I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 02:16:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what do you do during the daytime?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what do you do during the daytime?  (Read 3696 times)
si

« on: December 18, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »

Good Morning everyone,

Could you kindly share what activities do you do everyday?
Let's share the things you do and can do routinely, joyfully and happily,  :grouphug;
 :cheer:

Misery is a form of imagination to the future and thinking back to the pass.
To stay still on the only present time, misery can't creep into our mind.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »

Tuesdays I volunteer at the grade school having kids read to me and then I sharpen all the pencils for the teacher.

Wednesday nights I have the Church ladies over to my house.

I have a part time job at home.

I keep busy but can't think of any more right now.

si

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:21 PM »

Thanks Rerun,
To be a valunteer , a partime job or else are very good for all aspects. You GIVEs others as a valunteer, i really admire you.  :2thumbsup;
My patient doesn't do anything. She has no mood to do nothing else than watching TV , playing Ipad.
She used to go outside to feed monkeys , fish , turtles , and see birds but she doesn't go anymore.
I try to find some activities for her  , that should benefit her to be happy and have more joyful life.  But she refuses everything now.
 :(

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »

I go to work, still have the "day job" thing to deal with.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »

Maybe try to engage her to both read a book and discuss it.  Just trying to think.....  Does she have a dog or cat?  Get her one.

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »

I juggle a full-time job, two dogs, two cats, and a house. In my spare time (about an hour in the evenings), I'm working on a large cross-stitch project.

Has your patient been evaluated for depression? Are you making suggestions for things for her to do by herself, or are you available to do things with her? It's easier to get someone to be more active with someone else than alone.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Dman73

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:13:52 AM »

I follow the market and look for an opportunity to trade and swim at the YMCA in the afternoon.

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

Si, you cannot make your patient do what you want her to do. She has to want to do it.  Maybe to you, watching TV and playing with an Ipad is meanless but to her, its something she enjoys doing.  You have to respect other people decisions.  Maybe you can invite her out with you to do some exciting activities together.  However,  she is grown and you cannot make her do anything she does not want to do.  Give her some time, she will find other things that will interest her.  She just trying to cope with what she's dealing with.

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:46:35 PM »

It's really hard to explain how your brain can feel different on dialysis. She may not feel up to intense activities right now, physically or mentally. I do agree an evaluation for depression is useful. But she has to want to do stuff.

When you say patient, what is your relationship? Is this what she reports she does? Or are you with her all day?
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 06:22:24 PM »

I am the "stay at home Mommy" for my 2 year old grandson.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
si

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »

First of all , truly thank you for all replies,

I m with her all the time day and night. I actually married but now separate temporarily (about 1 year) from husband to take care of her. However, this is for me not a serious matter at all.
We had seen at least 3 psychologists , all of them diagnose she has a depression. However she refuses not to have any treatment for this.
She said that her depression happens from kidney disease, the only way to treat her depression is to recover from CKD only. Everyone knows it is rarely happens.
I understand that as now she is in shock stage, when times pass by she would be better and better. And I think recreations and activities can heal her mind rapidly than doing nothing, so i try to find. I agree that i can't have anyone do whatever i think without their agreement to do it theirselves .... but i hope i may find ones pulling her out from home which by chance correct to herself too.
She never had any pet, maybe she someday will have one. She doesn't love reading, she loves watching TV.
I deeply sympathy on her, wishing i can have someway helping her lively.
The suggestions i had raised but she all refused such as a painting course, a cooking course, a volunteer in nonprofit organization, go for a walk , feeds animals, seeing birds...

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »

Remember ESRD makes you extra tired.  I mean TIRED, so watching tv and doing Ipad stuff is probably what she is up to right now.  Be encouraging, but do not push.  Sometimes the depression gets worse when someone is pointing out everything they used to do and are not doing now.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Alex C.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

I work.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

give her some time if shes new to all of this. maybe lightly suggest an outing occasionally, something you know she loves to do, but dont push. and give her time. she may not feel well enough to do those things yet. until shes adjusted to everything.
half the time i dont feel well enough to do much. i take care of my son and boyfriend, help with keeping the house clean and food on the table.
i do arts and crafts and play online.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
CalamityEC

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

I spend time with my boyfriend.  Wednesday evenings I go out and listen to my friends play sets at a local bar's open mic.  I read, a lot (my goal in 2014 is to read 100 books). I talk to friends.  I run errands.  I do dialysis three mornings a week.  I'm just starting to get back to the point where I feel like volunteering wouldn't wear me completely out.

I am also a fan of video games, movies, TV shows, shopping, and keeping in touch with my friends.  I'm looking into taking a couple technology classes that I wasn't able to take as a grad student :)  I also write.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »