I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 07:48:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Unable to urinate, infection or normal?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unable to urinate, infection or normal?  (Read 4597 times)
kiddogal

« on: November 25, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »

Hi, my husband started kidney dialysis last April.  He has been able to urinate about 2-3 times per day since he went on dialysis.  For the last 10 days or so, he has been having trouble urinating.  He says he gets the "feeling of needing to urinate" but it does not happen or just very little urination.  We know it is possible that at some point he may not urinate any longer.  My husband has been on anitibiotics for another issue for almost two weeks, so I am thinking that if he did have an infection, the anitibiotics would have taken care of it.  My question is when a dialysis patient starts to cease to urinate, do they get the feeling of needing to urinate but don't? 
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:57:15 PM by noahvale » Logged
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »

I actually do deal with this situation from time to time. Although my situation is different. I stopped being able to urinate when they had to remove my transplanted kidney due to failure.  Every now & then from time to time I still get the urge to urinate even though I cant & when I was pregnant a few years back, then I really noticed that feeling. 

I look on the positive side... at least I don't have to use public restrooms anymore, haha  :2thumbsup;
Good Luck & God Bless!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
kiddogal

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 04:44:53 PM »

Thanks....at the moment he does not have the sensation of needing to urinate....I think it might be just his urination is slowing down or stopping.   :'(  I suppose if that is the case, we will really have to start watching what he eats and drinks.  We have been very fortunate since he went on dialysis.  He watches what he eats and drinks for the most part, all his labs have been good, but I think he will still need to make some food changes to come, as I know he does not always watch what he eats....
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »

it's been 4 or 5 years now since I was able to urinate, and I still have that feeling about needing to go.  You get used to it after a while, and learn to ignore it.  What will be fun, is learning not to ignore it when you get a kidney, or learning how to hold it again, until you can get to the bathroom.  I did that as a 14 year old.  It's a mortifying experience at that age, or any age, I guess, to not know you've peed yourself until you feel the wetness..

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »