I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 06:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Building muscle while facing gym routine? + protein shakes, yay or nay?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building muscle while facing gym routine? + protein shakes, yay or nay?  (Read 3099 times)
CatonTheRoof

« on: December 05, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »

Hello my friends,

From July 2012 to September of that year I started for the first time in my life going to the gym properply, even lifting some weight as I do not carry dialysis solution during the day.     Then I stopped for many months, and resumed once again on September of this year.      In both occassions I have seen some progress concerning gaining some muscle, and now can lift heavier objects so I feel satisfied about this!  I have also seen positive changes in my shape.    Nonetheless, I would like to know if its possible to maximize this while being on dialysis?   What I mean is that for me is difficult to eat more proteins than the ones I already do.    For example I cannot eat eggs all days as this would cause me acid reflux,   same goes for other sources of protein.      However I've heard about protein shakes (those athletes consume)  and they seem at first sight positive.   What is your opinion about them?  are they a good option?      I consider important to clarify the fact that since I started dialysis I have kept my function of producing urine quite normally, I do not have a problem eliminating liquid and I value this as a treasure,   so I would only take the shakes if I know they won''t harm my kidneys!   

Has anyone of you tried them?
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:50:34 PM »

Some of those shakes are not renal friendly - for instance high in Potassium or sodium or phosphorus - but there are some good ones that are, and I think there are some Whey users on IHD. Whey can be used to make your own. Even if you are peeing, you may not be peeing the right things so I'd be sure to run your choice by your Doc. I've tried different ones and usually grow bored with them pretty quick.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
kporter85db

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:07 AM »

My nutritionist encourages me to use whey protein powder to boost my protein intake. I think my wife tries to sneak it in some recipes. Sometimes it alters the flavor too much and I don't like it.

You would need to make sure the one you choose is renal friendly.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:54:01 AM »

My wife uses Beneprotein for extra protein daily. We use 2 scoops to give 12 grams of whey protein. It seems to be helping her.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Dman73

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »

My nutritionist suggested Zone Perfect Chocolate Peanut Butter bars for a snack and added protein (14g). I usually have 1 per day and my labs haven't changed (K, P) and does not effect my fluid allowance.   

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
G.Lively

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

At age 65, I was a competitive powerlifter.  I still have three California records on the books.  I couldn't lift while on dialysis.  There was a catheter in my shoulder and too much movement meant dire straits.  If I had a fistula I would worry about bleeding.  What I was doing was all-out break you in half lifting.
My diet included some sort of whey protein everyday.  The nutritionist there was a no banana type and thought lifting was for animals, so I snarled.  I just didn't worry about the damn diet.  My wife did.  Gotta have protein.  Eat animals.

Once upon a time I got sick.  I got cancer, cancer, cancer, and cancer.  Then I had renal failure, dialysis, chronic bronchitis, pulmonary embolism, gall bladder attack, macular degeneration, and a whole bunch of stuff.  I'll show you my scars if you show me yours.

I am not on dialysis any longer.  I am one of the lucky ones to have survived that ordeal. So I left the forum thinking only those who are on dialysis should speak out.  However, the Head-Mama invited me back. I will discuss anything you wish.  You should expect some corny jokes from me along the way.

Gerald Lively
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »