I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  To all the upchuckers.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To all the upchuckers.....  (Read 2176 times)
Lucinda

Life is great!

« on: December 10, 2008, 02:52:53 PM »

Maybe this is one for Nursewrachet but I have never thrown up since I started taking a drug called Titralac.  I take it instead of caltrate and it is an antacid and calcium supplement rolled into one.  I take up to six a day and not only does it keep the vomiting at bay, it also keeps the gout at bay.  It is an non-perscription drug and is sold as an antacid so if any of you have real problems with the vomiting check it out.  If you can't get it over there let me know and I will send you some over.  It is a harmless drug and full of calcium.  Anytime I feel the nausea coming on or an attack of gout I pop a couple and the symptoms disappear.  I just get worried when I read that so many of you are throwing up so if you think it might help let me know. xx   
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »

My constant spewing a combo of diabetic gastroparesis and my high PTH.  I've got Reglan, which helps a lot, since it helps my stomach digest things faster.  I get constantly queasy whenever my PTH is high, though, and the only thing that will fix that is more surgery.  My calcium is high again- also thanks to the PTH- so anything with calcium in it probably would be a bad idea!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »

I too am off Caltrate. My calcium is too high and I have been switched to Renagel. So anything with calcium is a  no no. 

The   :puke;  has become part of my morning routine.    :urcrazy;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

Renagel is a godsend. So glad to get off icky Caltrate nearly a year ago (and Alutabs). Renegel has done wonders for me and finally my Calcium has settled into the acceptable range, and my phos is good too. In fact all my labs are quite good at the moment... knock on wood :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »

We use Tums a lot, depending on the calcium levels.  This sounds like the same type.  Are you using it as a binder as well?  Didn't know about the gout benefit.  I don't know if we have that here.  Could you send me a small bottle to see?  Can send you some $$$$.   Thanks :cheer: :cheer:

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Budluv

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »

Thx Lucinda... I don't have a lot of trouble with calcium But oh good lordy on a biscuit have I gotten some wicked cases of gout.
The only drug my doc gave me was pain killers (weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee) and some stuff that is an 'after the fact'  diarrea building power house.
I'll have to give this a whirl.

;) M Lewis.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »