I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 07:18:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  What a month! Info on Hawaii travel
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What a month! Info on Hawaii travel  (Read 3204 times)
jshabanian

« on: October 08, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

Well a lot has happened in the past couple of weeks.  First of all we went to Maui.  I had my  NX stage supplies shipped there by a frieght company for $200.  They delivered directly to hotel.  So that part of trip went well.  During the plane ride there I started to feel sick.  My back started hurting real bad.  By that night I knew I needed to see a doctor.  After 2 days in the hospital it was determined that I had strep infection in my blood.

My hip and foot hurt so badly that I had to be in a wheelchair.  So much for snorkeling or boogie boarding.  I basically dosed up on Vicodin and sat in the car.  I did gt to go to a luau which was great.  My poor husband  had to push me around and alter all our trip plans.

When I got home I was put back in the hospital for 4 days.  Sent home on IV antibiotics?  Still not walking.

Now here is the good part.....I get "the" call There is a kidney for me!   But I can't take it because I am on antibiotics.

So, the perfect ending to a dream vacation.  Sorry to sound defeated but that is how I feel right now.

If any of you want more details about travel to Hawaii please just ask.  Even though my trip didn't work out the dialysis part of it went well.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:22 PM »

dang

Was it a staph infection?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »

??? NO!!! that's terrible! I love maui, haven't been there for 20 years but would love to go again. I am so sorry it turned out that way.
AND on top of that to get "the call!" Wow, I sure hope your luck improves, this infection is gone and you're walking, ready for the next call. {{{HUGS!!}}}

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jshabanian

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »

No it was not staph...strep.

jshabanian

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »

Okarol...go to Maui if you can!   Now is the time to live!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »

W@W!!  It's amazing what we people go through :(  What a trip!  and what a disapointment on the kidney.  What it seems though is that once you get 'a' call, they keep comming.  Hope this is your case and you'll soon be on the transplant part of this site ;)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
jshabanian

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:46:41 AM »

Ooh!  I hope you are right bios wife.

That is what my husband thinks.i Aldo have a friend who is at the poointof cross matching with me but it is on hold until I finish my course of antibiotics.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:18 PM »

Congrats on getting a call!  I know you are disappointed, but the truth is that just because you got a call doesn't mean that THAT kidney would be right for you.  How many times have we read posts from other IHD members who have received a call, only to get to the hospital to find that there was a positive crossmatch at the last minute or some such thing.  I know of one man who was actually on the table with the surgeon having just drawn with a marker where the incision was going to be, only to have a final look at the kidney and detect cancer.  Can you believe that?

This could have been a blessing in disguise.  I don't usually partake in the "this happens for a reason" mindset, but when it comes to calls for a kidney, I really do believe that.

I hope your next call comes very soon.  Then you can go back to Maui without the heavy machinery!  You can go back and do some hardcore celebrating!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »