I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:11:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  transplant in 1 week - eek!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: transplant in 1 week - eek!!  (Read 3600 times)
lainiepop

« on: May 22, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

Hi everyone, am getting bit nervous now cos my transplant (from my dad!) is this time next week, well should be over this time next week! And its just hitting us! Was supposed to be february  but got moved so am half worried its gonna get cancelled or something will go wrong. We're in for the final cross match on thursday, had it done 2 weeks ago and 4 mths ago but they have to repeat it thurs and i start taking my anti rejection drugs saturday (tacro i think). Am excited but scared, will miss my 4 year old boy and 10mth old girl!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »

Excited and scared sounds about right. I just had my second transplant 2 mos ago and things have really changed since my first 14 years ago. I had much less pain and was more alert after the transplant. You will need to stay in the hospital 5-7 days so I'm sure you'll miss your kids. Also, when you come home you won't be able to lift them for a while. But this is so worth it you'll get past all the inconveniences like lots of blood tests, etc.

Congrats! I hope it goes really well for you!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »

Cool! Congrats!

Is is normal/routine to take anti rejection meds BEFORE transplant?

I've never had a transplant, so I'm just wondering.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
bleija

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »

im excited for you, i find out monday if my brother will get approved to donate to me so i kinda know the feeling..... but this is huge
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

i have taken cellcept two days b4 tx.....dont know if protocol or not....just my experience...Chris

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:31:46 PM »

I remember someone telling me they had their anti rejection meds before transplant. I wish I could remember who had told me that.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »

Obviously you only can get transplant meds before a transplant if you have a living donor. I had a deceased donor. They gave me a few pills right before the surgery and more meds by IV during the surgery. Although I had never stopped the prednisone from my first transplant. Probably isn't a bad idea to take a few days of meds if you can schedule your surgery.
lainiepop

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »

thanks everyone! It feels weird now so close cause I don't even feel ill, so seems strange to be having an op, Can't Complain tho cos dad doesn't exactly need one. am so grateful to him don't think i could ever put it into words, makes me want to cry! But then I know I'd do it in a heartbeat for my kids if I could! am worried bout him too, he' s not young, 66, but his health test were excellent & he apparently has the kidney function of a 40 yr old  ;D

BLeija good luck For monday hope the results are good news What are you waiting on ?

Cordelia yes I think it is normal to take the anti rejection drvgs before op with a live donor. probably helps the kidney kick in quicker!

Marie x

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:27:44 PM »

Cordelia yes I think it is normal to take the anti rejection drvgs before op with a live donor. probably helps the kidney kick in quicker!
I didn't think Blokey took any anti-rejection drugs beforehand, but he remembers an argument he had with someone in the grogginess of post-surgery where they said he hadn't and he was pretty adamant that he HAD been given some on the morning of surgery.  But he definitely didn't have any in the days prior to that.

And hey, you'll be fine. And in seven months time it will all seem like a dream ... (well, it does for me ... a blurry, hazy dream).

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »

I had a live donor transplant exactly 6 months ago today  :yahoo; and I wasn't put on anti-rejection meds beforehand. I asked about it, too. Different protocols for different centers, I guess.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
bleija

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »

well i am completely listed, and my brother went and got tested, he had a full day of tests, and everything looked good there, but they are gonna do the compatilbilit stuff and give us an answer on monday... i am so nervous about it... i am happy hes healthy mostly tho
lainiepop

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:03:08 AM »

Hi everyone everything went well,  The figures so far are:  the OP my creatinine was 500, got my Kidney at 3pm tuesday & wed morn 6am bloods showed at 299! and at 6pm wed eve level was 194! this morning's bloods Showed had improved to 117! Don't ever think It's been that Low not since I was under 10 anyhow!
surgeon was very happy wIth it so far & bladder is draining fine but still need
to see what happens when I stand up as my bladder is in different place to
normal so its just wait & see.

desperate to see dad, maybe this afternoon, he's amazing best dad ever. he told transplant nurse he felt like he'd been hit by a bus!

Anyway am shattered, marie x

1984 - urostomy op
lainiepop

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »

just got my Latest blood results, Creatinine 86, gfr 7O, lowest I've ever had, can't wait to tell dad. I'm half Laughing half crying & it hurts but I don't care !! Just hope it stays this way!x

1984 - urostomy op
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »