I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 08:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Is this normal, fellow PD patients?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this normal, fellow PD patients?  (Read 2985 times)
Annig83

« on: July 25, 2012, 10:40:09 PM »

Okay, so you know the little cusp that holds the catheter in place... it's like directly under the catheter exit site?  I already asked my doctor about this, and he didn't seem too concerned, but I'm very uncomfortable still.  If I push, lean, or my son crawls over me, I get pain just in that spot where the cusp is... there's no redness, no fever, some oozing...but it like scabs over *I use Gentamicin antibiotic cream everyday* I also have some fibrin in the tubing, but nothing massive...just the normal for me.  I've been using Heparin 1-2 weekly to get rid of it.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I had pain a few weeks after initially getting the catheter in and the cusp was bothering me then... but it's now well over a year...why is this still bothering me?  Should I get a second opinion?? Could it be the start of perotinitis?  I've never had it... would I already be feeling pain everywhere? 

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »

Annie

It's unlikely to be the start of peritonitis.  Peritonitis hits you with a bang!

I never had any discomfort with mine.  I use an antibiotic ointment too, but I have been told to only use it for five days in a row each month (or if it starts looking red) so that any bugs are less likely to work up a resistance.

I don't remember any oozing though.  Our renal unit works on the theory that if anything can ooze out, infection can get in.  Maybe a second opinion would be wise.

Good luck
Restorer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »

It may be just at the edge of your skin, and starting to extrude. I had a partially extruded cuff for over a year, until it finally worked its way all the out ("fully extruded"). While it's partially extruded, it's at a greater risk for exit site infections. Ask your PD nurse and nephrologist how to keep it as clean as possible. I washed it well in the shower, then scrubbed the cuff with hydrogen peroxide (to break up any gunk stuck in it) and Betadine (to keep it sanitary), and I kept the exit site and cuff covered with a dressing and sometimes gentamicin cream.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:44:04 AM »

I haven't had that exact issue, but I do get occasional redness around my exit site. I would think if you are having oozing from the site, you may have a mild infection. If your Neph and PD team think it's ok, I'd look for a second opinion.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:04 AM »

Don't worry about the crusting as long as it is red or sore, leaking serous fluid or pus.  If your doctor can't answer this for you ask ( and there is a strong likelihood that he doesn't know the answer),   for a referral to a vascular surgeon ( they are the ones who put in PD caths. For their opinion.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:28:41 AM »

Anne

It's unlikely to be the start of peritonitis.  Peritonitis starts down inside your stomach area, not at the exit site.   For the oozing - you do need to have that checked out.  It could be the start of an infection.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Willis

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »

After a year and a half, I often have small scabs around my exit site and occasionally a little blood but I've never had an infection. The built-up "cusp" of skin around the cath still gets irritated and if scabs form they will "stick" me a bit and that hurts sort of like a needle stick. In my case I exercise hard at least 3 times per week and I think that causes a bit of strain on the cath. In all cases though, even when exercising, I always tuck my cath into a Stickman belt rather than use tape (which causes severe rashes). I also get a bit of reaction if the tubing touches my skin and I get a small welt that itches like crazy so I try to move it around a bit.

Here: I can't imagine not having these... Stickman Belt:2thumbsup;

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »

Willis, you ate right.  I have described what you see when there is a problem and where there isn't.  I am not saying that you shouldn't run it by your nurse, but a little crusting  does  not mean the start of an infection.  If it is oozing, red, puffy sore - be concerned.  Otherwise, clean it as you are and you will be fine.  I didn't even apply anything to mi e, I just used soap and water when showering and then made sure that I dried it well.  I was on PD for a total of nine and a half years and never had an exit site infection but a little crusting was very common so what I am saying comes from a lot of experience of dealing with a PD catheter.  Be vigilant, but don't over angst about crusting.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Annig83

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:42 AM »

Thanks guys!!  Like I said, no fever, or reddness.  I think it's possibly what Restorer has mentioned with the extruding.  I see a small section of pink skin (almost looks a bit like a hernia) near the exit site.  I've had so many belly surgeries too.  Willis mentioned the scabbing too.  I guess it's more of the scabbing over than the oozing.  I will ask my nurse and see what she thinks.   :thx;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:27:41 AM »

I'm with Willis on the Stickman belt! I use mine all the time.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »