I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Life & death decision: Stockton man deciding to end health care
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life & death decision: Stockton man deciding to end health care  (Read 5393 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 04, 2014, 03:02:45 AM »

Life & death decision: Stockton man deciding to end health care

By Joe Goldeen
Record Staff Writer
May 04, 2014 12:00 AM

STOCKTON - Rev. Bennie Martin has reflected long and hard about his decision. He has come to the only conclusion that makes sense to him. By mid-June, he expects to be dead.

"It's a conscious decision based on natural facts and reality," said Martin, a 62-year-old Stockton resident.

"It's because of economics. I can't make ends meet. I don't want to be a burden on anyone. I just don't want to be alive dependent on people. I can't depend on people to do that month after month after month," he said.

Martin has Stage 5 kidney failure, also known as end stage renal disease. For four years, Martin has spent four hours and 15 minutes a day, three days a week undergoing kidney dialysis treatments to clean his blood. His kidney function is so poor that he cannot live without dialysis or a transplant, and he is not a good candidate for a transplant operation.

Martin has decided that after this month, he will stop his dialysis treatments.

"I have thought about it dearly. I've done some serious praying. I've consulted with my social worker and consulted with my doctor and talked with my family, and that is about it," he said.

"I am going to end my dialysis at the end of May and go to a more peaceful place," Martin said matter-of-factly.

Martin sought out The Record to share his story with the community of friends he has developed over three decades of social activism and church volunteerism since he moved to Stockton. He first gained attention through his pivotal role getting a major Stockton street - Charter Way - renamed in honor of slain civil rights leader Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

In 2012, Martin was the victim of a check fraud scheme that spiraled out of control. His story resonated with the community and some three dozen readers contacted the newspaper with offers of help.

"Things are going so bad with me now. By the middle of June, I will be deceased pending other complications," said Martin, who lives alone in a small north Stockton apartment with two finches for company. Framed photos of happier times with family members cover one wall.

"When you pay all your bills you have lights and phone, but no money to buy food. If I don't do the latter, I will have food but no oven to cook it on," he said.

Martin lives on about $830 in monthly Supplemental Security Income in a $685 apartment for which he is responsible for $213. His energy bill runs about $41; his cable, $84; car insurance, $48; regular co-payments for health care not covered by Medicare and Medi-Cal, $16.

But rather than seek help from a charity, the government or family - he has five siblings all living in his native Texas, most of them also struggling - the proud Martin is emphatic about not being a burden on anyone. He is forthright about past mistakes.

"I didn't save," Martin said. "I partied hardy and spent money like a wild man. I don't blame anybody but me. Because of all my screw-ups, I don't think anyone should help me. I did a whole lot. Alcohol. I smoked until 24.

"I'm a Christian and people have said God wouldn't be pleased with (my decision). I've prayed on it and I am satisfied with the decision. For me, it's the only one."

Martin was born in northeast Texas in the small town of Jefferson, the eighth of 10 children. Love brought him west to the East Bay and eventually Stockton more than 30 years ago. He married and divorced here but had no children.

At the age of 36, he had his first heart attack. Six years later, he suffered what he described as a "silent heart attack" for which he got no treatment. Another heart attack felled him while he was in Texas in 1998. Then came the attack in 2002.

"I had lost three sisters, my mother and my father. It weighed kind of heavy on me. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1998," he said, explaining that doctors told him he couldn't return to work.

Knowing that his demise is certain, Martin has been counseled that once he stops dialysis, he will still be able to urinate but without functioning kidneys his blood won't be cleaned and toxins will build up.

"I will begin to swell. I can spend my last days at hospice. My brother said it was akin to suicide, and it may be, but I'm just going to allow the dialysis to stop," he said. He added that one of his sisters is very angry with him for his decision, but no one has provided him with "the miracle" it would take for him to go on living.

"I'd be willing to listen to anybody if they want to convince me not to," said Martin, offering the opportunity for anyone to call him at (209) 808-3127.

One person who already reached out to Martin was Lori Hartwell, 48, a Southern California woman who has lived with kidney disease since age 2. She has survived more than 40 surgeries, 13 years of dialysis and now lives with her fourth kidney transplant. Hartwell founded the patient-led Renal Support Network in 1993 "to instill health, happiness and hope into the lives of fellow patients."

A self-described fighter all her life, Hartwell said, "I witnessed that a lot of people were losing hope. An illness is too demanding when we don't have hope. Hope is more important than anything, hope is what gets you out of bed in the morning, gives you the courage to go to dialysis, something to look forward to."

Knowing firsthand the toll that kidney disease takes on a person's life, Hartwell made an attempt to change Martin's mind. She arranged for an anonymous donor to provide him with $500. She talked to him about persuading the Emergency Food Bank and Family Services of Stockton to do what it can to set aside proper food for those with special dietary needs. She also suggested he get a part-time job to bring in a couple hundred dollars a month that wouldn't jeopardize his Social Security benefits.

She thought that kind of focus would give Martin a cause, something to hope for, something to live for. When she got off the phone with Martin, she believed she had helped him changed his mind.

Martin said Hartwell was very persuasive, and he appreciated her effort, but what she was offering, what she suggested he do, would just be temporary, he said. It didn't change his mind.

When informed of Martin's decision, an expert who deals with similar situations daily explained that considering whether to continue or stop life-sustaining dialysis is always a very emotional decision.

"It is often the family who calls us trying to make sense of it all and seeking more information. ... A lot of patients kind of carry in the back of their minds that stopping dialysis is an option and that gives them a sense of control," said Kelli Collins, director of patient services for the New York-based National Kidney Foundation.

Trying to make sense of Martin's decision can be difficult for those who haven't experienced what he has.

"I kind of compare it to people who have a traumatic accident and lose a limb. Some rebound, some don't want to live anymore. It is hard sometimes when what you define as quality of life isn't in line with what they believe," said Collins, a licensed independent clinical social worker. "Even the most rational decision may be very hard to accept. We do everything we can to keep loved ones alive."

Martin's decision, Collins said, is an option that she believes should be presented within an array of options.

"We are not promoting it necessarily, but it is a choice. It is that peace of mind that they have an option to stop dialysis if it is not working. It's how they want to live," Collins said.

Even with other options available and someone to talk with, Martin remains content with his decision.

"I'm at peace," he said. "I'm not afraid."

Contact reporter Joe Goldeen at (209) 546-8278 or jgoldeen@recordnet.com. Follow him at www.recordnet.com/goldeenblog and on Twitter @JoeGoldeen.

Resources

NKF Cares: The National Kidney Foundation offers a Patient Information Help Line in English and Spanish staffed by trained professionals to provide support for people affected by kidney disease, organ donation or transplantation. Phone (855) 653-2273 between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday; email nkfcares@kidney.org; or visit kidney.org.

Renal Support Network: The Glendale-based nonprofit, patient-focused, patient-run organization provides nonmedical services to those affected by chronic kidney disease. Phone (818) 543-0896 or (866) 903-1728; or visit RSNHope.org.

Rev. Bennie Martin can be reached at (209) 808-3127.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140504/A_NEWS/405040318/-1/A_LIFE

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:01:18 AM »

If I didnt have a son, I wouldnt do it either...
hes my reason for living this life. Its too hard... there are times even THAT doesnt stop me from wanting to end it. but I cant trust that anyone will raise him up right, and love him the way i do. Thats the only thing keeping me from saying "forget this, im done" (even though, i actually do say that more often than i care to admit, but eventually come to, and realize why i fight so hard to live... my son)

as far as this being suicide, ive thought a lot about it, and i dont really think it is... i mean, it would be a reasonable thought that you should have died long ago, if it werent for this machine keeping you alive... if it didnt exist you would be dead... so how is that suicide? its no different than chosing not to have a surgery, or taking a pill, that could save your life...

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 06:45:10 PM »

I totally understand the guy.  I had to laugh at his $84 cable bill. 

Hey... gotta love The Voice!!

kporter85db

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »

I totally understand the guy.  I had to laugh at his $84 cable bill. 

Hey... gotta love The Voice!!

I totally understand him too. Although I don't like his reason. And, yes, $84 is a bit extravagant to pay for something not at all necessary when you can't afford to eat.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »

i dont even have cable!
but i enjoy eating a bit too much :P

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »

He is only left with $283.00 a month, after expenses. Not a lot of money, but he should have enough to make it thru the month, especially if he utilizes food banks and such. I just hate to see him give up. And, personally, I believe stopping D is the same as committing suicide. ( Please, lets not make this thread and argument about that ). I think the man is seriously depressed and a little pill would help a lot.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »

I respect his decision, but I think the finances are just an excuse. He could give up cable and possibly the car. Things would still be tight, but he'd have enough to eat and pay his necessary utilities. If finances were the true reason, he'd probably take advantage of supplemental services to help him, too.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 07:30:27 AM »

Money does not by happiness, but it buys the things that one uses to pursue happiness.  Capturing happiness without economic resources is hard, very hard.  One study showed that happiness increases up to $75K in annual income, after which additional $$ doesn't buy much.

A lack of money detracts from the quality of life.    It's easy to say "don't give up" when you aren't the one living on a subsistence level.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:17:49 PM by Simon Dog » Logged
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »

How very True.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »

He could give up cable and possibly the car.
Right - no transportation; no entertainment at home - sort of like a prison cell without the guards or the homosexual rape.   No wonder he wants to end it.
goofball

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »

I just want to say... we're lucky that if we do want to end it, there is an "easy" way out.

That's not true for every disease.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

I just want to say... we're lucky that if we do want to end it, there is an "easy" way out.

That's not true for every disease.
Yup, and it's a nice card to have even when you are doing everything in you power to avoid having to play it.

I have already notified my dialysis team of my decision to end treatment - but, since I told them I'm doing it at age 85, nobody seems that concerned.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »