I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Foreign Transplant-Interesting Information
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Foreign Transplant-Interesting Information  (Read 2005 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: March 15, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »

When I was on dialysis I became interested in the possibility of a foreign transplant.  There are so many ways to go about getting one and so much information out there regarding it that I thought I would share some information that came my way earlier today.

I was in the hospital for a little day surgery and got into a conversation with my recovery room nurse.  She is from the Philippines and mentioned that her sister who still lives there received a local transplant two years ago.  It was a living donor transplant that she paid for out of her own pocket.  When I asked what her sister paid for everything my jaw about dropped to the floor with her answer.

The total cost of her sister's living donor kidney transplant was $6,000.00 U.S. dollars.  Wow!  Medicare here will pay far more than that for just a month of dialysis.  Any way you look at it...it is cheap!  Frankly, I was expecting the figure to be much higher.  Anyway...just a bit of information for those of you who might have wondered what this option might cost. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:45:52 PM by livecam » Logged
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 09:28:27 PM »

i would be worried about how safe it would be, clean etc. one of my doctors teaches in egypt during summers and he told me the conditions are terrible. i do realize some country's are just as good as the states, but i'd have to do a huge amount of research and would worry none the less. i even have concerns about some hospitals here. the price is interesting none the less.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:15:40 PM »

Why do you have to pay for a kidney across seas?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Chicken Little

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »

My dentist is from Iran, and his family is still there.  Just before my last cleaning his father was killed in a car accident and could have been a organ donor, but there were no takers.  He said the transplant wait time is nil because so many people die from violence/accidents each day.   :(   
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »