I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can hypotension ruin my fistula?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can hypotension ruin my fistula?  (Read 4233 times)
Desert Dancer

« on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

Things have been going merrily along and I'd been feeling great up until about a month ago. Suddenly - and for no apparent reason - my blood pressure has dropped precipitously. I'm so dizzy I can barely stand most of the time and I'm overwhelmingly fatigued. I should also mention that I'm incredibly short of breath all the time - pre- and post-treatment - and had some jaw pain right about when this all started. I had a normal EKG and now I have an echocardiogram scheduled.

Naturally the first thing I did was raise my dry weight; it was 58 so I raised it to 60. No change. My clinic just said, "Oh, raise it to 60.5". Finally, after three weeks of meticulous record-keeping I was able to show them that it is NOT related to my dry weight. I deliberately fluid overloaded myself  - up to 67 kilos - AND stopped taking my atenolol for an entire week. Even at that weight and with no atenolol I was not able get my blood pressure to more than about 82/50. The only effect stopping the atenolol had was for my resting heart rate to go into the 130s/140s so obviously that's not the answer and the doctor had me re-start it.

My nephrologist started me on midodrine to raise my blood pressure almost two weeks ago. While taking midodrine you are not supposed to lie down because it can cause extreme hypertension; you are not supposed to take it within four hours of going to bed. Well, I just got up from an afternoon nap and my blood pressure is 77/40. I don't have and haven't had any symptoms of dehydration whatsoever... no cramping, skin on the back of my hand snaps back immediately, no thirst. It's getting so bad that I'm really beginning to be afraid to come off the machine by myself in the mornings.

But now another worry has occurred to me: can this hypotension screw up my fistula? I barely have a thrill anymore, just a really strong pulse. It doesn't sound right when I lay my arm on my pillow - it's sluggish. I haven't had any problems using it and my pressures on the machine haven't changed at all, but now I'm really freaked out that this low blood pressure is going to cause something more serious than just some dizziness.

Does anybody have any thoughts? Any at all as to what could be causing this or whether it could harm my fistula? Could the fistula be causing the problem? Has anyone else had unexplained hypotension? Help!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:50:59 PM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »

Jaw pain could perhaps be cramp?  When my blood pressure is low I get cramp to the left of my throat.  No cramp anywhere else just there.  I have also had BP issues in the past and I empathise with you on how tired it can make you feel.  Low BP can screw up a fistula, not sure why, Ithink that clotting becomes more of a risk.  What is your sodium level and other electrolytes?  Sorry I can't be more helpful

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Desert Dancer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »

The jaw pain was more of a radiating pain, up my neck all the way into my cheekbone. It lasted for about four days.

All my labs are perfect. I KNEW low BP could screw up a fistula. Dammit.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

Desert Dancer

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:44 AM »

Well, I'm officially on the verge of panic. My fistula's developed a loud wheezing noise.

big777bill

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »

DD I know you said you had a normal EKG but with the jaw pain and low BP I would get to a good cardiologist and see what he has to say. Those are some bad symptoms, very indicative of heart problems. Maybe the echo will show more than the EKG. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless, Bill

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 11:13:13 PM »

My BP has dropped this year significantly.  Docs do not know why. Not a lot of research out there on low BP.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 05:27:07 AM »

I don't know if this helps, but oxygen during dialysis helps mitigate cramps.  I pray you heal soon.   :pray;
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:14 AM »

In answer to your question, yes. Hypotension can ruin your fistula. Low blood pressure means slower flow through the fistula leading to a danger of clotting.

From an access point of view, it's better to be slightly "wet" than to be slightly "dry". The balance is to not be too wet that you get into fluid overload. Most people can tolerate a 1/2 kilo-1 kilo over their dry weight without symptoms.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
kevinswife

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »

My husband has a graft that has clotted four times.  They have pretty much given up on his graft and are using a perma cath at the moment.  He has been having issues with low blood pressure.  He was so dizzy that he passed out at work last month.  His blood pressure was low (80 something over 50 something, I think).  He had a heart attack!  He didn't have any chest pain.  He just passed out for about one second.  Now he is wearing a defibrillator vest for the next month.  The plan is to do surgery to insert a defibrillator in his chest.  Let us know how the Echocardiogram turns out.  When are you having the test?  I hope everything works out okay for you. 

Wife and care partner to Katonsdad. 
May you rest in peace my dear husband.
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 09:26:52 PM »

Wow, I am really glad you posted this question, because I have so very recently experienced something like that.  I have very bad hypotension generally, but on Saturday, during the middle of my dialysis session, I also was mowed down by acute vomiting and diarrhoea, so ended up 1.5kg below my dry weight.  I was pretty out of it for some hours afterwards,, but once I recovered sufficiently to look around, I noticed in absolute panic that my one hosepipe like fistula was flat and gone, with no bruit, just a pulse.  Next day was Easter, so could only return to Centre yesterday for them to look - it seems the very low BP actually silenced the fistula all together, and it cannot work any more........ tragedy!  I really was unaware that such a thing could happen!
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »

The wheezing sounds,ike you may have a stenosis.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »