I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  passing out if have to be recanulated
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: passing out if have to be recanulated  (Read 2527 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: February 14, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »

good evening,
I have this weird problem sometimes at the very beginning of treatment. Whenever they have to recanulate do to whatever, bad pressures, no flashes, etc. I will have this issue when they finally get me running at the beginning of treatment where when I will get short of breath and feel like I'm going to pass out and swet, basically like low bp but the bp really isn't low, flushing me resolves this issue, this happens at the very first second when I'm hooked up and it happens during a recanulation. This does not happen if I have a one time successful canulation from each needle. I asked my nurse pt about it and she has no idea why this is happening, any ideas? Could it be air bubbles getting into me?

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »

Could be your Vegas nerve has had enough stress and is causing fainting spells.  This happens to my youngest daughter in doctor offices. Whenever she has a painful procedure or even a needle stick she will pass out on the docs.  One doc finally told her it is a reaction in the Vegas nerve and to just warn her docs it is going to happen.  Freaked her dentist out the first time he did work on her!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
fearless

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »

I would guess something like that too.  I feel my whole body begin to feel "empty" when the nurse has to move a needle around or re-stick.  It's weird how mentally I can be cool, but my body just takes over.  It's like I can't really convince my body that having a big ol'dagger stuck in me and all my blood running out before it comes back in is not traumatic. :)
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

Sulli...not sure what is going on with you on this one but I will be interested in reading everyone's input on this.  Hope it gets better for you. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »

ok, I might be waaaay off, don't take this the wrong way, but...

I get this way when they start iv's on me now because for the last few years I've had trouble.  For me it's anxiety, I'm nervous about them blowing veins, etc.

I'm not on hd yet, though, and the fact that it improves after flushing is interesting, and points to a physical problem.  My suggestion is only something I've observed in myself.  Btw, I used to be pretty brave and tough with regard to needles, but since my pcn a few years ago I've had a terrible time vein-wise.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »

well I should have read the replies first, got ahead of myself.  Vagus nerve?  Maybe, that's what caused palpitations for me with my acid reflux/hiatal hernia.  I don't know enough about it to know if recannulation would do it, but I know it can affect mood, heart rate, etc.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 02:37:07 AM »

:secret;  Friday evening my nurse couldn't find my vein with a road map or a GPS!   I was 15 minutes late getting on dialysis because of it.   Then the machine broke, and I had to switch chairs.  By the time the ordeal was over I had to stay an hour later than usual.  Certainly getting poked and proded by nurses isn't pleasant physically, but mentally it seems to stress me out when getting hooked up is a big problem.  I don't pass out, but I do get wound up.  It, and the cramps if I crash at the end, are the two things I hate the most about dialysis.  Well, then again, there's the fluid restriction and the renal diet, LOL.  And don't forget the days your brain feels "washed out" after dialysis and you can't remember a thing.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »