qualify for Medicare for other reasons (age 65 or over or another disability) you will lose your eligibility for Medicare and will have to require another type of insurance to cover your meds.  This is one of the reasons why some people never list for transplant, because of the med cost issue. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »