I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 01:47:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  30 Days of Thankfulness
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Days of Thankfulness  (Read 2191 times)
pagandialysis

« on: November 21, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »

I have been following along with this project since Nov. 2nd, I have just been keeping it in a private journal. Two years ago today, I was laying in a hospital bed in an empty two patient room. My fellow patient had just vomited blood and was rushed to the O.R., I never saw him again. It was well past visiting hours, so I laid there with nothing to do but think as the T.V. was broken. I anxiously awaited the next day, the day that I would have a kidney biopsy. At that time the doctors had no idea what was wrong with me. My blood pressure was at the edge of lethal levels, they spent almost a week trying to keep it in a normal range. I was to scared to go to sleep, every doctor I had seen had warned me about the critical situation I was in. I felt as though I would die if I went to sleep, and actually it was very well possible. The next day, Thanksgiving, I left the hospital and went to my grand-mother in-law's house. I tried to act happy, like I was fine, but it all felt fake, like I was sitting in another room watching people from a distance. For two years I have felt that way, watching life from outside through a window. The doctors call it disassociation and major depression. It's not as bad as it was, I seem to float in and out of it these days. But, back then, laying in that hospital all I could possibly think about was "I'm going to die and there's not a damn thing I can do about it." So today I am thankful to be alive. I know that may sound corny but once you get to that edge, when you brush death, when a doctor tells you "We aren't sure if we can get this under control" and then goes as far as to ask if you have a Will, then you will start to appreciate every day after that. It doesn't matter if its as my wife would put it "A Nasty, Horrible, No Good Day", it's still a day that you got to live through.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »

My older sister keeps celebrating the anniversary of her 29th birthday.  I just turned 42.  Hey, when you aren't sure you are going to get any more, you get happier to admit to them, don't you?  I also no longer have bad hair days since it fell out in the hospital.  It grew back; it's attached to my head and staying there now? Looks like a good hair day to me. 

I find plenty to be thankful for - and strive to remember them when I need them most.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »

I agree.  I guess as long as we are on this side of the grass it is a good day.  But, I have to say, the otherside looks good from here too.  I am thankful I have my faith.

:flower;

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »

I'm very, very happy to still be a live. Nearly 30 yrs after they told my parents I would probably have another 2,5 yrs left. I have never forgiven them for that. My mum went in a very deep depression. I've been very lucky to get out of that hospital, and then receiving my dad's kidney, for which I am and was very gratefull.  I've lost his kidney years ago, but now I'm happy to be on Nxstage. Lots of things still to do though.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rain

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »

I was suppose to die at birth.  I was 3 months premature and spent 2 months in the hospital.  Since Iwas 2 I spent it in and out of the hospital but my parents next treated me differently.   I am thankful that i grew up into a "normal" women of 29.  I am thankful I got to move out on my own at 18 to another city for university and experience life like a "normal" person.

I am thankful for the job I have and how i have succeeded in life.  I don't like dialysis hold me back.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »