I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 12:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  my fistula arm hurts and has slight edema
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my fistula arm hurts and has slight edema  (Read 1528 times)
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« on: November 13, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »

I called the doctor this morning.
Background:
I have been feeling weak lately, and tired.  Running around a lot, working in the garden and on the house.

So, this past Saturday I was planting bulbs for spring, and lifted a bag of garden soil with my fistula arm.  It was heavier than expected, and hurt a bit.... but I thought to myself, "My doctor said not to baby the fistula arm, and I can't be accused of that."

Online I read not to lift with it, but my doctors said that's just right after surgery.

a few times, I have worn shirts that caused pain and restricted the arm.  I changed the tightest ones.

I try to lay on my fistula side, but stretch my arm out.  Sometimes I find that I'm laying on the arm when I wake up. 

Now:
anyway, my shoulder hurt yesterday, and then my chest, so I figured it was from the strain when I  lifted the bag.  My inner elbow hurt, too, which it has been doing on and off.  I've also been thinking my hand loses circulation easily, but it's also getting cold, so...

last night, I slept at 9pm and got up at 1:40 am cause we are having people over and I needed to prep house.  I had only gotten three hours sleep the night before, so when i got home, I  did at few necessary chores and  went up  to bed.  My husband woke me before two, I  meant to getup at three, so I took a nap on the couch. I then woke up feeling my arm sort of throbbing, and my hand looked swollen a bit, but it went away quickly. I had been laying on my arm.

The shoulder and elbow are achy, and I have nerve lai. By my write and in my upper arm.  I did my house cleaning, and as I was washing dishes, noticed my hand and forearm looked a bit like they had extra fluid.  The skin is tighter and holds a shape when pinched longer than my other arm, so I'm sure there's mild edema.  I had to call the on-call doc cause it was 7am.  I just got an ultrasound the other day and was told I wouldn't really need to see the access people as much now.  So I'm at work just waiting for another call from the docs.  They said come in to ER if it gets worse.  Color is ok, not as good as right hand.  Some numbness and tingling, not bad.  Thrill is ok, but not quite as strong as usual.  Not bad, though.

so has anyone else had this? 

sorry so long, took my ADHD meds early and they have way worn off.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »

Momo  - you need to slow down a bit.  All this cleaning and such is wearing you out and on top of that, your kidney issues aren't helping your energy and well feeling a bit.  SLOW down girl.  You remind me of my wife.  If we were to have a mail or house cleaner come in, my wife would clean the house (top to bottom) so the person won't think we had a dirty house.    :rofl;   Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »

That and the money is why I don't want a house cleaner.  I don't want anyone to see my mess!   :rofl;

you're right, grumpy.  Some of it is my husband volunteering our house  for get-togethers, but also I can't leave well enough alone, and don't dance, things even when my schedule changes and I need more time. 
 My problems are about 77% my own darn fault.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »