I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 12:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How long till they start using my access?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How long till they start using my access?  (Read 3595 times)
MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« on: October 06, 2012, 05:05:18 AM »

I just received my access this past week, and was wondering how  much time would pass before they would start  using it instead of my permacath? Also, how can I tell if I  got a fistula or a graft? Finally, when can I expect to have my permacath removed?
 :sos;

Father and Brother on dialysis, both deceased
Started Hemodialysis Jul 8, 2012
AV Fistula installed Oct 2, 2012
chinksnicky

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:25:55 AM »

I think it took mine about a month to "mature",then they give you one needle a couple times ,then two small,working up to 15 guage in three sizes.As soon as they are certain it's working good they remove the cath.At least that's how my center does it.Getting used to the needles really sucks but they hurt less and less as you get used to it,and it really is better than that cath,Didn't they tell you what you got?I'm not sure about that,never had a graft,if nothing else call the vascular surgeon who did the procedure.Good luck       Nick
Alex C.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:29:46 AM »

You REALLY don't know whether you got a fistula or a graft? Did you ask the surgeon ANYTHING at all???

Seriously, you can tell a fistula from a graft at a distance of probably 50 feet.
frankswife

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »

Frank had his fistula done April 30 and it's still not ready to use. He got a cath 3 weeks ago and they've been using that. They are trying to nudge the fistula along by using one needle in it, but it probably only works one time out of three. It's been VERY frustrating.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
bevvy5

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:46 AM »

I really would suggest that you ask what you have.  If you have a fistula, you should be exercising by squeezing a rubber ball to help it along.  That won't do anything with a graft, from what I understand.

Please don't take this as criticism but hopefully finding out about your access will be the first step on the road of educating yourself about treatment.  You have a far bertter chance of staying much healthier if you "take the bull by the horns" and become proactive rather than sort of being along for the ride. It's your body, get to know it and it will last a lot longer for you.

Take care.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »

how soon you can use it depends on whether it is a graft or a fistula.as others have said, educate yourself ever step of he way before you have any thing done.  that way you can arm yourself with questions and  get answers to them before you have anything done.  be your own advocate and don't be a passive participant in your care and treatment.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »

A fistula is your natural vessels formed to be an access.  The graft is where they put an "artificial" tube in your vein.
They used Johns fistula about a week I believe. His fistula works great to this day.

Please learn as much as you can about this disease.  Knowledge is powerful stuff.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 01:24:43 AM »

Thanks to everyone for assisting me in my quest to learn more about being on dialysis. I didn't mean to come off as completely ignorant regarding such matters, but I thought there were no such things as stupid questions. Obviously, I was wrong.  Things are scary enough without having to be put in my place for seeking help from people in the know.  I thought it would be best to go directly to "the source".  I also don't think any of us truly wants to be anywhere near dialysis, but here we are just the same. I truly appreciate your kindnesses and support. :oops;

Traveller1947

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 02:43:07 AM »

It definitely wasn't a stupid question, MD.  I have graft that is a piece of tubing about 12 inches long that is bent into a U shape.  It's called a loop graft.  One side is venous and the other, arterial.  A graft can be used almost right away, but better wait a month or so for good healing first.  If you have a graft, you can feel that long tubing under the skin. 
A fistula starts out much smaller and is built up and made able to be used by exercising it, squeezing a rubber ball to increase blood flow until it is mature.  This can take quite a bit longer.  Most people get a fistula these days.   All the best to you.
bevvy5

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »

I truly apologize if my reply came across as unhelpful.  I've never actually seen a graft so good you good a proper description of it from another poster. 

I really would encourage you though, as I wrote in my original post that if you have a fistula, it will mature faster and better if you exercise it.  At least that's what hubby was told when he got his.

Hopefully things will progress so you can get rid of your permcath sooner than later.  I cannulate my husband's fistula and although it can be a bit frustrating on certain nights, it beats worrying about clotting in a permcath - which was a regular occurrence for him - hands down. 

Again, no experience with a graft so I don't know what the pros and cons of those are.

MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:41:39 AM »

Not to worry, Bevvy, I understand perfectly.  And I'm one step ahead of you already with the squeezy toys.  I carry one with me everywhere I go.  At the rate I'm going, I will have hands the size of the Hulk by the time They start using my fistula (It's Official now ... FISTULA) :yahoo;

bevvy5

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 12:20:58 AM »

That is the gold standard for access, as I understand it.  And hopefully wherever you are going, if you're not training for home hemo will establish some buttonholes for you so you can self canulate (or have a permanent partner do it for you). 

Keep working at it - I look forward to your posts about your progress.

Bev

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »

MD, please except my apologies, if I said something negative.  That is not my intent at all!

Again my sincere apology,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »

lmunchkin -
nothing to apologize for, and thanks for your input  :bestwishes;

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:41:36 AM »

MD

I don't think anyone here would deliberately try to put you down for not know the difference between a fistula and graft.  BUT as been said - You need to ask questions of everyone that is taking care of you.  The Drs, the nurses, the techs at the clinic.  Ask them "what are you doing" and why.  I'm the type of guy that didn't ask questions from the Dr, just figured they knew the right things.   Not now, I not only ask questions, I just in with my 2 cents worth of my opinions.  And also, hang around here long enough you get an education on Dialysis and the ups/downs ins/outs and everything else.   BUT take charge of your care, your health  it is your life and you need to be in control.  Grumpy

MDLoon

My Brain Hurts!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »

Grumpy,
REST ASSURED I am taking control!  I have started making a pest of myself, asking al sorts of questions and looking for the elusive answers.  My latest quest is to find out why my BP was recorded as 200/102 on Friday, YET NO ONE SAID A THING!
No more backseats for me.....
MDLoon

Grumpy-1

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19:47 AM »

Good for you !!!!!!! :clap;    I figured out the hard way too about not knowing what is going on with my body.  Now I don't have any issues with asking questions and wanting to know why they are doing this or that.  Continue to be a pain in their butts, While they might not know it, it is part of their job to explain things.  Don't be afraid of the Dr either.  I have some that I don't like - (more for their bedside manners) and a couple that I really like and don't have any issues in discussing what I'm feeling and my idea of why I'm feeling like that or things like can we change up some meds for this or that reason.  You need to do the same - you know or will get to know your body and when it isn't feeling right or when it is.  Don't let Dr or nurses tell you what you are feeling.  Some think they know how you should feel - but we are all different, drugs work differently on each of us, our pain is ours alone.   While we all share the common problem of kidney failure, we are all different in our pains, our moods, our ups/downs etc.  We share our feelings with others here for support and knowledge, but we are all different.   Grumpy

Leanne

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:32 AM »

I see where one persons fistula was usable in a week.  Mine took ten for it to mature.  Fistulas are different for each of us.  Its our vessels and they have to grow.  Oh and if you get one mapping is a good idea.  It lets them know the best place so less cutting.  And be sure to exercise it to encourage it to grow.  Feel it often too to make sure its working.  It should buzz.  Docs call it a trill or thrill.  If that stops call the doc right away! Good luck with everything :)

Leanne

I am more than a patient.  I am a mama, friend, wife, sister, and most of all a person.

41 years old, hemo since November 2011, trained for PD and tried numerous times.  PD did not work for me , it was a nightmare :(
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »