I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:22:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Angioplasty-sp? I am FREAKED out
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Angioplasty-sp? I am FREAKED out  (Read 3519 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: April 03, 2012, 12:52:56 PM »

So my nurse notices this morning I clotted ONLY while doing an access flow montlly check test   and I was bleeding while in the chair. She couldn't figure out where the bleeding was coming from cuz it wasn't coming from the needle itself, there was a blood bubble (as beas as I can describe it) in the  plastic part? The lumen? I don't know what the piece is called anyways.  Sooooo they had to put me half on my chest cath since I still have this stupid chest line and then used the one needle.

Anyways, the nurse freaks me out by saying something about having to do an angioplasty. Now I don't know a whole lot about this procedure but I recall reading places on here that it hurts.

If my access flow doesn't go well on Thursday, then they have to do a "fistula study" What the heck is that???

All these terms I have no idea what all is involved. I'm very, very nervous for Thursday.    I'm so freaked out by these terms.....I get scared and nervous of the unknown!

Today just SUCKED.  The hospital lab was closed due to a contamination and blood labs were supposed to be today.  If they don't do labs Thursday then I'm screwed cuz then I have to worry about Easter meal on Sunday and eating things I didn't think I'd have to worry about since labs should have been done before Easter.

Oh, and one of my twin daughters had a mild seizure at school and I had to go and pick her up from school and I felt so horribe for her.

It's just been a crappy day!!!!!!!!!!!        ::)          :'(       :(

I could royally scream right now!!!!       :rant;

Is this procedure something I should be asking a sedative for? Does it hurt? What should I expect? How long do these damn things take? Am I gonna be tied up at the hospital all  day?         :(

My fistula has been running just fine.  I didn't need this fistula drama right before Easter!        :'(

Oh God, my fistula just started to bleed right now!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:57:44 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:57:10 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

I'm with you on the crappy day!

but the fistulagram is not that bad. Carl had one to open a stenosis (narrowing) and there was just a tiny, tiny slit where they put the scope and balloon in. He had dialysis as usual that evening.

I'm sorry about the labs. My advice is to enjoy some of the food you love for Easter. Just don't over-do it.  :2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »

Oh Cordelia, I'm sorry this has you freaked out!  I would be climbing the walls, too, probably without good reason.  LOL!  I wish I had some calming advice for you, but I know nothing about these sorts of procedures.

As for Easter food, I agree with wtw in that you should enjoy your feast while not overdoing it.  If your labs come back abnormal, well, there will be a lot more labs after this one, right?!

Let us know what happens on Thursday, OK?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »

Thank you so much MM and WT.         :grouphug;      I am wishing tomorrow morning away!

I am worried        :(      :(      :(      :(

I don't know what to expect.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:21:37 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:38 AM »

Cordelia,

When Carl went in, we got there very early and were home long before lunch. the procedure took only a few minutes and Carl had a mild "twilight" kind of sedative. He had no pain at all.

Dear, Cordelia, worry is not good for you. Take a deep breath and let yourself settle into a calmer state of mind. Like I said, Carl's fistula was just fine for using that same day. I wish I could be there to hold your hand. Try to imagine that I am sitting right there with you, supporting you at every moment. It will be fine.

I wish your team had told you more about what to expect.  :stressed;  They should not have left you so uninformed that you would need to be so worried.  :boxing;

So, dear..... remember that this is a VERY simple procedure. When Carl went into the operating theater and I went to the waiting room, I sat down, settled myself in for a wait, opened my computer, and was called up to the desk to talk with the surgeon (by phone) that surgery was over!!! It was that fast!

:cuddle;

It will go well for you, too.

Aleta

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »

Cordelia, hubby has had multiple fistulagrams (at least 8) and multiple angioplasty procedures.  We are on a first name basis with the angio staff at our local hospital, he's been there so many times.  You will be sedated and probably sleep through the entire thing.  He has never had any pain from it and other than groggy for a few hours afterwards, was able to go back to the normal routine that afternoon.   I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers but everything will be fine.   :cuddle;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:24:34 PM »

When I still had my graft (leftover from my second transplant) and started Dialysis again they had to do a fistulagram (or angioplasty...I believe they're much the same procedure) the procedure turned out not be that bad.

I was fearful too before the procedure.  They put an IV in and give you pain medication to help you relax and take away the pain, so that's something to look forward to :)  They wheel you into an operating room and tape down your arm to side table and wrap and clean it completely.  They then inject a needle and flush the access anywhere from one to three times.  It feels warm but doesn't hurt.  And then you're done!

Make sure to be up front with how nervous you are when you arrive.  I've done this in the past and they were kind enough to give me a little extra.  During one of the procedures I actually conked out and woke up about any hour later in the recovery room.  You'll need to have someone pick you up or call a taxi; they won't let you drive on your own after the procedure.

I wish you nothing but the best.  It'll be okay, I promise.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:24 PM »

Thanks everyone for the heads up.   Thankfully, I won't have to have it. My access flow went well today and no problems, I am happy to report   

:bandance;      :bandance;      :bandance;       :bandance;

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »

I'm so glad for you! And as my dear husband would say....all that worry for nothing.  :cuddle;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »

I can feel your relief from here!  LOL!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »

Fistulas take time to develop.  It seems like nothing comes easy once you are on dialysis.
lsamen

Lynda Samen

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:55:28 PM »

Cordelia, Angioplast isnt that bad IF you already have a Tunnel catheter in your chest.  It's not fun, and burns some.  I am Christian and have to turn all my fears over to GOD.  Have no idea how others do it, but for 5 years on dialysis I have never been alone in that chair.  God is beside me always.  I have high blood pressure and an "AV Graft" so I bleed after treatment.  I invented something to stop the bleeding problem after treatment. Be sure to apply pressure and if really bleeding you need to dial 911, YOU could bleed out..take it seriously, it's a vein and an ARTERY!   Write me, Lynda

Sincerely Lynda Samen
Inventor: Safe~T~Sleeve
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

I don't bleed between treatments much,  I  think I had a little bleeding twice in about 2 months right after treatment, which wasn't too bad.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

I had a surgeon who only used local, it was a bit disconforting but my new surgeon uses a miled versed and something else, can't remember the med right now.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »

I'm not all sure what will be involved with the removal of mine.

Riverwhispering

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

This is a kewl thread.  I've heard the term used and was thinking it was going to be awful... picturing it to be like rotorooter going up your vein.   Very educational here on IHD... thanks again people

It's only one step from the Jungle to the Zoo
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 05:26:55 AM »

I agree! This place is very educational!         :thumbup;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »