I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 10:21:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  trip to uganda???
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: trip to uganda???  (Read 2743 times)
lou

« on: July 17, 2012, 09:11:45 AM »

Hello everyone, hope you are all well. I was just hoping to get some opinions on this. I started teaching in a special school in April and today in our staff meeting they were talking about the opportunity for one teacher to go over to a school in Uganda next April. They didn't go into much detail but I'm guessing its just for a week or two where you would spend some time in a special school over there. There didn't seem to be much interest and to be honest if i didn't have kidney/health worries i would have shouted out my interest straight away! In my early 20s i spent a summer volunteering in an orphanage in Bulgaria and I would always jump at the chance to see a different country and explore a new culture. Instead, I stayed quiet, worrying about vaccinations and whether it would be a sensible thing to do.

I have just gotten home from school and am typing this now. I haven't mentioned it to my boyf yet. Thought about calling my mum and asking her opinion but she will prob try and scare me off (in the nicest way but she worries!)

What do you think? Its been 2 and a half years since my transplant and (fingers crossed!) all is still going really well.

Has anyone else traveled to Africa since their transplant? Would i need loads of vaccinations? I guess i will ask my doctor at next clinic.

I would love any of your opinions on this.

Thanks for reading!  :thx;

Lou x x x
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »

My transplant center discourages travel to any place that doesnot have a reputable transplant program in case you need care. That means pretty much USA, Canada, western Europe, Australia, Japan. Maybe a couple others. Definitely ask your doc. Of course they can't stop you from going.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

What would rule this out for me is that I was advised NOT to travel to places requiring vaccinations. They could stimulate activity in the immune system which would be contraindicated with our meds that work to suppress it.  In addition,  the usual host of parasites and other health issues in Africa and other 3rd world countries that can make "normal" people very ill could kill us with our compromised immune systems.

I would absolutely NOT take this risk...not worth it.  I will add that I'm a very adventurous person who has traveled throughout India, Asia etc. so I can absolutely understand your interest in this opportunity, but that was then, this is now and my responsibility to this transplant gift far outweighs anything that adventure of this sort could add to my life.

I started doing whitewater canoeing as a way to satisfy my need for experiences that not everyone is willing to go through.  I did 11 trips in total including one 350 mile stretch of the Hood river in the Arctic.  Lou, you can find worthy experiences that pose less risk to your transplant.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »

I would be gone in a flash. In fact, I almost went on a trip to Botswana for a job I was doing less than a year after my transplant. My doctor thought it was fine, but I was on very low immunosuppressant doses by then and my surgeon is mellow.

I have been to Africa twice, once to South Africa and once to Mauritius and Zimbabwe. Have you had your Hep vaccinations? That's a big one. Also, is it malaria season? You would need to take a prophylactic daily in any case, and the one that everyone recommends is the antibiotic (Doxicyclin I think). I would be exceedingly wary of any other malaria drugs offered as I took Lariam and it took me well over a year to get over my extreme suicidal ideation. (Lariam may be banned by now, and if it's not, it should be. US soldiers were known to become suicidal or homocidal on that drug.)

Aside from Hep A&B I'm not sure I had to have other vaccinations. I had a creatinine spike right before I went to SA and the doctor advised me not to go, but I just loaded up with medical insurance and went for it. The right policy will pay for you to be airlifted wherever you need to go. Make sure you take enough meds along to get you through the entire trip and a bit more.

I can understand the hesitation. Tough choice!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
lou

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies, to be honest that was kind of what I thought you might say!  :(

That's really interesting jeannea, I was never told that but will def ask next time.

Thanks for replying monrein, I know what a traveller you are and so if you say no that really makes me think no!! I would NEVER want to do anything to jeopardise my kidney so maybe this one is a no go.

Cariad - thanks for your advise too. Wow Lariam sounds pretty scary! That's brilliant that you did it and I guess you're right about the travel insurance.

Well it was just a thought and although I feel slightly gutted I cant just go for it like I could of done before all this I know that's a tiny price to pay and I do remind myself everyday how lucky I really am. And you are right monrein there will be lots of other great opportunities out there I am sure which aren't so risky.

Thanks again all of you, I am off to bed now!

Lou x x

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »

So I have a question....my new job provides the opportunity to travel to Europe.  Does anyone know the average length of time that is advised to wait between transplant and European travel?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 05:22:29 AM »

The first 3-4 months after transplant are the trickiest. Lots of blood tests, doctor visits, and med adjustments. I would think after that if you're doing well you could go to Europe. It's a pretty safe trip.
lou

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »

I went to Paris 5 months after my transplant.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »