I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 01:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  problems with skin after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: problems with skin after transplant  (Read 2909 times)
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« on: January 23, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »

Immediately after my transplant I started having problems with the thin skin areas slightly bleeding. like the inside of my nose. not a full nose bleed, but blood with mucus when blowing my nose. Also when I wipe my but the there will be little blood spots on the toilet paper.

anemia? anti-rejectionmeds? coincidence?
ToddB0130

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »

Have you brought all of these issues to your transplant team ?  Whenever I have issues following my transplant,  I let them know so they can research if they're not able to answer on their own.

I didn't experience either of these issues (I had some nasal congestion (dry nose) and they told me it was okay to use a nosespray if I felt I needed to.  I didn't use one though.

Good luck with your issues.  Let us know what your team says or recommends.

No day but today
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »

Are you on any sort of blood thinner?

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »

I am 90% certain than thin skin is a side effect of one of the anti-rejection meds, but I forget which just at the moment.

If you are still pretty new post-tx then these meds should be reduced over the next little while, and you may well find the skin issues improve with the lower doses.

I do definitely agree that you should bring this up as a concern with your tx team and perhaps your meds can be adjusted - and if it isn't the meds, then something else can be done.

good luck!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:46:14 AM »

Let your doctor know ASAP. Tacrolimus(prograf)  for example can cause thrombocytopenia (low platelets) which can cause bleeding.  There are all kinds of side effects from the anti rejection meds , especially if at too high aq dose. Let your doctors know so they can figure out what is going on before it can become serious.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »

Of course tell your coordinator. But she may tell you not to worry. I am on aspirin so if I pick a scab it bleeds for a long time. (Icky I know but at heart I'm that kid who loved to pick at scabs. At least I don't bite my nails anymore.) I do have problems sometimes that if I scratch my skin I will get some spots that start bleeding. I think that 15 years of Prednisone plus all the other stuff has made my skin less healthy.

The slightly bloody tissue is almost always with you. Saline nose spray is pretty cheap and safe to use often. It does help. Replace your bottle after an illness.
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »

Thanks every one. It's probably a little of everything. its been a horrible winter here so that could explain the nose problem. My sister bought me different toilet paper so it might be rougher than my normal stuff. I'm sure the anti-rejection, low platlets, and aspirin aren't helping. As of the last two days the problems seem to have gone away.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »