I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:16:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Tourniquets and Sadistic Nurses
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tourniquets and Sadistic Nurses  (Read 6033 times)
meadowlandsnj

« on: March 07, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »

My hemo nurse used a tourniquet on me the other day, which is normal.  Before she inserted the needles she put it around really tight so I was wincing.  She saw this and laughs and says sorry.  LAUGHS!  So she put the needles in, fine.  She then SNAPS the dam tourniquet on PURPOSE to untie it and it freakin' hurt like hell!!  And she giggles and says she's sorry!  I had round bruises on my arm from the tourniquets they use.  It's a peice of rubber ribbon.  But what got it is that she snapped it right on my arm.  I want to tie the thing around her fat neck and snap it when she has it on.

Do I need a tourniquet?  Can I refuse it?

donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »

You should have kicked her accidentally on purpose. I would never let her touch me again.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

I don't know about refusing the tourniquet.  (I've got a graft, so never needed one.)

I do know you can refuse to let that particular nurse cannulate you ever again!  If you don't want to make those kind of waves - the next time the tourniquet gets put on too tight - reach over and release it.  Simply tell them to put it on again, a little more loosely. I've had my blood drawn enough - the darn thing doesn't have to hurt like crazy, even if it's not exactly comfortable.  Don't sit thru it, donna.

Borrow kitkat's big stick if you have to, hon!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »

Here I have telepathically sent you the big stick to use next time!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
brenda

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:24:41 AM »

Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. It's your arm and your fistula. Putting too tight isn't good for it. Try holding your arm yourself. As for that nurse tell her to "pound sand" next time she wants to needle you.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:40:26 PM »

You should show her those bruises!   >:(

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 02:47:11 PM »

Report what happened to the person in charge and let them see the bruises.  She needs to face the consequences for treating a human being like that. Stick up for your rights. Let everyone in the unit know what she did by telling her why you won't let her touch you again.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »

Why did she use the tourniquet in the first place?  Does your fistula roll or is it too deep?  I know that can't be good if it is left on too long, you don't want to clot off. 
I wouldn't let that nurse near me again if she get her giggles by deliberately hurting you.  You should refuse.  There is NO need to treat someone like that.  For gods sake, we have enough pain in our lives.  Why would a nurse think they need to inflict more on us?!?!    Just my  :twocents;.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 01:30:46 PM »

Thanks everyone for your thoughts a replies.  I made a cpmplaint and will not let her near me again! 

:beer1;

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 06:34:32 PM »

Good for you!  If you don't look out for yourself, who will?   :clap;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 09:52:55 AM »

good for you for complaining!...and don't let her help you next time. I use a tourniquet everyday and I do home hemo, so I cannulate myself. At home we don't use a rubber tourniquet, we use a cloth one with a mechanical clamp. Works incredibly fine!
bigshot99

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:58:07 PM »

Wow,,i  use turniquet on my patients and have no trouble, it should never hurt,, but that nurse left burises on your arm when she used it.That should never happen when  a turniquet is used.Hell yes you have every right to be furious when bruises are left on your arm by a tourniquet. she could have damaged your fistula.

I would show that nurse your arm,let her know what she did so she wont do this to any other patients there.

tourniquets should  NEVER,, bruise arms.
DeLana

Dialysis RN

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:57:53 PM »

This nurse was way out of line, and you were right to report her and not to let her touch you again.

In general, it's best to use tourniquets with all fistulas, even well-developed ones.  But - they don't have to be very tight (some nurses or techs try to compensate for their poor cannulation skills by tightening the tourniquet too much - as if that made the fistula any bigger...).  Instead of a rubber tourniquet, a BP cuff can be used, and some patients apply pressure above the cannulation site themselves.

Good luck to you, I hope you'll never have such an unprofessional experience with a nurse again.

DeLana

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »