I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 03:29:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  filtration fraction change?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: filtration fraction change?  (Read 4912 times)
jelost

« on: May 07, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

I have been on home memo for 4 years. I got a new nurse about five months ago that is when my kt/v (for some reason) went down. She changed my filtration fraction from 35 to 40. Wouldn't that give me less of a good (clean) treatment? Would my time change? I run at 500 for 2 1/2 hours five days a week 20 liters. I start the new ff40 tomorrow.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »

No.  The higher the more your blood get clean and the more time you spend (maybe 15 more minutes).   It's a good thing.  :2thumbsup;

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
jelost

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

Thank you for reply. She also changed my liters to 25. She did not tell me that. She could have told me if I needed more time she told me it would be less time  :stressed;
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »

No.  The higher the more your blood get clean and the more time you spend (maybe 15 more minutes).   It's a good thing.  :2thumbsup;

? The higher the FF the faster the dialysate goes, the shorter the run. If you increase the amount of dialysate you're using 25% I would say you're coming out ahead but if you raise FF and keep the amount of dialysate the same you are getting >less< clearance.

EDITED TO ADD: In rough terms the FF is the rate of dialysate flow as a percentage of the rate of blood flow. If your blood flow is 500 then at a FF of 35 your dialysate is going through the machine at a rate of 175cc/min or 10.5 liters/hour. At an FF of 40 the dialysate is going through the machine at 200cc/min or 12 liters/hour.

20 Liters at 10.5 an hour is about 1hour 54minutes; your actual run length is longer because the amount of fluid you're removing also effects run length (and all these calculations), but if you assume you're taking off the same amount of fluid then the 25 liter run at 40FF should take longer - about a 2h 5m base vs. the previous base of 1h 54m.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:53:24 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
jelost

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »

Thank you. You told me more than my nurse or doctor  :2thumbsup;
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »

Here is Peter's more complete discussion of Filtration Fraction http://www.hemodoc.com/2011/04/understanding-the-nxstage-filtration-fraction.html

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »