I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 08:28:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cath hurts alot, but not infected. Please help!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cath hurts alot, but not infected. Please help!  (Read 1972 times)
kit78

« on: December 04, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »

My second cath was put in on August 22, 2012 and as of 3-4 weeks ago has become very painful at the insertion point.  It is NOT infected.  But when I turn over on my right side (same side as cath) it hurts so bad across my collar bone and into my shoulder.  I have told 3 doctors and some staff at hemo clinic but no one cares to look into it.  At hemo clinic it makes me jump when they just touch the area to clean it.  I hurt to plug in the vacuum, reach down for anything etc.  This is ridiculous!  Has anyone experienced this.  I feel like my collarbone is broken when I turn over.  Thanks for reading.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

Wow, and you have told your Neph?  I guess tell him again and be adamant!   Do you have a fistula that is maturing?

kit78

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 03:51:07 PM »

Yes. It was done in Sept. This month he has to move the vein up to the surface and then next month it will finally be useable.  This same surgeon said I could take this painful cath out and have another put in on the other side but that was it.  I just can not believe they haven't taken an x-ray or something.  I am wondering if it is scar tissue?

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »

I know the tissue grows into the cath cuff.  Maybe that is causing the pain.  I would not stop until I had some relief.  Ask if an x-ray would show anything. 

:pray;

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »

I can see that happening the first few days after a catheter has been put in but the time frame you described I'd demand an answer and have it checked out, that does not sound right, have you called the doctor that put it in? or your surgeons office?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:35:31 PM »

Every catheter I had in my chest hurt like hell and was miserable the entire time I had it in me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kit78

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »

Thanks for your answers everyone. Yes I am finally going for a x ray.  Amazing that the only person that is listening to me is my Neph's helper that comes into the D clinic.  She's there about twice a month so she really hooked me up today with a few tests.  Seems everyone really hates these caths.  It never bothered me until recently.  I did have to have it replaced due to a fibrous growth that gave me a lot of chest pain.  That even took weeks to get them to listen.  The only reason it got changed was because it was completely blocked by the growth.
I just changed all my doctors this past summer when I lost my transplant. Do I have to change em all again till someone will listen?  This is nuts!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »