I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 04:36:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Any experience with Neupogen?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any experience with Neupogen?  (Read 3697 times)
jeannea
Elite Member

« on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »

I just got a call from my transplant coordinator (got my second transplant this March) and she says my WBC is 1.4. I have an appt at 3 pm for an injection. I'm not happy.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »

Pshaw.  I had an absolute neutrophils count of 8 at one point.  I had two injections of neupogen and they fixed me right up.  I wasn't happy, either, but the injections solved the problem, and I was good to go.  I hope the same happens for you.  Let me know what happens, OK?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:31 AM »

I've been through this twice, once in March, and again in Sept. I had my tx one year ago today  :cheer:  Neupogen will cause pain in your bones . I was able to control mine with one dose of extra-strength tylenol. You will need to stay away from crowds and sick people until that wbc count comes back up. They also should temporarily discontinue one of your meds. For me, it was Myfortic. Each time I went through this, I had to have more than one Neupogen shot.

Keep us updated...

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »

I got the shots. They put my dose in 2 shots. My injection sites are a little sore. Thanks for the warning about pain. The paper they gave me said to call if I start coughing up blood. Lovely. They want me to repeat labs on Monday. I suspect I need to back off on CellCept a little. So I wait.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

I was told that some patients do experience bone pain because when you think about it, Neupogen acts directly upon the bone marrow.  If your bones hurt, it's an indication that the drug is working.  However, I was also told that since I was having just two shots (one shot a day for two days), I probably wouldn't feel that sort of discomfort.  And I didn't. 

My wbc shot up to 20,000, so I think we overdid it a bit.  I was probably toxic to all living things for a while there.   :rofl;

Like Karen, those shots DID hurt.  One left a bruise that took yonks to go away.

Good luck with your next set of labs!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
vcarmody

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »

My husbands was on his way home from the transplant clinic when he got a call saying his white count was still down (1.1).  We were leaving on a cruise in 3 days so they wanted him to get 3 injections of Neupogen before we left.  We turned around and they gave him one injection and gave him 2 to take home, he was instructed to inject himself daily, they warned him he may have some bone pain in his back or his sternum which he was worried about, but he had no side effects.  His white count is now normal, hope it stays that way. 

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:52:25 PM »

Update: i had the shots Fri. I felt just kind of all over crappy for the weekend. On Mon I had my bloodwork done. My WBC is up to 2.2. Yippee. I get another injection tomorrow. I guess I have 2 more days of feeling crappy. I hope this works soon.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

Update: i had the shots Fri. I felt just kind of all over crappy for the weekend. On Mon I had my bloodwork done. My WBC is up to 2.2. Yippee. I get another injection tomorrow. I guess I have 2 more days of feeling crappy. I hope this works soon.

I didn't experience that all over crappy feeling, but I can see how one might.  I was told that there was a possibility of needing a third injection, so I'm not terribly surprised that you need one more.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  When do you next have bloodwork done?

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:33 PM »

She told me to do bloodwork on Monday. I wish I knew what was causing it. I didn't have this problem with my first transplant. I'm on Prednisone 5 mg, Prograf 5 mg in morning 4 mg in evening, CellCept 750 mg bid, and Valcyte 900 mg. I would usually say CellCept but I wonder if the Valcyte is the problem. The problem is CMV colitis was a huge factor in the failure of my last transplant so they're being very cautious and I want them to. I actually have my regular appt in about 2 weeks at the transplant clinic. Maybe I can get answers then.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »

Jeanna, the anti-viral I took was acyclovir (Zovirax).  I don't know if it caused my neutropenia, but I was taken off of it when the neutropenia appeared.  Then again, I was taken off of several other things, too, like allopurinol (anti-gout).  They took me off of every med that wasn't absolutely necessary.  So, I don't know if your anti-viral (Valcyte) is "causing" your problem, and I can understand why you'd be hesitant to go off of it, but it could be the reason why your wbc is more difficult to elevate.

I'm glad you'll be at your clinic in two weeks time.  Please let us know what they have to say.  Also, let us know what your next labs show.  I'm really curious!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »