I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:30:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I'm starting 5 days a week in center today.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm starting 5 days a week in center today.  (Read 3602 times)
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:09 AM »

A new clinic has opened in St Louis area, NXstage .  They are using the same units that home hemo people use.  We will see how it goes, I'm hoping that I feel better and less drained.  ::)  What a great way to spend my birthday.  :birthday;, do I know how to party or what.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »

I've never heard of NxStage In-Center 5 days a week.  I wonder what Medicare pays for that?

Let us know how things go.

:laugh:

Angiepkd

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:16 AM »

Hope the 5 day a week treatment makes you feel better!  I do NxStage at home and feel pretty good.  I didn't know they did NxStage in-center.  What a great option for people who can't do the treatments themselves.  Let us know how it goes!  Happy Birthday, too.   :birthday;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

1st day done, I can feel a difference yet :)  I will see how it goes after a few weeks.  It's a brand-new clinic, it is using the same machines as the home Hemo units from NXstage.  It take Medicare insurance so it is OK.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Diagnosed with ESRD
AV Fistula
Neuropathy
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

Not sure if the 5 days a week is working out right for me.  I'm not as whipped out and the neuropathy pain is not as much as 3 days a week, however my A1C levels have been creeping up (since going 5 vs. 3 days a week) and I have no time because I'm going Mon, Tues, Thru, Fri, & Sat. (3- 4 hours).  I'm seeing my Endocrinologist on Friday and ask his opinion of 5 vs. 3 days.  Just not sure what is best for me.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Diagnosed with ESRD
AV Fistula
Neuropathy
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:02:11 AM »

What kind of access do you have?  Fistula?  So my question is how your access handles being stuck 5 days a week?  Do you button holes?

:flower;

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »

Another option if you can do it at home is every other day conventional.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »

You could look into 4 day per week Nxstage. There a dosing calculater now that your nephro can use . If you fall in the range allowed, you can do just 4 days per week of dialysis. Talk to your neprologist about this and ask him or her to run the new dosing calculator with your stats and see if you can possibly cut down to 4 days and get the same amount of effective dialysis. It would probbaly be longer each treatment if it is doable for you.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »

I've never heard of NxStage In-Center 5 days a week.  I wonder what Medicare pays for that?
NxStage has a marketing program where patients can try out the NxStage machine in-center to get an idea what it is like before signing up for home hemo.  This is different from actually using NxStage as a regular in center system.

Perhaps this is what the original poster was dealing with.
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:51:13 AM »

Home is not an option for me.  The run time with NXstage machine doing 4 days a week would be 4:15 which is the same time I did doing 3 days a week.  I was told that they will be getting a new NXstage machine that has a fast flow rate, but until they get it I'm kinda stuck.  We are working on button holes, but only have one working well.  I hope the 4 day a week will be an option in the future, with the faster machine, but I'm just not sure which option is best for me.  I just hope I get the call soon for a transplant, so I can put these questions behind me, at least for sometime.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Diagnosed with ESRD
AV Fistula
Neuropathy
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »

Home is not an option for me.  The run time with NXstage machine doing 4 days a week would be 4:15 which is the same time I did doing 3 days a week.  I was told that they will be getting a new NXstage machine that has a fast flow rate, but until they get it I'm kinda stuck.  We are working on button holes, but only have one working well.  I hope the 4 day a week will be an option in the future, with the faster machine, but I'm just not sure which option is best for me.  I just hope I get the call soon for a transplant, so I can put these questions behind me, at least for sometime.
What dialysate volume were you looking at on NxStage and what flow fraction? You might be able to run less than 4.25 hours with a fast flow fraction depending on your dialysate volume. Dont forget you can run up to 12 liters per hour.dialysate now with the current machines. (200 ml/min)
If you post your perspective numbers that would help.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »