I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  I need help with reducing my potassium levels...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need help with reducing my potassium levels...  (Read 15560 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »

Personally I wouldn't consider cottage cheese as real cheese!!! That's something that comes in chunks!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:26:06 AM by Sugarlump » Logged

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

Pre-dialysis potassium still 6.8 this week so despite diet modifications it isn't reducing much...
having took out crisps and milk (except in tea) and high-value veg/salad items ...
Trouble is they increased my prednisolone (steriods) for my skin condition which of course, increases the appetite.
I seem t have developed that condition where I keep opening the fridge door and stare in... (JJust looking not eating!)  :rofl;  :rofl;  :rofl;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Restorer

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 12:44:37 AM »

How much tea are you drinking a day? I assume it can't be too much, given typical fluid restrictions (are you on any?), but tea has 80-100 mg of potassium per 8 oz. An ounce of milk adds another 40-50 mg.

How are you processing your potatoes? There's a study that shows that double-boiling potatoes removes as much potassium as presoaking with a change of water, then single-boiling. So that might save you time, to double-boil - use lots of water, put the potatoes in cold water, bring it to a full boil, then dump the water and replace with cold water, and bring back to a boil and cook until done. But emphasis on <b>thin slices</b> or grated potato. It won't take nearly as much out of cubes or chunks of potatoes.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 01:01:35 AM »

How much tea are you drinking a day? I assume it can't be too much, given typical fluid restrictions (are you on any?), but tea has 80-100 mg of potassium per 8 oz. An ounce of milk adds another 40-50 mg.

How are you processing your potatoes? There's a study that shows that double-boiling potatoes removes as much potassium as presoaking with a change of water, then single-boiling. So that might save you time, to double-boil - use lots of water, put the potatoes in cold water, bring it to a full boil, then dump the water and replace with cold water, and bring back to a boil and cook until done. But emphasis on <b>thin slices</b> or grated potato. It won't take nearly as much out of cubes or chunks of potatoes.
:shy;

Hi Restorer.
Tea probably 4 small cups a day (about 100ml a time)...with a little milk and a sweetener added. (Due to fluid restriction otherwise would be a lot more!)

Never tried double boiling potatoes... are they not going to fall apart?!!! which is ok for mash but we currently in New Potato season so using the sweet, baby ones.
I usually soak for as long as possible, then change water to cook. I usually slice bigger potatoes or just halve the baby ones...
Make a lot of potato salad with mayo for salad this time of year. I usually take a salad in a little container for dialysis lunch, three days a week, as my time is 1pm-4.30pm and i don't like to eat beforehand.

I am not a great fan of sandwiches so it's difficult to find portable food that is also low in potassium ...  that I can eat one handed on dialysis easily enough!!!
Sausages and cheese are good!!!

:beer1;

10 years of half a life
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »