I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  OOOOOH SUNBURN OUCH !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OOOOOH SUNBURN OUCH !  (Read 4846 times)
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« on: January 18, 2007, 04:34:24 AM »

Had a two day break from dialysis (Not usual for me) and went down to Warrnambool in Victoria, Australia it is right on the coast and had some great weather. Had so much fun in the sun today even with heaps of sunscreen, am now sitting at home in Melbourne shivering and the color of beetroot at the moment.

My worst sunburn experience was when I was about ten, had my hair in pigtails ( I hope this is known worldwide otherwise  i've got some explaining to do LOL) with a split down the middle. I was canoeing all day, who thinks about those bits until their burnt? Anyway I came out in huge blisters in my scalp.

Also another time i had a Tshirt on that was loose around the neck and ended up with a blister the size of a golf ball on my shoulder, I was impersonating Quasimodo there for a while. Gee that was fun when it burst.NOT.

So whats the worst sunburn experience you have had?

EDITED: Moved thread to Proper Topic - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:02:52 AM by sluff » Logged

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:35:49 AM »

Sorry stuffed up mods, could this please be moved to off topic, I will slap myself now and bash my head now :banghead;

nextnoel

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:39:11 AM »

I'm an oldtimer, very fair-skinned, and born before sunscreen, and when I was a kid, I used to get sunburns on the back of my neck from riding in the backseat of the car on vacations!  I also got some bad ones on the tops of my feet a few times.  I got lots of sunburns on my face growing up, and as an adult, I had lots of skin cancers removed as a result.  You know how people get nostalgic when they smell things that remind them of their childhood?  Well, for me, that smell is Noxzema and Witch Hazel, the only things that ever helped the pain of my sunburns! :-[

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »

When we were teenagers, my sister took her pasty white, overworked body out to the lake with a friend who didn't have a job for the summer.  They both covered themselves in baby oil, laid down on the raft and fell asleep.  Her brown as berry friend didn't have any problems.  My sister ended up with massive, softball sized blisters all over her back and legs.  Even the bottoms of her feet burned.  I learned from her mistakes, and haven't attempted to lay out since.  I use sunblock everyday, even in the winter.  Skin cancer runs in the family, so it was a good lesson to learn at her expense.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:41:48 AM »

Well i am very tired of our Aussie sun!! and totally understand how u feel Tamara,  my worst sun burn experience would be TODAY!! I fell asleep in the sun today while sun tanning and i am now paying the price for it. I can not lay on back because my butt, back , and legs are the colour of a tomato!!  :banghead; it will be a very long night tonight!!! argh!
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 03:52:09 AM »

Well i am very tired of our Aussie sun!! and totally understand how u feel Tamara, my worst sun burn experience would be TODAY!! I fell asleep in the sun today while sun tanning and i am now paying the price for it. I can not lay on back because my butt, back , and legs are the colour of a tomato!! :banghead; it will be a very long night tonight!!! argh!

Amanda, I hear you girl!

I'm suffering much the same as you, butt, back, legs,shoulders. Will we ever learn? LOL

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:07:51 AM »

I am suppose to be going swimming again tomorrow.... the answer is no!! :D

Also some good advice for sun burn, the gel from the aloe Vera plant, it seems to be helping now!
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:59:25 AM »

I am suppose to be going swimming again tomorrow.... the answer is no!! :D

Also some good advice for sun burn, the gel from the aloe Vera plant, it seems to be helping now!

Yeah, you can even my sprays now, but I still think squeezing the stuff out of the plant is better.

mallory

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:07 AM »

Aaaahhhhh, I love hearing you Aussie people talk about sunshine!  I really do feel bad that you're getting sunburned, but I sure do like the thought of warm, lovely weather! 

Be careful, wear your sunscreen and keep posting about how hot it is!   :2thumbsup;

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »

Yes the weather is beautiful when its warm!! but due to global warming and the hole in the ozone layer the Suns ray is much hotter then it use to be in Australia!!
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:57:04 PM »

Its gonna be 40 here today We are off camping to the river but I'll make sure i have sunscreen and hat on as i think i will be just sitting in the river all day . Can't wait .hope the sunburnt is feeling better  Tamara and Amanda  :2thumbsup;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
tamara
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »

Yeah just feel it when I try to put my bra on, so there is only one answer for that, Bra is off LOL

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »

Dab the burn with plain white vinegar.  It stinks and stings a bit, but you won't peel.

Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »

Thanks i will try it once i get off dialysis!!  :thumbup;
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »

Yeah just feel it when I try to put my bra on, so there is only one answer for that, Bra is off LOL

*gulp*  ::)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »

Sunburn? sunburn? bah , its cold and i mean cold , raining and miserable here ! Any chance you could bottle some of that sun and send it here !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 12:58:20 PM »

Dab the burn with plain white vinegar.  It stinks and stings a bit, but you won't peel.

to heck with dabbing. sit outside or in the bathtub and have someone pour it over you right from a very large jug. it really works, cools you off and helps with blisters, and peeling. (us redheads know all sorts of nifty little tricks)

but i do think I've got everybody beat. when i get too much sun, doesn't even have to be a bad burn, i break out in extremely itchy little bumps.!!!!!!!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »

Supposed to get 12" of snow this weekend here.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 03:35:42 PM »

Supposed to get 12" of snow this weekend here.

From what i am hearing, we are supposed to get some storms of rain over here,  sheeit, i hope so, i have been doing the riverdance over here for weeks hoping for rain  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 03:58:26 PM »

funny, i cant remember ever having a sunburn.  i played outside as much as my sisters growing up.  they always got a sunburn but i never did.  dont know why....but now i cant stand the heat.  i never go outside in the summer unless i get into a pool or have to go do something important.  i like to be bundled up in layers of clothes and a jacket.  im so sad right now winter is pretty much over.  :'(

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2007, 06:36:49 AM »

More chance of a frostburn here now than a sun burn!!I am blond and very fair skinned and burn very easily.  It is the middle of winter here now with the temp nighttime any where from -10 to -20 celcius most every night.  I would appreciate a sunburn or a mosquito bite right now.  Hubby tells people he would pay $20 for a fly  bite right now. We don't usually see summer weather until June.  It will warm up in the next couple of months but that is when we usually get some fog and rain.  We do have beautiful weather here though (on times).  I will post some pics later on of some of our great weather.  The snow does look pretty but it is the cold that I don't like.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »