I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Urostomy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Urostomy  (Read 6122 times)
Yvonne

Yvonne

« on: April 05, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »

John has had his urostomy now for nearly 2 years and in that time we have had so many accidents from leaking bags. I have always had to change it for him every other day, I'm always so careful to dry it with a hair drier before sticking on the new bag.  But over the year we were both getting so annoyed with it keep leaking that we felt we could not stay over night at relation's house's anymore just in case the thing leaked.
After John's hernia operation 10 weeks ago the bag would not stick at all so we made an appointment to see the stoma nurse, she has given John this new bag to try out, by Oakmead John said it is so comfortable he does not know he is wearing it . It has a very thin see through water proof dressing and I'm sure if we left it, it could stay on for ever.  That's the probelm now how to get it off, can't win can we. We have the spray stuff to spray on just before removing but John screams like a girl when I try to get it off. Has anyone had experience of this and got any tips please.  :Kit n Stik;

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »

I haven't peed for like 3 years.  Sounds like kidney failure will someday solve the problem of a Urostomy. 

That wasn't meant to be mean, I was just thinking that it would be nice to not deal with both problems.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

Got both and it still sucks rocks!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

Hi Yvonne...

My mum was due to have a urostomy, but she was on the waiting list for so long, she developed a reflux, and the urine (with a chronic E Coli infection) destroyed her kidneys...

I phoned a friend who has a urostomy, and she says to get that hairdryer out again... If the dressing is warmed, the adheisive becomes softer, and easier to manage... She also says that running warm water from the shower over it will do the same!...

Don't know if this helps...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »

Had to phone the stoma nurse again today as the skin around John's stoma is very very sore.  We are frightened of changing the bag in case it takes off more skin. I feel so sorry for John, but he has just got to live with it. The stoma nurse just said change to a different bag as he may have had a reaction to the glue !!!

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:28:53 AM »

Yeah, sure, just pop a new bag on him.  Do these nurses even think about what they are telling you?  These changes of systems can he very hard on the skin and on him. Sometimes some systems of pouches just do not work for you.  Good luck with it all.

I put Neosporin and antibiotic ointment around the stoma area when it gets red or tender.  Seems to help a lot.  Put it on let sit for a few minutes, then wipe it off.  It leaves a film,but does not seem to affect the bag sticking tome.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:30:29 PM »

Kitkatz  What bag do you use and how long can you keep it on for?  Had to change John's bag twice yesterday as both leaked.  Very embarrassing we were in town having his eyes tested and he said to me no, I've got a leaker, we had to excuse him to the young lady for the smell, she was very good she said my Nan smells worse than that. He had to go into the Lou and wrap around 2 big hankies he had with him, then we had to get on the bus for a 3/4 hour journey home. It happened in the night again, had to change all the bed again. I feel like going out and just buy incontinent pants and do away with the bag!!!!!!!!  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; Thats how we both feel. We always carry spare bags but John can't change them himself I have to do it and in town there was nowhere for us to go in together to change it. That was the first outing we had done together in 2 years other than the hospital visits, so that has really put us off of traveling.  :'(

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »

I use Convatec 2and1/2 flanges and pouches.  I average a wear time of three days usually. Since I am not urinating so much, not as much of a pain in the butt as it was.  Call various ouch manufacturers and ask for samples to try. Eventually you will find something that works for him.

Plus the more you all go out the more comfortable you will become with the pouch on and he will learn to empty at 1/2 full or before and not let it get over filled.  Go out and have some fun. If anyone says anything about a pouching accident tell them to drop dead.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:10:24 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

Thanks Kitkatz. Even the new bags will not stick to John now and the skin around the stoma is very very sore now. The bag will not empty into the night bag as it keeps getting clogged up and John presses so hard on it makes it leak again. He has been told to drink lots of water but still hasn't made a difference. We are both pulling our hair out about this and to top it off the Hernias have come back. Just hope they do not strangulate again, the stoma nurse said there is nothing the Dr. can do unless it becomes an emergency again. We seem to be living on a knife edge. Yvonne

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »

GEt some antibiotic ointment like Neosporin for his skin and get some skin barrier from your ET nurse if you can. I feel for him.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »