I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  APKD & ESRD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: APKD & ESRD  (Read 4389 times)
goofball

« on: September 06, 2013, 02:31:38 PM »

I was diagnosed with APKD when I was 16.  Now 47, I think my kidneys are shutting down.  I am seeing my nephro on the 24th.

All year I've been cold and tired, I thought it was my thyroid.  I saw my GP would after some test, concluded "anemia."  He's not too bright and didn't put together that the anemia might be a consequence of advanced APKD.

I urinate a lot, and it's very lightly colored.  My head feels fuzzy.

I'm not feeling too good.  I don't hate dialysis yet, but I can't say it looks appealing...

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Shaks24

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »

Welcome to IHD goofball   :welcomesign;
A lot of good information here. I hope your Neph can nail it down for you so you can determine the right course of action. Good luck and keep us posted.

Congestive heart failure 2011
Currently about 19% Kidney Function
September 11, 2013 PD Catheter and Fistula Surgery
September 27, 2013 Started PD
goofball

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

I will keep you posted.  I am afraid, and even though I am not alone, I feel alone taking this accursed road that is kidney failure.  At least here I'll have some company in my misery...

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Shaks24

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »

Absolutely my friend. I feel the same way but the fine folks on this site understand and give a lot of support and great advise. I am getting started on dialysis and it scares me too but we have to keep in mind that it will make us feel better and prevent us from even greater harm and hardship. We will be ok. First you need to nail down the source of your issues. Your neph will be able to do tests that show what is happening with a good degree of certainty. Has anyone tested your kidney function as of yet.

goofball

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 02:51:56 PM »

My kidney function hasn't been tested in a few years.  Is that the 24-hr urine test?  I'm seeing my GP on tuesday, I'm going to ask for it so that my nephro has the info when I see him on the 24th.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
goofball

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »

OH yes, I'm the only one in the family with APKD.  I'm a brand new mutant.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Shaks24

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

I am not an expert but there is a 24 hour urine test and there is also a blood test that measures your eGFR. The eGFR is your estimated kidney function. Between your lab results, your symptoms, your upcoming exam your neph should be able to get an idea of whats going on. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Is your blood pressure high?

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »

:welcomesign;

Welcome to the club no one wants to join.

You were diagnosed at 16, but it sounds like you haven't been followed by a neph all along? A neph would've known you were anemic and would've been checking your eGFR regularly. Were you trying to avoid knowing, or is your medical team lacking? I was diagnosed when I was 9 and by the time I was in my 20s GPs took one look at my labs and referred me to a neph, even though my eGFR was at about 90% back then. I moved a few times and had to change doctors several times and it was the same every time. GPs didn't want to touch anything to do with my kidneys. It sounds like your experience has been much different, where your GP was just ignoring your kidney function.

I hope you feel better soon! I just started dialysis this week and already hate it, but I think it'll be manageable.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
goofball

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »

My blood pressure is higher than normal for me lately, but I've been on ACE inhibitors since my diagnosis.  My nephro wanted to keep it on the low side.

I've been followed by the same nephrologist for 31 years.  I had frequent UTIs.  I usually get a yearly check up and since I thought my more pressing problem was my "thyroid" I chose to get checked by the GP instead of my nephro this year.  BAD CALL  :banghead;

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Angiepkd

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

Welcome goofball!  This is a great place to learn and share your experiences and frustrations.  I am 44 and also have PKD.  Not a new mutant, but another of many family members who have this disease.  I have been on dialysis since March, and do home hemo with NxStage.  So far it has been very manageable, but also time consuming.  Do you know if you can do PD?  I would've preferred that modality but my kidneys were too large and I had other abdominal surgeries that made it unlikely to work for me.  This past June I had both of my native kidneys removed.  They weighed 25 pounds together.  I feel much better, but the fluid restrictions are tough.  Hope you get some answers from the neph!  Keep us posted!  If it helps, I feel much better on D than I did in the months leading up to it!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »

:welcomesign; goofball!  My Blokey is a mutant too, as nobody else in his family suffers from kidney failure/disease and they have no idea what caused his issues!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
goofball

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:53:34 AM »

The mutants are still searching for their superpowers...

25 lbs of kidney OMG - that's a superpower for sure.  How don't know how large mine are but they cause me no bother other than some positional discomfort.  If I keep my giant kidneys does that mean I am spared the water restriction?

I did have a hysterectomy... not sure if that disqualifies for PD?

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Angiepkd

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

The mutants are still searching for their superpowers...

25 lbs of kidney OMG - that's a superpower for sure.  How don't know how large mine are but they cause me no bother other than some positional discomfort.  If I keep my giant kidneys does that mean I am spared the water restriction?

I still made quite a bit of urine prior to having my kidneys removed, and had very few fluid or food restrictions.  Since the removal, things are much harder.  I am glad I had the surgery, though.  I can breathe, eat and sleep better.  Just really have to watch what I drink, as it all must come off during dialysis.

I don't think a hysterectomy disqualifies you for PD.  I had a combination of things that made me unable to try it.  Radical hysterectomy, hernia repair, 2 c-sections and my giant native kidneys.  Too much going on in that abdominal area I guess.

Hope everything works out for you!  Keep us posted!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Sydnee

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »

Welcome nice to see you here.
I think that it's truly up to the individual surgeon and nephrologist whether someone "qualifies" for PD or not.  I officially start PD on the 16th. My surgeon and neph had no problem with my previous operations which were, 2 C-sections, 2 hernia repairs, a tubal, my gallbladder out and finally my left ovary + large dermoid cyst removed.
Now it could be that PD was "ok-ed" simply because my veins are so small.
I was diagnosed with PKD when I was 14 that was almost 25 years ago. I'll be starting PD before my 39th birthday.

Hope you find the info you want and the friendship/understanding you need. Fight for the type of Dialysis you want (not that anyone wants D). 

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
goofball

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

WOW guys, and I thought at 47 I was on the young side for the kidneys to go bust... I'm going to count my blessings here.

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
goofball

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

Back from MD.

Numbers
eGFR: 27
Creatinine 185

Blood pressure 135/88, too high for a kidney patient!

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »