I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 08:24:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  6-Way Paired Exchange Transplant Scheduled!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6-Way Paired Exchange Transplant Scheduled!!!!  (Read 2252 times)
Kammie

No Matter What Happens..God Is Always With Me

« on: June 19, 2012, 03:14:03 PM »

Hello All,
I just wanted to let all of you know that I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday, June 26th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I am 'cautiously excited' if that's even a term.  As I posted on here last month, my 'day before' cross match test failed last month and our surgery was cancelled literally hours before the scheduled time.  We were both devastated, but he insisted on signing up for the paired exchange program. 

We were told last week about a 'six-way' paired exchange Transplant (3 donors, 3 recipients).  I have been determined not be so crushed as last time by telling myself, I will believe it when I wake up and they tell me its over! LOL!!! 

Because of what happened before, they have already done 2 cross match tests and will be doing another tomorrow and then again one more time the Monday before.  It's exciting and scary as hell all at the same time...I'm hoping and praying that I'm not the cause of all the surgeries being cancelled!!! It's my understanding that I'm the only one having a 2nd Transplant.  From what they're telling me, they've only ever done a handful of these in our area.. I have complete confidence in my Team and the Hospital but it's still not something you hear of everyday.

My Pre-Op is tomorrow and the Transplant Coordinator will be there to have me sign some consent forms.  How familiar are any of you with this procedure??  Any questions I should ask??

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Kidney Transplant: 2/11/97 
'Rejection'..(Damaged Kidney Resulting in Slow Failure): 2003
Peritoneal Dialysis: 8/2011
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »

:cheer: Great news! Hopefully the final crossmatches are all negative and surgery moves forward as planned!
Do you know what anti-rejection meds they use? Will you be on prednisone short-term or long-term?
Good luck and please keep us posted!
 :yahoo;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Kammie

No Matter What Happens..God Is Always With Me

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »

Okarol - According to my Nephrologist, my anit rejection meds will be the same as they've been the last 15 years... CellCept & Prograf. 

Prednisone?...UGGGGG!  I have been on prednisone also for the last 15 years.  Im on a very low 5mg daily dose now, and can handle it ok.  I've already been told, however, that it will be increased again after this 2nd Transplant for awhile.

When I went to the Transplant Class this time..most things had stayed the same EXCEPT for two things...The donors incision is much smaller! (My brother, my 1st donor, had a 13" Incision!) and they no longer put NEW transplants on prednisone.  I was ecstatic until they clarified 'new'. LOL!!  Since mine is a 2nd transplant, I won't be allowed to 'go off it'.  Doc has promised he'll wean me down again as soon as possible.

I will keep you posted! 

Kidney Transplant: 2/11/97 
'Rejection'..(Damaged Kidney Resulting in Slow Failure): 2003
Peritoneal Dialysis: 8/2011
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:50 PM »

I'm still on prednisone and I'm on my second transplant. The problem is that after this many years on it your adrenal glands stop working and you can't quit prednisone without having problems.

The good news is the new protocols have lower doses. 14 years ago, first transplant, I got 120 mg prednisone each day. 2 months ago, second transplant, I got 20 mg each day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »