I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 02:25:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sibling Relationships and Chronic Illness
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sibling Relationships and Chronic Illness  (Read 2859 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 24, 2006, 12:51:12 AM »

Jenna's godmother asked her "Do you think your brothers and sister sometimes get jealous of you?"
Jenna said "What?? Because I am sick? No, I don't think so!"
And the godmother said "I mean, because you get so much attention from your parents."
Jenna said "I don't think any of them want to change places with me!"
So that made me think. Then I saw a couple IHD gals in the chatroom that night, and they both
confirmed that their illness at a young age strained their relationships with siblings. And sometimes with parents.
So I asked my son (18) and daughter (16) if they ever felt jealous. They both said yes, early on, they just
did not understand what was going on, why their parents were suddenly unavailable. I never had a clue. It's hard
to see what they are going through when the sick kid need so much help.
Just wondering if others experienced the same thing.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 02:47:03 AM »

Yes, I guess my brothers were a bit jelous. But now that they are older they admit they don't EVER want to know what kidney failure is like. Infact my one brother is so scared that he won't even talk about kidney donation with me.

It affects everyone differently but as kids they may not realize the details and only notice the attention.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 02:47:42 PM »

I highly doubt my siblings are the least bit jealous of me.   :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 08:38:50 PM »

I got sick when I was 12, my brothers were 10,9, and 8.. they were jealous of all the attention i got and presnts and they said I got whatever I wanted. I remember when i got what I asked for from Make a Wish and I shared it with my brothers, they enjoyed that... even thouh I had to almost die to get it, lol. After they got older they understood the situation better and werent jealous, but when they were younger they were jealous, not of the being sick... but of the special attention i got. Its human natur i think, especially for kis when one child is getting more attention, for whatever reason.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
carolyn77531

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:52:47 AM »

i dont think the other kids got jelouse....they didnt understand.....becouse i had to make decisions...they didnt like....i had to go let them live with there dad for awhile....was a single parent back then...what im talking still a single parent....many guys dont like to get into this situation...they usaully run

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
AlasdairUK

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 05:45:58 AM »

I was 15 when I started dialysis and almost died a couple of times. I'm pretty sure, but have never actually asked my two older sisters of 2 and 5 years. I think they where more concerned about losing their brother than the fact I was getting any extra attention.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
shay_pcb

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 03:20:43 PM »

I'm pretty sure my sister has been jealous of all my medical problems my whole life. Well, not my medical problems, but the attention from them. She was always trying to outdo me in everything else, such as joining the army and when we would sing in the car with our mom, she would get louder and louder until you couldn't hear me at all. When I got my bloodclot and thyroid storm, she started acting out and rebelling to get attention. Now she's been kicked out of school her senior year, kicked out of my mom's house, and is about to get kicked out of the Army for not graduating high school. She has a job, but she just got it a few weeks ago and was an hour late already...She won't have that job for long either. Anyway, my point was that as my medical problems got worse, she got worse. I think it's bc she wants the attention. She's ruining her life though...I wish I could help her realize it... :(
bluedove57

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »

My family isn't jealous at all. I think they're glad it's me and not them. Older brother is a minister and said he wouldn't do dialysis cause he hates needles. He would rather die. My kids don't relize I'm sick because they say I look so good and couldn't tell I have a condition. I thank God for that and make up to ::).
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 07:56:47 PM »

Oddly enough people are jealous of me.  I have no idea why.  But, I've had them tell me so.   :urcrazy;

brenda

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure neither my brother or my sister are or ever were jealous in any way. They are just glad it isn't them.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »