I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 12:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Traveling after a transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Traveling after a transplant  (Read 6819 times)
vcarmody

« on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »

I received a call last week letting me know that all my testing is complete and everything looks good.  They wanted to schedule the surgery for May but my husband still has one more test.  After his test is complete and all is good they will schedule the family meeting then the transplant.  I had asked how long after the surgery before we can travel but didn't get the best answer. The reply I got was, you can not fly for 6 months, but they were not sure about cruising.  Does anyone know what the guidelines are for traveling?  I need to know for both me (donor) and my husband (receiptant). 

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

Do you mean ship travel by the word cruising or motorcycle cruising?

Ship travel would be a no no so soon after transplant and motorcycle cruising while a little safer than a ship full of people can have it's own set of difficulties. The body may not just be up to it yet. Also the first year after transplant is generally regarded as the hardest part.

So one thought is how much detail did you give when asking your question? The more information given, the better the answer you should get. If that person doesn't know, go to the next higheer up person such as the doctor.

I am unaware of what the precautions are for a donor though.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
mcclane

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »

I asked the same thing shortly after my transplant, I was advised by my transplant clinic that after 6 months, I can travel but stay close to home.  After 1 year then it is pretty much sky's the limit.

I was also advised that within one year, don't travel to the US - reason being if I do require medical attention the costs can escalate very quickly.

Of course, I am free to do what I want, but I am going to listen to my clinic, as the last thing I need right now is more complications. :beer1;
vcarmody

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »

I was inquiring about cruise ship traveling.  We have a group cruise booked in October that I set up, I hate to be the one that has to back out, but my husband being healthy is more important.  I was thinking maybe I could go, it should be about 5 months after transplant. 

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »

Ohhh, and part of the reason why is that the transplanted person is at first on a hgh dose of anti-rejection meds, so white blood cell count is low an at a higher risk of infection. As time goes on the anti-rejection regiment is adjusted to lower doses that better suit the individual, which in sum cases takes months. All the while labs are needed and depending on the center, the persons labs, labs maybe needed every week/ every two weeks/ monthly/ and then wth some centers it is fnally every three months.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »

I would think the biggest concern would be the crowds of people and the possibility of you catching some disease from one of them. At 5 months you will still be very immune suppressed and it could be an issue. I guess it's your own risk to take but I would be worried.
vcarmody

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:35:19 PM »

Ohhh, and part of the reason why is that the transplanted person is at first on a hgh dose of anti-rejection meds, so white blood cell count is low an at a higher risk of infection. As time goes on the anti-rejection regiment is adjusted to lower doses that better suit the individual, which in sum cases takes months. All the while labs are needed and depending on the center, the persons labs, labs maybe needed every week/ every two weeks/ monthly/ and then wth some centers it is fnally every three months.

Thanks Chris for this information,  I'm sure my husband was told this by the transplant team, but I didn't know this information so it is helpful to me sense I always study his labs like a hawk!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »

I personally would wait a year and then if my meds were stable and all blood work good and I could get travel health insurance, I'd be off.  Be sure to avoid buffets and sushi.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »

Our family had a big vacation planned and paid for -- 20 of us at Disney World.  But, I got my lovely kidney and the trip was 6 weeks later.  The team said no way.  It takes awhile for your medication to be at a good level, small things can go wrong that the transplant center can take care of, if you are nearby.  So, everyone went but us, but I was ok with a new kidney!!

About the cruise:  My daughter worked for Norwegian Cruise Lines.  A ship is the one place where a virus can spread through a ship in a couple of days.  Her ship closed down for 2 days to completely disinfect everything (walls, linens, tables,etc) after several passengers were sick.   There are so many people, touching everything you are going to touch, buffets (that are a no-no for a few months anyway).  There is no way to control your surroundings.

Of course, planes are a very confined environment and you cannot get away from the person behind you coughing or throwing up.   We did a lot of car trips to the beach and mountains (carrying my disinfectant, clorax wipes, lysol for the hotel).   At 19 months, I just ate at my first buffet since transplant.  I watched as they brought new food out and ate that.    We are thinking about a cruise this fall, but I am sure I will still be nervous.   I think most of us are super cautious, since these new kidneys are so valuable to us.   The transplant center will go through all of this at a family meeting before you are released.    Don't rush things too much. It takes a few months to get through recovery.  Good luck to both of you.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
vcarmody

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 08:39:54 AM »

Thanks Paris for the info. I am going to start a list of things to ask to make sure I don't miss anything.  My husband loves to shop and go out to eat so it looks like that will be a no no for a long while after transplant, I'm gonna ask every thing he can and can not do, we will be taking no chances, that is for sure. 

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:24:25 PM »

vcarmody,  I may be more cautious than others, but why not?   We did get a burger after a couple of weeks at a local place that grills over an open flame and you can watch your order be made.  Then we got packets of condiments instead of them putting ketchup on from a squirt thing.    My next try eating out was a baked potato from Wendy's still wrapped with butter on the side (in a sealed container).   You can get very creative!   Another transplantee told me she asked her local Golden Corral when the buffet was the freshest.  They told her they change everything at 4pm for the dinner crowd. So, that is when she goes.   I was told no subs or cold sandwiches because everything has been sitting out for awhile.   

My appetite has never been the same since this whole kidney thing started, so I didn't crave lots of food after.     Oh, and when he is first home, I found that if there were lots of little containers (applesauce, jello, puddings) peanut butter (again, the little "to go" cups are perfect) crackers, etc, on a table beside me, I could eat when I wanted a bite and not always rely on others.   Also, lots of juice boxes, bottles of water to keep beside you.  I found them especially handy during the night.  He will be drinking a ton so the easier it is to obtain, the more he will drink. 

Members here gave me so many tips and lists and it all made my experience better.    I am very excited for you both.  All the hints apply to you too!!   Is anyone going to help you after you get home?   You aren't going to feel great and some TLC would be good for you. 

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »

holly COW VCARMody!!!!!  so a transplant is in order?????  How exciting!!  I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering of you were heading or ON a cruiz these days.  Hadnt heard from you for a while.  Well im one excited friend and will be waiting to hear of your success.  All the blessings for a smooth swithch  ;)  and speedy recovery for both :)  Im happy for you  :cuddle;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »

OK I am getting to this way late I know, but you know it could be useful still.

My 2 cents:

1. vcarmody - as the DONOR - you should be OK to go on the cruise in oct, assuming the tx is (or now was?!! have to check!) say before August or so. Donors in live donations usually recover quicker, and of course you won't be imune supressed so you really shouldn't be worrying about that aspet for YOU. Of course your hubby is another story and I would say he shouldn't be going eithr way, and the issue may be that you may want to stay by his side depending on how he is doing post tx with his meds etc.

2. re travel in general. I did it in a staged way, but a bit sooner than they generally suggest but I advised the TX co-ordinator and did it when I was comfy to because I felt quite stable with meds. First flight was a short (1 hour) hop about 3 months post-tx. then about 5 months I spent a weekend in AUckland, about a 3 hour plane flight away - but in New Zealand they would support me medically if there was an issue, and getting returned to oz would be OK if I needed so I felt quite fine doing that. Then about 6 months later I took a big trip over to the US and that worked out just fine, then I was back a month later for IHD 2011 in Vegas, and that was under a year out, but again with blessing of the medicos. Now I don't really bother telling them. I've just come back a week ago from a quick trip up to a warm spot in oz (Cairns) for a quick break and that worked fine, and earlier this year I took a trip around the world spending time in London and the US.

I would deinitely reommend any travel plans be discussed with the tx team - everyone's situation is different, and I didn't go anywhere without the backing of my team, or at least so they knew, and were OK with it and I had a plan for it - even when I go to the US I know, for example, I can get up to Canada, and they will sort me out as a matter of urgency should I need it because Canada and Australia have recipricol agreements for medical treatment etc, so I feel pretty confident about that.

The only thing of course I am waryof is third world countries, so I won't be planning a trip to India anytime soon, and when I am out, like Paris, I note things like buffet, food warmers etc and am careful with what I consume - like I wouldn't go to a buffet and take something that wasn't newly put out, and I'm very careful to avoid most salads and the like. I think it's a matter of being aware an generally thoughtful of what's going on in terms of foo, hygene, cleanliness etc.

Just my two cents.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »