I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:26:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Donor restrictions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Donor restrictions  (Read 2440 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: February 23, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong location to post this! Is there a site or anything that lists donor restrictions?

My younger sister offered to donate to me when the time comes, but it turns out she's probably an FSGS carrier. Her son is now spilling protein and that's how everything started for me.

My older sister offered to donate, too, but she's bipolar and a heavy smoker. Her bipolar disorder is well controlled, but I wouldn't want to do anything to trigger her and even if that didn't eliminate her as a donor, it seems like the heavy smoking might be an issue.

This all assumes either of them would even be a match. Since I don't yet need a transplant or dialysis, none of us have been tested for compatibility.

Deanne

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 06:29:19 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong location to post this! Is there a site or anything that lists donor restrictions?

My younger sister offered to donate to me when the time comes, but it turns out she's probably an FSGS carrier. Her son is now spilling protein and that's how everything started for me.

My older sister offered to donate, too, but she's bipolar and a heavy smoker. Her bipolar disorder is well controlled, but I wouldn't want to do anything to trigger her and even if that didn't eliminate her as a donor, it seems like the heavy smoking might be an issue.

This all assumes either of them would even be a match. Since I don't yet need a transplant or dialysis, none of us have been tested for compatibility.

Deanne

You picked the right place, but I'm sorry to hear about the possibility of your sister not being a donor. Hang in there, I pray you find another soon.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »

have you seen this?

http://www.livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney4.htm

Reasons I've heard for donors being turned down -  any heart condition, high blood pressure, excessive drinking.  I asked about mental disorders because most of my husband's family suffers from some form of anxiety disorder.  They said they would be evaled on a case by case basis, and accepted or rejected on how severe the condition really was.

I know that if the donor wants to back out after offering, the medical team will fabricate a medical reason for them, so that there are no hurt feelings.  I would think, if your sister wanted to donate, and you were hesitant because of her mental health issues, that the team would probably do the same in reverse - give her a reason why you weren't medically compatible, to spare her feelings when you turn her down.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 10:51:40 PM by jbeany » Logged

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:34:29 AM »

Thanks for the link and the suggestion for providing a medical reason my older sister couldn't donate!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »