I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 04:26:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hyperthyroidism Post-Transplant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hyperthyroidism Post-Transplant?  (Read 3220 times)
RuthWells

« on: July 25, 2012, 07:15:34 AM »

Hi folks,

I'm wondering whether anyone has experienced hyperthyroidism post-transplant?  I am 5.5 months post-surgery, taking Prograf and Imuran (as I couldn't tolerate Cellcept), and my hair has started falling out at an alarming rate -- the same kind of hair loss I experienced during my pregnancies.

So I played Google Doctor and came up with Hyperthyroidism: difficulty gaining weight (check), heart palpitations (check), diarrhea (check), muscle weakness (check), and hair loss (check).

I'll ask the nephrologist at clinic in 2 weeks at my next appointment, but am just curious whether anyone has experienced this?

Ruth
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »

Well, it could be your thyroid or it could be a combo. It's worth getting a blood test for your thyroid.

Prednisone can cause the hair on your head to fall out while you grow more hair where a woman doesn't want it like your chin. CellCept can cause diarrhea. I don't know about Immuran but it could. I never had trouble gaining weight but everyone is different. Make sure they check your CMV level because that can explain the diarrhea and weight problem. I never had PVCs til after my first transplant but then I got them they're not harmful. Your doc can listen to your heart and know if you need more help.

My point is that we live in side effect land after transplant. Don't freak out about more diseases unless you have to. Hopefully you're ok.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:08 AM »

My point is that we live in side effect land after transplant. Don't freak out about more diseases unless you have to. Hopefully you're ok.

If you read the patient information sheets that come with all of the meds you are taking, all of the symptoms you are having can be a side affect from at least one, if not more than one, of the drugs you are taking.

When I had major surgery 4 years ago, at five months post-surgery, my hair started to fall out, too.  I asked my hairdresser about it, and she said that she sees that all of the time in her clients who have had big ops.  It's a delayed reaction to the trauma of surgery.  So, I'm halfway expecting my hair to start falling out in about 4 months' time.  LOL!  Good news is that the great fallout stopped after a couple of weeks.  It occurs to me that pregnancy can be a big shock to the body, too, in someone who is sensitive to such things.  So, I'd be willing to bet that your problem isn't your thyroid, but it is certainly worth asking about.

Let us know what you find out.  I'm going to go find my broom...

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RuthWells

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

Thanks for that input, Jeannea and Moose Mom.  I have never heard of delayed hair loss this long after a surgery, but it sounds plausible!  I will report back after talking to the neph.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »

I have never heard of delayed hair loss this long after a surgery, but it sounds plausible!  I will report back after talking to the neph.

Oh, it's more than just "plausible"!  It happened to me, and according to my hairdresser, it's certainly not uncommon.  Speaking of which, I really need a haircut, but it's just too hot to move. ::)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RuthWells

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »

I decided to grow out a pixie cut (what was I thinking?!) and am about ready to shave my head.  GAH.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »