I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 08:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I can't eat at your house
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I can't eat at your house  (Read 2073 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: June 07, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

How do you tell someone that after your transplant, you can't/won't eat at her house anymore?

One of my neighors is a very kind senior woman who incurred a brain injury several years ago, before I moved here. She isn't quite "normal," maybe because of the brain injury; maybe that's just the way she's always been. She invites me over once a month, but most of the time I manage to dodge her requests. She doesn't have good sanitation habits. Her home is somewhat hoarded and filthy. She said she doesn't think germs are harmful. She also says double-dipping is fine. 

I've watched her prepare food. She sticks her hand into it to see if it's warm enough. Did I mention she likes to garden, doesn't wear garden gloves and her hands/nails are embedded with dirt? Luckily, I don't think she cooks anything from scratch. She get pre-done stuff that she can microwave. Even so, she doesn't microwave it until it's heated very thoroughly, and I saw the state of her microwave. Then there was the time when she mentioned peeing in her yard, just before she dumped a plate of lava cakes on the ground, put them back on the plates and handed them out.

I can't imagine it being safe eating at her house after transplant. I doubt anyone should ever be eating at her house, transplant or not! I'd like to somehow tell her this sooner rather than later, but I don't want to tell her in an insulting way.

Suggestions?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »

Temper your revelation with sadness.

Something like this: My transplant comes with so many restrictions. I can't even eat at buffets any more. I'm sad that I'll have to pass on eating at friends' houses, too.

That way you aren't singling her out. We won't even do Subway anymore. Better safe than sorry!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

Great solution! Short, simple and very non-offensive. Thank you!!!!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »

My gram's cooking got iffy the older she got, too.  What is it with old people and the unwrapped bits of food in the fridge. anyhow?  We always ordered take-out and used paper plates.  You might think about taking a full picnic lunch with you and tell her that you've got so much more energy with the transplant, you're going to treat her now instead of her taking care of you.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »